Passport Question

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In order to get a Dominican Passport, does a Dominican (born in the DR) need to show a Birth Certificate, or will their Cedula suffice. Assuming they need a BC to get a Passport and they don't know where they were born, where would they go to get a BC. (I had been told that BC records are kept locally). Does the Cedula show one's place of birth?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You will need a birth certificate. These are kept where you were born, or the nearest large city to it.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
SKY said:
You will need a birth certificate. These are kept where you were born, or the nearest large city to it.

A new birth certificate transcript is needed. Your friend will need to track this down. I would think that if he has a cedula, he could find out at which civil registry office he was registered. He will need to go there to get an original. Then he needs to take that to the JCE office near the Alianza Francesa to get it legalized.

He needs to pay the cost of the passport, about RD$1,500 for a first timer (maybe less) at the Banco de Reservas office. There is an office right at the Direccion General de Migracion where he can pay this.

He also needs 3 2x2 photos with white background.

The process can be filed in a morning. I believe there is a vip rate that lets you do it in a day. Not sure it applies to first time applicants, though.