Suggestion about the reply button.

Are you tired of seeing all those quotes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not sure about others but it gets tiresome to have to read the same long posts over and over when people think they are "replying" but are actually "quoting". I suggest we get rid of the reply button within a post. You can always copy/paste a sentence or two to make your point.

I don't even know if that can be done. Robert, Dolores?

Let's vote.

memo from me
It's hot, they said old people shouldn't be out today in the hot sun so bare with me. :laugh:

Nov 5, 2004
I think it's useful if someone knows how to use it properly. Sometimes it's easier then you want to bring something up for earlier on in the thread.

The problem is ppl who don't know how to use and edit the quoting thing properly, adn just keep clicking on the quote botton because they don't htink to click only on the post reply.

I think this is one of the first and only things i haveever disagreed with Anna on!!! ahhhhh :eek: :nervous:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I have to go...

with Peachez on this one too... So sorry Anna, I make it up to you another time!!!
Secondly I am not convinced it is possible to remove from the forum either...

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
You can always copy/paste a sentence or two to make your point.

I like the reply with quote. It is not rocket science, they should only include the specific point to which they are responding. It helps when following a long thread to know to whom and to what the current poster is responding.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Anna, I think it might be a good idea to have a "How to" sticky that would cover some of the basics such as editing quotes, posting links, pictures, etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You all have valid points. It just seems that people will just quote the same thing again and again on the same page. I think that's the problem. They don't know how to edit out all the other parts while it's in front of them or they don't see the button on the left hand side.

If you're the second or third poster you don't need to quote, we already read it.

rellosk that's a good idea maybe someone will volunteer to write the "how to"
carina maybe?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with you Anna.
Besides taking so long to read, it takes up "band width."
There must be a way.
mkohn

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
In our old format it used to be called "quote" and at least you knew you were quoting and not replying. Not sure why that was changed.

Maybe we can revert back to calling it quote. ;)

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
If there is no quote button, people will start copy-pasting maybe without stating who wrote what... IMHO it would be a real mess...

Jess

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The reply button works fine 95% of the time.

People are not going to cut and paste, it's hard (yes, that's the reality) and it requires thought.

We have no plans to remove the reply button, but yes, I will look at changing the name to "quote".

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Using the "Quote" button---

Serves two purposes;

1) It gives an immediate access to what has ACTUALLY been written and to which segment of the post to which one is replying.

2) It serves as a reminder to those who have 'short" memories as to exactly what they are replying to.

However, often the quote is published out of context so as to be misleading (subjective editing of a quote) and the result is unfair to the person being quoted.

I opt for continuation of the "Quote" button as is and implore all to a more judicious use of that button .

Be fair and use good judgement in your responses and we will have no problems that can't be resolved.

Texas Bill

edited for better clarity???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
We have no plans to remove the reply button, but yes, I will look at changing the name to "quote".

I think the function of the button should be changed so that only a blank window appears in which to write your reply, or the name of the button should be changed to "quote".

I think it is ridiculous that in some threads, poster after poster starts off with an entire previous message when at most they only are reacting to a sentence or two in the previous post. Maybe posters should prove they know how to handle the button before they are allowed to use it.

But seriously, I would favor changing the name to "quote" in the hope that those who have no need to repeat the earlier message will click the "post reply" button to make their reply.

Or, what about including both a "quote" and a "post reply" button in the message window?