Sosua-what is happening to this town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There was a thread a while back on the negative effects of working girls in Sosua and the police efforts to curb this activity. The main theme of the thread was posed as a question-what sort of Sosua do we want? Do we want a family-oriented town where people can walk around without being hassled by women or do we want another Boca Chica?

Well, I was in Sosua and I noticed a pronounced difference from last year to this year. There seemed to be more bars opening on Calle Pedro Clisante that seem to cater specifically to "the trade". When I went to the clubs, I ran into about 20 girls who were fumigated from Boca Chica. Not just the street girls, but many for the Casas de Chicas that were closed down.

On the bus from Santo Domingo there were a few girls onboard who were on their way to Sosua to work. They cited the pressures of the police crackdowns in the capital and felt that Sosua was the place to go.

I know there are a few hotel and other business owners who must be concerned about the changing face of Sosua. Unless I am mistaken and I did not see what I saw, are there any concerns about what is going on?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Sosua is a designated "Sex Town" and it will always be that way. Tourists go to the DR for two reasons only.
Cheap Vacations & Hookers
DR is the cheapest vacation spot northerners can travel to, and as long it stays like that, they will keep coming, boca chica in the south and sosua in the north, or until Cuba opens up.

Nov 5, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
Sosua is a designated "Sex Town" and it will always be that way. Tourists go to the DR for two reasons only.
DR is the cheapest vacation spot northerners can travel to, and as long it stays like that, they will keep coming, boca chica in the south and sosua in the north, or until Cuba opens up.

Yes..I'm SURE thoes are the only two reasons. :tired:

Has nothing to do with the beautiful country....

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
DR for Cheaper Vacations??

We spend more specifically to travel to DR and stay in accomodations to our liking. The cost to fly is anywhere from $750 to $950 each. Factor in accommodations, groceries and some spending $ and it is not a cheap vacation. However, it is worth it to us. I believe that the country and the people are the biggest attraction, followed by sell-off prices at AI's. I haven't been to Sosua for a long time, and then it was for a short time only. I'm sorry to hear that changes to the area may be driving people away.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ricardo900 said:

Cuba is opened to most of us but some of us still choose the DR and it ain't for the hookers or sankies. :laugh:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Yes..I'm SURE thoes are the only two reasons. :tired:

Has nothing to do with the beautiful country....
Not all, but the majority of tourists, of course there are many tourists who want to hike up Pico Duarte for a little eco-tourism, but the majority want the AI resorts.

Also, all of the carribean islands are beautiful: USVI, Bahamas, St. Kitts, Curacao, etc... but these islands are expensive and most on US currency.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
snowqueen said:
We spend more specifically to travel to DR and stay in accomodations to our liking. The cost to fly is anywhere from $750 to $950 each. Factor in accommodations, groceries and some spending $ and it is not a cheap vacation. However, it is worth it to us. I believe that the country and the people are the biggest attraction, followed by sell-off prices at AI's. I haven't been to Sosua for a long time, and then it was for a short time only. I'm sorry to hear that changes to the area may be driving people away.
I pay $250 to $350 from NYC and in comparison to other carribean islands, DR is cheaper and safer.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Cuba is opened to most of us but some of us still choose the DR and it ain't for the hookers or sankies. :laugh:
Not to Americans, who make up appx. 35% of Dominican Tourism

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
snowqueen said:

The DR is definitely the cheapest out of all the carribean islands to travel to from the UK and as a result attracts a different group of tourist.

You can get last minute deals to the DR from the UK (especially the north coast as east coast tends to be more expensive) for the same price that you would pay to go to europe these days

I would say, in order of price, it goes something like: DR - Jamaica - Cuba - etc etc (from UK, cheapest upward)

Daydream

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
snowqueen said:
Actually no one is being driven away. More people than before are coming to Sosua. That is why all the new activity with building and businesses. Problem when a place grows is that the seedier side grows along with it.

A few years ago the streets were so dead you couldnt even see a Haitian Hooker in the streets at night. In the last year hotels have been sold out for the first time I can remember in 6 years.

Part of life anywhere and Sosua is no different. With growth comes all sorts of elements. My prediction is that Sosua is going to continue to grow in spite the facts I listed. This in NOT JUST A SEX driven tourist market and I would wager that part is very small compared to what the majority come here for.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ricardo900 said:
Tourists go to the DR for two reasons only.

Stop shaking your head, you're getting sand all over the place!

I guess we all know now why YOU come here, "Cheap Vacations & Hookers".
YOU make up a very small % of overall tourism here.

Some of you need to get a clue...

