Advice on where to go

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
My son and I will be visiting the DR from July 24-Aug2. At this point we are thinking of going to Samana (Las Galeras) but also would like to go to the mountains. Just from the little we've read we were thinking of Jaracaboa.

We're open for suggestions. We're not into the all inclusive tourist hotels and much prefer to stay with local people if we can. My son speaks a little Spanish and I speak about enough to find the bathroom and order beer (not necessarily in that order<G>).

We are planning to rent a car in Santo Domingo and get out of town...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias,

Dick and Adam

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
if you get a chance to go to the north coast, definently visit the Damajagua waterfall...it's near Puerto Plata. a lot of companies take excursions there, and you climb up a bunch of levels with the help of local water guides, and then you slide or jump down to the bottom. tons of fun, and not for the "faint of heart"!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I really wish Dolores would pipe up and tell you

a few of her ideas.

If you have driven here before and know the "rules of the road" you might have a plan. Otherwise, I think I would use public transportation. Be a great way to mingle and have fun.

Assuming you arrive early in the morning, take a cab to the Metro Station in Santo Domingo, and get the afternoon bus to Samana.. In Samana, you can take a local bus to Las Galeras, truly one of God's Chosen Spots.

When you get ready to go, from Samana, take a bus direct to Santiago. There are at least four a day that leave for Santiago. Now, in Santiago, you can rent a car, take the easy drive to Jarabacoa, do some white water rafting if you like, and then take the easy drive to Puerto Plata, and explore the North Shore, wind surf at Cabarete, wine and dine in Sos?a (the ribs at Rochy's are finger lickin' super good.) Then head back to Santiago and take a nice easy bus ride back to Santo Domingo. Plenty of nice places to stay all along the routes just laid out...and cheap, too.

HB :D:D

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
Hillbilly said:
a few of her ideas.

If you have driven here before and know the "rules of the road" you might have a plan. Otherwise, I think I would use public transportation. Be a great way to mingle and have fun.

Assuming you arrive early in the morning, take a cab to the Metro Station in Santo Domingo, and get the afternoon bus to Samana.. In Samana, you can take a local bus to Las Galeras, truly one of God's Chosen Spots.

When you get ready to go, from Samana, take a bus direct to Santiago. There are at least four a day that leave for Santiago. Now, in Santiago, you can rent a car, take the easy drive to Jarabacoa, do some white water rafting if you like, and then take the easy drive to Puerto Plata, and explore the North Shore, wind surf at Cabarete, wine and dine in Sos?a (the ribs at Rochy's are finger lickin' super good.) Then head back to Santiago and take a nice easy bus ride back to Santo Domingo. Plenty of nice places to stay all along the routes just laid out...and cheap, too.

HB :D:D

Thanks for the info...I probably won't take busses since I've got a kidney problem and need frequent "pit stops"....

What are the special rules of the road I need to know for the DR?? I've driven in Costa Rica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Germany and L.A., CA so I better find out what's different there...any advice would be great.

Regards,
dick

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Driving in the DR is like driving in a video game. Motorcycles going past you on the right and the left crossing your bow without notice and jumping over your car if you blink. No rules, no police, no nuttins. Wild wild west and they don't give a rats patutie what you think.

So, drink a lot before you drive, then drink some more while you are driving and you will be fine.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
drdick said:
Thanks for the info...I probably won't take busses since I've got a kidney problem and need frequent "pit stops"....

What are the special rules of the road I need to know for the DR?? I've driven in Costa Rica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Germany and L.A., CA so I better find out what's different there...any advice would be great.
Dick,

The Carribe tour buses have bathrooms. HB's advice on taking the bus is good advice, especially if you are traveling long distances. Before you attempt cross-country driving you should rent a car and do some local driving.

The first rule of driving in the DR is that there are no rules. Besides all the crazy drivers, the situation, if you are unfortunate to get into an accident, can be horrifying.

Here are some threads that discuss the issues:

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
Thanks!

Thanks for the good advice ... no problems driving whatsoever. Had a great time in Las Galeras and everywhere between there and Santo Domingo. Only problem we had was with Adventure Rent a Car...Reserved a 4wd gran vitara and ended up with a 2 wd Honda for the same price. No one showed up to meet us at the airport as promised. Needed the 4WD for places we went but somehow managed to get unstuck when we got stuck a few times.

Been to many Carribean, Central American countries and the peope in the DR are by far the friendliest and most helpful. My Spanish is pretty lame but I managed to get around with help from the locals. Spent a lot of time saying "Permisso, donde esta (whatever the next town on the map was)???!

Accidently got off the Autopista and ended lost in Santo Domingo. Pulled up alongside of a Richard Branson look alike who was nice enough to not only lead us back to the autopista but led us all the way to the turn off to San Franciso. Had to drive 85 to 90 MPH to keep up with the guy but he was sure nice to help us out.

We stayed at a casita at the home of Ron Peters and Karen Voetin outside Las Galeras. We were treated like family. They have 8 horses so we got to do a lot of exploring by horseback. We met all their friends and spent a good bit of the time just hanging out with the local people. I thought the best restaurant in Las Galeras was Samuel's. When I asked Eduar Hernandez the owner how he made the pescado con coco he invited me into the kitchen to watch him make it.

My son got Cuban cigars for all his homeboys and smuggled them back home.

Again, thanks to you and everyone here for the good advice.

Dick