Where to live?

Dunearn

Jun 12, 2005
We are moving to Santo Domingo in August with 3 young children and need to find a place to stay. I am sure this has been discussed already, but I can not find useful threads.
How high is the chance to find a place
- which is a house with a garden for the kids to play in
- for max. USD 1500 p.m.
- close to Lycee Francais
- 3 -4 bedrooms
- fully furnished
In case this is not feasable, where should I sacrifice, rather on the area or get an apartment in a condo? Are there condo's with nice playgrounds in Bella Vista area?
Any hints greatly appreciated!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I think your budget is quite adequate though I am amazed 6 weeks away from moving to a foreign country you have no place arranged yet.

Dunearn

Jun 12, 2005
too close/

ricktoronto said:
I think your budget is quite adequate though I am amazed 6 weeks away from moving to a foreign country you have no place arranged yet.

I was told I had to pay rent as soon as I sign the lease, so it would be better to rent only a few weeks ahead. I intend to have a look in 2 weeks time when I come for a weekend.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I hope you are successful. You certainly have many times more than average Dominicans have so you should be in pretty good shape and in a good area.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Very close to the Mirador Sur/Bella Vista dividing line are the Condominios Anacaona. There are three sets of them, each a block square with about 14 buildings with 6 apartments in each building. They all have lots of green space, play areas, plus a swimming pool and some have a tennis court and basketball half court.

We have lived in one of them for the last 6 years and really enjoy it. Our children have a lot of friends that don't speak English and that has really helped their Spanish. Security is present with condo workers stationed at each entrance gate. The park is right across the street, La Cadena is within easy walking distance and it is still just a very short drive to the Bella Vista Mall.

I would suggest you check out these three complexes as well as looking at houses when you are in the process of looking for a place to live.

Best of luck with your move and new life in the DR.

Dunearn

Jun 12, 2005
sounds good

I will definetely have a look at it, social live and activities for the kids are our priority as my wife will be alone with them (and the helper if we find a good one) from Monday to Friday.