Last edited:

magdalena21

Jun 7, 2005
hi everyone
is true they are 1000 of girls who works in sosua in bar, discothec and like prostitute. i would like to clear something to everyone all this girls who you see on the street or discothec like hookers the 80 or 85% are not native from sosua. i read a lot of message talking bad about people from sosua and i would like somebody to do the same like me the last time that i was there. i ask to every girl who i saw on the street, bar ,beach, restaurant,disco and others places where are they coming from and i got a big surprise some from santiago, boca chica, la vega, mao, monte plata, san francisco de macoris and haiti . now i got my own conclusion , those girls and sankies are destroying sosua. Now tourism is not so big like before and everybody is taking vacation to others places. except for those viejos rabos verdes who like to go to dr to look for young girls. so , i know that they are a lot of people in this forum who go to dr and to finish with this situation. i would like to know if somebody can make una encuesta in sosua.

peace and love
magdalena

Berzin said:
There was a thread a while back on the negative effects of working girls in Sosua and the police efforts to curb this activity. The main theme of the thread was posed as a question-what sort of Sosua do we want? Do we want a family-oriented town where people can walk around without being hassled by women or do we want another Boca Chica?

Well, I was in Sosua and I noticed a pronounced difference from last year to this year. There seemed to be more bars opening on Calle Pedro Clisante that seem to cater specifically to "the trade". When I went to the clubs, I ran into about 20 girls who were fumigated from Boca Chica. Not just the street girls, but many for the Casas de Chicas that were closed down.

On the bus from Santo Domingo there were a few girls onboard who were on their way to Sosua to work. They cited the pressures of the police crackdowns in the capital and felt that Sosua was the place to go.

I know there are a few hotel and other business owners who must be concerned about the changing face of Sosua. Unless I am mistaken and I did not see what I saw, are there any concerns about what is going on?
except for those viejos rabos verde who go to dr to look for young girls

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:

Cuba is more expensive than the DR!

Nov 5, 2004
palmiche said:
Cuba is more expensive than the DR!

Depends where abouts in Cuba, or where specificaly in the DR you are looking to go.

Depends what day you look in the paper for last minute deals, but I have often seen St.Lucia, Cuba andMexico listed as cheaper then the DR.

Not all of the DR is cheap to travel to...like Punta Cana...deffinatly not the cheapest carribean destination.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Robert said:
Stop shaking your head, you're getting sand all over the place!

I guess we all know now why YOU come here, "Cheap Vacations & Hookers".
YOU make up a very small % of overall tourism here.

Some of you need to get a clue...
First of all, I love Dominican People and Culture and been around them for over 20 years. I come for the culture, beautiful people and weather. Dominicans welcome me with open arms in DR and NYC. I was making a point that overall tourism is directly attributed to the cost of the Vacation and the partake of Hookers is just an added and desirable pleasure, not mine. All of the islands are beautiful, but the DR will give you a better bang for your buck, that's all. It does not reflect negatively towards the people.

p.s. I Don't Have Sand In My Hair

regards,
Ricardo

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
First of all, I love Dominican People and Culture and been around them for over 20 years. I come for the culture, beautiful people and weather. Dominicans welcome me with open arms in DR and NYC. I was making a point that overall tourism is directly attributed to the cost of the Vacation and the partake of Hookers is just an added and desirable pleasure, not mine. All of the islands are beautiful, but the DR will give you a better bang for your buck, that's all. It does not reflect negatively towards the people.

p.s. I Don't Have Sand In My Hair

regards,
Ricardo

It's funny about people act like the chocha trade is minimal or doesnt exist. The combination of the women, the climate, the people and price is why people come.

Without the places like BC and Sosua DR would go bankrupt. Why? because it would not be able to distinguish itself from other isles.

Amongst many in the non white community, DR is considered a paradise for guys looking for beautiful coloured women without the american attitudes.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Badussy said:
It's funny about people act like the chocha trade is minimal or doesnt exist. The combination of the women, the climate, the people and price is why people come.

Without the places like BC and Sosua DR would go bankrupt. Why? because it would not be able to distinguish itself from other isles.

Amongst many in the non white community, DR is considered a paradise for guys looking for beautiful coloured women without the american attitudes.

Nobody is saying it doesn't exist, those (not all) of us that live and work here are very aware of what goes on in certain parts of the DR.

The reality is that it forms a VERY small part of overall tourism.
In fact, it doesn't even make a blip on the radar.

The majority of tourists head east to Bavaro and Punta Cana.
These are family orientated vacationers, not single guys looking for girls.
Actually, the above is true of every area in the DR, including Sosua.

Badussy said:
Without the places like BC and Sosua DR would go bankrupt

Would you like me to move that comment to the clown bin, or do you really believe it?

Without places like this, the DR would have a better chance of shaking the image perpetuated by people that have no idea what their talking about.

As I said in an earlier post, some of you need to get a clue...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Minus the sex-tourism

The DR is a very inexpensive vacation and that what attracts tourists the most, can anyone name a cheaper vacation spot?? The same vacation in the Bahamas, USVI, or Puerto Rico would be almost double the total amount.

Nov 5, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
The DR is a very inexpensive vacation and that what attracts tourists the most, can anyone name a cheaper vacation spot?? The same vacation in the Bahamas, USVI, or Puerto Rico would be almost double the total amount.
Yes I already did name cheaper vacation spots.
As I said...it all depends on what day you happen to be looking for a cheap deal.
Some days St.Lucia is cheapest, some days Mexico is the cheapest, some days Cuba is the cheapest......etc.etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.