Kahlil Gibran

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Out of all the writers and philosiphers who have touched my life, the greatest one is Kahlil Girbran, aka The Prophet. Jack Kerouac is up there but he's still no Kahlil.

I have a compilation book called The Treasured Writings of Kahlil Gibran that is basically my bible. Mr. Gibran and plain old fishing are my religion. I wanted to share a quote with those of you who have been so amazing and wonderful to me on this board. Hope you enjoy.

" When you tell your troubles to your neighbor you present him with a great part of your heart. If he possesses a great soul, he thanks you; if he possesses a small one, he belittles you".

And my personal favorite:

" He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother for even your own kindred may never know you nor know your true worth"

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
" He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother for even your own kindred may never know you nor know your true worth"

I read the same sign posted above the reception desk at my doctor's office. Of course he knew my 'true worth', it invoiced to the tune of US$100 for an hour of private psychiatric consultation.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
Out of all the writers and philosiphers who have touched my life, the greatest one is Kahlil Girbran, aka The Prophet. Jack Kerouac is up there but he's still no Kahlil.
Wow, Girbran and Kerouac mentioned in the same breath. All someone needs to do is mention Hoffman and Sinclair to bring back those memories of my youth that were long since lost in a purple haze. :smoke:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
learn something new every day...

1. bong

A device made of clay, ceramic, plastic tubing or PVC, glass, a two liter coke bottles, or any other man made or fabricated substance that is normally filled with water to smoke fine and tasty nuggs of marijuanna with; can be of varying lengths and sizes.

"Hey, wanna come over and hit the bong?"

http://www.urbandictionary.com

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Did I miss the point ...

Of the replies to the OP? What the heck does bong and drug induced amnesia have to do with someone expressing gratitude by way of a quote from one of her favorite authors? This site provides invaluable information to anyone seeking information on the DR. I've learned so much from this site to help me every time I visit the DR. :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
shadInToronto said:
Of the replies to the OP? What the heck does bong and drug induced amnesia have to do with someone expressing gratitude by way of a quote from one of her favorite authors? This site provides invaluable information to anyone seeking information on the DR. I've learned so much from this site to help me every time I visit the DR. :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin

Sorry if we like to have a little fun now and again - guys please stop having a laugh now .... didn't realize that it's not possible to share a fond memory that something someone posted brought up - it completely robs the original thought of any meaningfulness and renders it useless.

Puleese, take a chill pill, or a hit on the proverbial bong and appreciate the thoughfull quote as well as the little jokey-wokey!! ;)

Stay well,
Amy

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
amy2761 said:
.... didn't realize that it's not possible to share a fond memory that something someone posted brought up...
Amy, you really hit the nail on the head with that statement. The OP brought back some fond memories. While I was trying to be clever, I was not putting down the OP.

Coincidentally, today I was at my brother's house, and I was chatting with my 15 year old niece about modern day classics (Hemmingway, Dickens, Mark Twain, etc.) and she mentioned that she wanted to read "On the Road" and "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test". I was floored. I asked her did she know what these books were about, and she said she did. It led to a very interesting discussion.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Gotta Sense of Humor?????

Thanks Amy. For those of you that don't have any sense of humor, do a search on this site on the word "bong". You'll find it in my posts now and then. Kindly excuse my age but I had no control over when I was born but I heard about this author when I was in college in the early 70s. Yes, I did alot of bong hits back then but as Sam Ervin said, "anything I did wrong, the statute of limitations ran out of a long time ago." What I read back then was utopian and remains utopian. I don't disagree with love and peace at all. I grew up in that generaiton however, I reserve the right to use the word "bong" whenever and wherever I want to. My use of that word has something to do with free speech in the context of what I did 30 years ago.

Non sequitors? I shall continue to look for my bong. Perhaps if I find it, I will then understand.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Hee hee hee~

My feelings aren't hurt, my skin is pretty thick. And it better be with this bunch!

Okay, yeah I got all sentimental the other night after a few glasses of Hypnotiq, so sue me.

But seriously, my heroes are (in no particular order):

Kahlil Gibran
Kerouac
Kurt Vonnegut
James "Nick" Rowe
Charlie Beckwith
Amelia Earhart (I named my daughter Amelia)
Eminem (no joke)
Scott (yes, Scott here on the board. It's a "Nam thing).

Cheers,

Sunnie

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Coincidentally, today I was at my brother's house, and I was chatting with my 15 year old niece about modern day classics (Hemmingway, Dickens, Mark Twain, etc.) and she mentioned that she wanted to read "On the Road" and "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test". I was floored. I asked her did she know what these books were about, and she said she did. It led to a very interesting discussion.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Mad props to anyone at 15 who wants to read anything written by a beatnik. And now ... my favorite quote from On The Road (although The Dharma Bums is probably his best):

"I want to be like him. He's never hung-up, he goes every direction, he lets it all out, he knows time, he has nothing to do but rock back and forth. Man, he's the end! You see, if you go like him all the time you'll finally get it. "

And who says a bong hit every now and then is such a bad thing? ;)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
It Would Be Intersting ....

Does anybody know (very pointedly bringing this to a DR related topic .....) are there any Dominican authors who write this kind of thing? Or anything close to it?

I'm still working up my nerve to read my first 'Dominican' book, somthing by a spanish author at least and that's why the question came up.

Sunshine - I appreciate your quotes very much, but just a word of advice ..... there are dark forces at work here, if it is not directly DR related these threads seen to magicaly disappear, nobody knows where they really end up .... kinda like a puff of bong-smoke ..... ;)
;)
Stay well,
Amy

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
Wow. Mad props to anyone at 15 who wants to read anything written by a beatnik. And now ... my favorite quote from On The Road (although The Dharma Bums is probably his best)
Yeah, she's a cool kid. I read those books when I was her age, but she's reading it from a totally different (and safer) perspective.

KenoshaChris said:
Rellosk, did you find my bong?
Although it's been many years since I have indulged, for some reason I really did LOL when I read this post.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I actually once did a reading from Gibran at a friend's wedding - at her request, what choice did I have but to indulge her?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Locked, due to lack of DR related content.

On-ward thru the fog!!!!

Tim H. : smoke:

Status
Not open for further replies.