Barrios Haina & Gringo

May 31, 2005
There is a Barrio Chino in Haina. I believe that I read in this forum that Timex has a house in el Barrio Chino. I am actually from Haina. I'm from el barrio Gringo. I have some friends that live in el Barrio Chino.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Dragonfly32837!

I can't belive what they are doing to Gringo!
They are cleaning up the place, adding the little kiosk's for the beach, reminds me of a smaller version of Boca Chica.

From the Ball Field on out, they are doing a great job with the place.
Now if they take the old train station, sitting on the plantation rail, run the new tracks to SD, we could have daily service out to the beach, like Robert Moses, did with NYC and Jones Beach on Long Island, NY.

If only horse-**** were horses, beggers would ride.

Tim H.:smoke:

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Hola Timex

Timex said:
I can't belive what they are doing to Gringo!
They are cleaning up the place, adding the little kiosk's for the beach, reminds me of a smaller version of Boca Chica.

From the Ball Field on out, they are doing a great job with the place.
Now if they take the old train station, sitting on the plantation rail, run the new tracks to SD, we could have daily service out to the beach, like Robert Moses, did with NYC and Jones Beach on Long Island, NY.

If only horse-**** were horses, beggers would ride.

It is true. I was there this April and it looks so much better. I heard it was packed for Semana Santa. When I went in April much more people were actually going to bathe in the beach. It is still very dangerous though. But I heard that they are thinking of putting in a retaining wall kind of like the one at Najayo or Boca Chica. Before most people just went down to the beach to exercise. I would sit on my galeria and watch all of the people going down with their workout gear. Sometimes I would accompany my aunt down there to exercise. I just watched. hahahaha. My family lives on calle Las Palmas. Like if you are coming from where the tracks you are talking about are (right under what used to be the bridge) it is the street that goes straight down to the beach. It's in front of the other street that goes out to the ballfield. I do like the idea of the train tracks running to SD. If they clean Gringo Beach we would have a nearby beach and Haineros wouldn't have to drive to Najayo or Palenque whenever they just want to take a dip or sip some Presidentes by the beach. I already hear people calling it Gringo Beach Resort and Golf Country Club. Now that's a bit of a stretch but you know that we Dominicans exagerate. You know the old club that's on that same street where I live on the left right before you get to the end? They are supposedly going to return it back to what it was before. We celebrated my brother's 7th birthday there. It was nice in it's day. And I hope that they do not get rid of the ship that is broken in two. I have been seeing that ship since I was small.

Last edited:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
We should probably take it off-line, but since I moderate it, I can split the thread.

Palenque, I really like this beach, not as calm as the BC waters, but definitely allot less pressure.

I heard that they are thinking of putting in a retaining wall too. That rumor has been kicked around since before Quinone was the Mayor Of Haina.

The Old Club, I have seen photos of that place from around the mid-sixties.
Looking at the people in the photos, you know how Gringo got its name.

My Father In-law, says that when he used to pull his engine into Haina, from the sugar plantation, that Gringo, was one of the most beautiful towns, they would ride thru. He was Locomotive Engineer, for over 20 years.

The ship from hurricane George, that?s an odd site, beautiful landscape, and then your eye's come to rest on that thing. Symbolizes the whole DR, for me. The elephant in the room, no one wants to talk about, it's not a problem or an eyesore to any one who lives there, much like the fleecing by the old government.

Ramons Power Disco, right next to it, that guy makes the best sandwiches around, 30 pesos, and it?s got more fresh ham, tomato & cheese that a Big Mac. You just have to be careful when ordering, it?s 1st come- 1st serve, all the guys in the free trade zones use him. It is not uncommon to catch him in the middle of a 100-sandwich order. I usually order sandwiches for the whole family, and go wait & drink a bunch a presidente in Ramon?s VIP section, and have them deliver them right to me.

While I'm waiting....
Ice Cold Presidente- AC, hot woman dancing- grinding- grinning, loud thumping music, God I'm in Heaven, and my wife has no idea why I like to get take-out from there so much, she just likes the idea of not having to cook. ;)

Last edited:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Dragonfly32837Where is that sandwich place?

Haina, take Duarte, to Banco Popular, turn and head down 1 corner past BP.
If you are standing in front of Ram?n?s P-Disco, the place with the 30ft lion?s head, for an entrance, looking into the mouth of the pussy, look over you right shoulder, 2 doors up, back towards Duarte.

Sandwiches, and nothing but..... he produces over 1000 @ day.
Him & a helper behind the standing room only, kitchen.
Clean, generator back-up, industrial kitchen equipment.
His name is Jon, and he has a portrait of his Dad, who started the place, hanging over the grill.

The sandwiches are absolutly huge, with a ton of ham-cheese-tomato.

Every time I go to RPD and wait, it causes a problem for the security guys.
I politely asked & received permission from the owner, to drink plain old Presidente in the VIP. House rules do not allow that cheap stuff to be purchased and consumed in that area. I simply explained how dangerous it was for a gringo to sit and drink swill, without any arm candy to fend off the ladies. He laughed so hard, he had tears rolling down his face.

Been cool ever since.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Wow. I'm going to have to visit that place on my next trip. I really like the ones at Jorge's. That's on Duarte right in front of Agustin pharmacy near el Cruce. I can only imagine that I will like those sandwiches by Ramon's even more.

It's funny what you said to the security guard at the disco. hahaha.

We always take trips to Palenque Beach because my grandfather from my father's side is originally from Palenque. My little cousin's like it better than Boca Chica because they can play in the waves at Palenque and BC has none.

As far as the ship goes. If you are talking about Georges from 1998 it's wrong. that ship has been there probably late eighties or early nineties. I moved to the states in 1993 and it was already there. I just don't remember when it broke off. I will have to ask my parents or my grandparents.

Yeah, the sugar plantation. All of those houses in gringo were owned by the ingenio and that is part of the reason why until recently all of the houses were worn down. People did not want to fix what is not theirs to begin with. My grandfather bought his a few years back and other people did too. Now everyone has begun to paint them and added their own touch.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I think thats, when the ship, broke off, during hurricane George.
But you are right, it has been there, for decades.

Look for mail, later on this week, with contact info.
We can tip a few, next time your in town.

Thanks
Tim H. :SMOKE:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Playa El Gringo de Haina

I don't recommend visiting, much less living in Haina. According to reputable environmental sources the place is a cesspool and receives raw sewage from both rivers Haina and Nigua. The air is heavily contaminated with sulphur, nitrogen, carbon, and the goundwaters are contaminated with coliforms...

Don't take my word for it...
Haina

May 31, 2005
It is true Mirador. That article is from 2004. I'm hoping that they have started to do something about it. I will research and ask around to find out if something is being done about it. But regardless, I will not stop visiting Haina because that is where my family lives.

May 31, 2005
Timex said:
I think thats, when the ship, broke off, during hurricane George.
But you are right, it has been there, for decades.

Look for mail, later on this week, with contact info.
We can tip a few, next time your in town.

Thanks
Tim H. :SMOKE:
I am so looking forward to my next trip. By the way Power Disco is now called One Way. Have you been there on Mondays? LOL