Doing business in DR

crappies23

Jun 8, 2004
I am from Toronto, Canada and I am thinking of starting a business (farm) in DR growing vegetables and fruits and exporting the produce into Canada. Any suggestions / comments / information will be greatly appreciated. Is there a place where I can get more information?

Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While the idea is great

The realities of getting it going might be rather scary.

#1. What are you thinking of growing?
#1a. What is the Canadian governments thinking of importing this/these crops?

#2. What crops? The DR is a relatively large island (or 2/3 of an island :D) with many different climes for agriculture.

Tell us more and maybe we can sorta point you in the right directions. Yes directions

HB :D:D:D

crappies23

Jun 8, 2004
I am thinking of vegetables and fruits. I don't think there is a problem with importing fruits and vegetables (lettuce) into Canada. I am thinking of setting a farm or buying from a reputable supplier.How much of a capital do I need if I were to set up a (small) farm. My pocket is not too deep, unfortunately.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Boy, you need a 2 x 4 upside the head!

You said "I am thinking of setting a farm or buying from a reputable supplier."

A farm requires land. Vegetables-high quality, need land that is cool, not tropical. You will have to go to Tireo or Constanza. Think millions of pesos (RD$2.9 million pesos = US$100,000) for a tiny piece of land.

The funny part is "reputable supplier" LOL ROTFLMAO!! :p:p:p Here? In Agriculture???

I am sure that Canada is extremely strict regs on vegetable imports. Look at air freight costs, schedules and talk to customs brokers and agriculture inspectors there in Canada before you do anything else. You had better have a market, too. You grow and they don't buy, and your are in deep do-do...

Believe me, if this was something easy to do, it would have been done!

HB :(:(:(

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
crappies23 said:
I am thinking of vegetables and fruits. I don't think there is a problem with importing fruits and vegetables (lettuce) into Canada. I am thinking of setting a farm or buying from a reputable supplier.How much of a capital do I need if I were to set up a (small) farm. My pocket is not too deep, unfortunately.
Just keep thinking, at least that is free and won't cost you a nickle and you won't get taken for the ride of your life.!

What made you think of this great idea to begin with? Just curious what goes on in peoples heads.

Maybe your pockets aren't too deep but your imagination sure is.

Escott

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I doubt with shipping this would work in a million years, vs. Canada's own lettuce and Mexico/US imports. No ships involved or planes.

crappies23

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks for all the inputs that I have received. I guess this is not a very good idea and it just won't fly.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
iN THE WORDS

If the Great AZB: "Thanks God..."

Congratulations fella, you have made a wise decision.

Please do not stop thinking about things like this.

For example: Avocados, Mangos, Macadamia nuts, you know the more esoteric fruits from the tropics...

Get your ducks in line and find a market first, and then we can find suppliers.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:
.... Please do not stop thinking about things like this.

For example: Avocados, Mangos, Macadamia nuts, you know the more esoteric fruits from the tropics...

Get your ducks in line and find a market first, and then we can find suppliers.

Research Olives! Long time before a tree bears fruit but then it just about bears for ever. I've seen areas here that make me think of growing Olives... It just looks right.

aklim27

Jan 31, 2005
Hi, guys. I'm from Russia, Moscow. Question is- is the cost of fruits compares with another suppliers from India, Thai, for example. In Moscow there is very strong competition in such market