fun and concern in puerto plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

actor45

Jan 21, 2005
I am going to the dorado naco resort in two weeks. Are there any health concerns to be worried about. I have been told not to drink the water or to have drinks with ice or eat salads. is this true. also i have heard that there is a bad flu or virus going on there and that several hotels have closed. lastly, what can you tell me about nude beaches or topless beaches. pretty ladies or not much to see.
by the way, where can i get a good massage for my wife and me?
thanks for any help.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Well you might not want to drink the tap water but I wouldn't worry about ice or salads. One hotel complex (not in Playa Dorada) did have a stomach virus problem but this was solved - however, they had to close for a week regardless due to pressure from tour operators.

Some women go to topless but you won't find nude beaches.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Since lack of sanitation spreads it you should have Hepatitis A shots whenever you go to the tropics. Water served in AI's is bottled or filtered or chemically treated, as is the ice.

A good friend of mine who has spent his whole life outside the US in Haiti, Honduras etc., won't eat lettuce at all saying you cannot disinfect it without resorting to a blowtorch. Locally grown even washed with filtered water could still be filthy.

Maybe they import it from the USA or Mexico. One hotel in Boca Chica washes each leaf with water and clorox. They don't serve much lettuce.

Note there is a oral vaccine called Dukoral that offers near immunity to cholera and E.Coli which causes most turista from badly handled food.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My first response...

went into computer heaven... rats...

Okay here goes again: you cannot drink tapwater here. Bottled water only.

Ice is fine almost anywhere. Locals don't drink the tapwater either.

I stay away from lettuce too, almost everywhere.

There have been problems with another virus here but is not at your hotel and it was a couple of weeks ago and is being dealt with.

Bring mosquito repellant with at least 22% DEET!

No nude beaches near you, lots of topless sunbathing, lots of beautiful women.

Massage : casa Colonial in Playa Dorada has a good spa with licensed practitioners, more expensive. Sunflower spa at playa dorada plaza but they are not licensed practitioners, less expensive.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
All the advice you see here is great. You always want to erron the side of caution. I am just a little surprised about the warnings against the lettuce. when am there, I eat salads with lettuce and cabbage all the time. Never had a problem.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Anna, I was beginning to think I had lost my mind... Oh well maybe I did lose my mind anyway.....Not a big loss so dont' worry...

actor45

Jan 21, 2005
just got back

planner said:
went into computer heaven... rats...

Okay here goes again: you cannot drink tapwater here. Bottled water only.

Ice is fine almost anywhere. Locals don't drink the tapwater either.

I stay away from lettuce too, almost everywhere.

There have been problems with another virus here but is not at your hotel and it was a couple of weeks ago and is being dealt with.

Bring mosquito repellant with at least 22% DEET!

No nude beaches near you, lots of topless sunbathing, lots of beautiful women.

Massage : casa Colonial in Playa Dorada has a good spa with licensed practitioners, more expensive. Sunflower spa at playa dorada plaza but they are not licensed practitioners, less expensive.

Just got back from a trip on June 26th. The DR is great . The Dorado Club IS NOT!!!!! First the good: Great weather, everyone very friendly. No illnesses( I was worried, but did not do anything special to protect myself other than sunscreen, lots and lots of sunscreen. Beaches were fabulous especially in Sousa. Lots of shopping. Now the not so good.: lots of poverty around the ouitside of the resort. Did not venture out during the vacation except to puerto Plata and sousa. Very nice people but very poor. I would definitely rec. going to these towns.
The Hotel: Totally misrepresented as a five star. was a two star at best. food was barely ok. no air conditioned restaurants at all. the wait staff was ok. the drinks were watered down. best food was at the beach for hotdogs, hamburgers and fried chicken. We took the allinclusive which was a waste. we had to eat out at other restaurants and paid $$$for it. The rooms were spartan and the ac did not work well. I would not go back to this hotel, but I wouild definitlely go back to the DR. By the way, summer is extremely hot. Whe I go back it will be in the winter.
Anyone want any further info, please write

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
actor45 said:
The Hotel: Totally misrepresented as a five star. was a two star at best. food was barely ok. no air conditioned restaurants at all. the wait staff was ok. the drinks were watered down.
This should be listed in the dictionary as the definition of an AI resort.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the DR.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I don?t think there are any 5 star resorts in Playa Dorada.
To sell it as a 5 star resort would be missleading by your travelagent, unless it was a charter.
Charter companies have their own rating, ex 5 xxxxxx (whatever they call it ) is a 5 star rating within their offers in comparence to the other hotels they offer.
It is not a 5-star rating by international comparence.
I also bet you a 5-star hotel costs more than you paid for your holiday.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
drinking tip of the day...

I have been told not to drink the water or to have drinks with ice

Ice kills bacteria in two ways, through cell destruction and dehydration. Putting ice in your drink and shaking it for a couple of minutes will kill outright about 80% of pathogens, and adding a shot or two of a spiritual beverage will turn your drink practically totally antiseptic.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
actor45 said:
Did not venture out during the vacation except to puerto Plata and sousa. Very nice people but very poor. I would definitely rec. going to these towns.
The Hotel: Totally misrepresented as a five star. was a two star at best. food was barely ok. no air conditioned restaurants at all. the wait staff was ok. the drinks were watered down. best food was at the beach for hotdogs, hamburgers and fried chicken. We took the allinclusive which was a waste. we had to eat out at other restaurants and paid $$$for it. The rooms were spartan and the ac did not work well. I would not go back to this hotel, but I wouild definitlely go back to the DR. By the way, summer is extremely hot. Whe I go back it will be in the winter.
Anyone want any further info, please write
You got what you paid for. When you pay very little and get caged into a AI what else could you expect? You pay $799 tops for a week AI and expect the Ritz? Next time stay out of the AI and you will enjoy yourself more. Pay 25 bux a night for a hotel room and get out and around. Have lower expectations unless you feel like going for 100 bux for dinner for two with a little alcohol at Josephs in Sosua. Most other restaurants are featureless and have poor service. Heck I would rather eat home most times.

This is about the hottest I can remember in 5 years by the way. It wasn't nearly as hot last year by my recollection.

Escott

Status
Not open for further replies.