Tumbao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
Someone told me "tu tienes tumbao." What does that mean? I haven't been able to find that word or anything similar in my trusty dictionary. ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What was the conversation about?

The closest I can find is tumba= grave, tumbar=to knock down,tumbo= bump, jolt,

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
It's slang

Morena76,

In what context? That's a term used for music or dancing. Cubans use it when referring to music, rhythm and the way people dance. Juancarlos?

As well it could mean "tienes swing" which means "ritmo".

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lesley D said:
Morena76,

In what context? That's a term used for music or dancing. Cubans use it when referring to music, rhythm and the way people dance. Juancarlos?

As well it could mean "tienes swing" which means "ritmo".

The now deceased Celia Cruz made this phrase famous with her song "La negra tiene tumbao" where in a video it shows a beautiful and sexy girl walking down the Blvd strutting and turning men heads. Man that girl is hot.

The phrase is ralated to the sway in your walk. The way you carry yourself in a sexy way. You can also say that song has "un buen tumbao" which has to do with the rhythm and mambo.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Stodgord...

"tumbao" es un t?rmino que se usa en la salsa....

It could be that in Celia Cruz' "la negra tiene tumbao" of course a very renowned song it means what you described. However, in general terms when someone says "t? tienes tumbao" s/he is referring to your rhythm. Meaning "tienes swing" o "ritmo". My dance teacher who is Cuban tells us all the time "tienen que bailar con m?s tumbao" es decir con m?s swing.

I think OP has to confirm the context in which it was said to her in order to clarify the meaning.

LDG.

Last edited:

Morena76

May 10, 2005
Clarification

Thanks for the answers...sorry I didn't give more detail in my initial post. Recently I was at dancing at a Latin club here in the States and when I walked past a couple of guys, one of them stopped me to tell me that. So I don't know if he was watching me dance or if he was referring to my walk now, since a couple of the posts were conflicting. But I guess either way it was a compliment, right? I didn't ask him what he meant because then he'd know my Spanish isn't as good as my dancing. lol He was smiling, so I just said gracias and moved on. ;)

Last edited:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I know this doesn't fit the context. I think you already got your answer. But just to add: The verb "tumbar" means to knock something over. If something has been "tumbado" it has been knocked down. With a Carribean accent, it would be pronounced "tumbao". Probably more info than needed. Just thought some might like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.