Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I made the 300,000th post!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not starving to death in the DR ...

Hola todos!

Hope all is well. Yep, still planning the trip in about 3 weeks. I think I've got most of my questions for now answered except:

What would you recommend for eating on a small budget? I don't need to go out for any fancy dinners until I'm working and on my feet but of course I have to eat something. And I've heard the horror stories about high prices on things like PB & J so I know to stay away from things like that. But in the meantime, while I'm finding work and getting used to everything, where/what do you think is the most economical way to eat? I don't have a problem with local food, either. I'm definitely not picky! I actually ate shavings from a camel hoof mixed with some kind of meat that had been festering in the desert sun all day in Balad ... and the sad thing is, it wasn't all that bad! Kinda like Spam mixed with those annoying little popcorn kernels that get caught in your teeth and gums.

And for the record, I'm going to be in the North.

Thanks!

Sunnie

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican Food (rice, beans and a smattering of chicken or beef or some kind of meat) is very economical. All kinds of fruit is now in season and is cheap, especially from vendors trucks. Lots of vegetables, cheap. If you really want to economise, make some local Dominican working class friends fast. I have no idea how they survive and eat on their earnings.. But they do, and I'm sure one can learn a thing or two.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

is it true that human waste is used as fertilizer in the dr? i've heard this and was wondering if it's true.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't make good fertilizer. To high in acid.

If you are in Sosua, you can go to my mini finca if you are hungry!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you will live in Puerto Plata there are many small vendors on the streets selling local food, to descent prices.
    Empanadas, fried Yucca balls, hot dogs, burgers. They cost 10-25 pesos each.

Plate of the day, usually rice, beans, chicken or any other meat, salad is about 70 pesos. If I buy that it is enough for 2 meals for me. But my son eats a whole plate.

If you cook yourself you will find all kinds of veggies, fruit very cheap.
    Bread is about 2 pesos each, and a libra of Gouda cheese is about 150 pesos.
    Milk 35 pesos, juice (natural ) 20 pesos, a 2 gallon at supermarket non-natural about 60 pesos, a package to stir with water 8 pesos.
    Eggs about 2-3 pesos each, a bag of oranges 60 pesos, a pinapple 40 pesos.
    Mangos in the city 3 for 5 pesos, and bananas 2 for 5 pesos...

You wouldn´t drink the water here, you buy a 5 gallon bottle at any corner store ( colmado ), supermarket or pharmacy.
    The first time you pay around 200 pesos ( as you buy the bottle too ), then you just bring the empty bottle and buy a new. Cost 30 pesos.

If you eat out at restaurants there are many different, and not all expensive.
    At Eskina in Puerto Plata ( in the very heart ) you get a super Faijitas de pollo with 4 tortillas for 150 pesos.
    You get a medium pizza ( 8 pieces ) at Panaderia San Jorge by Texaco in the city for 120-150 pesos, depending on topping.

Then, of course there are more expensive places, the above just a few examples.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks..i've heard my question asked numerous times over the years..when people talk about eating vegatables and drinking water in third world countries.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paddy
    thanks..i've heard my question asked numerous times over the years..when people talk about eating vegatables and drinking water in third world countries.
    Is this your first trip to the DR?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mangos

3 for 5 pesos? - Can't buy three limes for 5 pesos - where do I go for my mangos?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Nicky
    3 for 5 pesos? - Can't buy three limes for 5 pesos - where do I go for my mangos?
    All over POP honey.. that´s the price now..
    From trucks, at the stands in the city, on the market..Even Leo, my old neigbour sits on his patio selling mangos for 3 por 5..

Ps. Escott is abroad, you can "borrow" some of his!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast