Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Place to Live in DR - opinions needed

hola a todos los personas aqui,

As the relocation/move/escape to DR gets closer, I was wondering where the "best" place to live down there is. I know everyone will have different opinions, and I would love to hear them. Maybe some background info. on me would help...

I am originally from Australia of italian descent. Can pass as a white latino. Speak OK spanish. Been living in Hong Kong, China for past 3 years teaching english. I am just looking for a place where I can live OK, not make a fortune, speak and get spoken to in Spanish (in HK the institutionalised racsim prevents non-chinese learning chinese, and your job opportunities DECREASE with it),a place to kinda feel at home. Get stared at alot for being white here so is that gonna happen there too?. Ill start by teaching english (a sure bet to employment I gather) before branching out. Where are the jobs and environment I yearn for? (Be nice!)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More info

It would depend on what you are looking for, the island is quite big and differs alot...
    Do you want to live by the ocean, in the city, on the countryside????

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default not fussy

Im not too fussy on the envirnoment I will live in, having lived in places as diverse as China and Australia and Miami. But I would like a place where locals are accepting of foreigners but still treat them equal (Im still being traumatised by some places Ive been to!). Also with enough teaching job opportunities (sp). I guess what I am looking for is more tolerance and acceptance rather than a specific physical environment. Any ideas?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildnfree
    I guess what I am looking for is more tolerance and acceptance rather than a specific physical environment. Any ideas?
    I believe tolerance and acceptance of foreigners by Dominicans is the same throughout the Dominican Republic, except perhaps amongst the super wealthy where your acceptance probably depends on your wealth. The ease of acceptance is what foreigners love about the DR.

Your determination as where to live may be based more on where you can find work and whether you want to avoid tourists, rather than your acceptance by Dominicans. What kind of work do you currently do?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently, I am an ESL teacher in Hong Kong.SO I am assuming the opportunities are all in SD? Been here (HK) for three years. My plan is to try to interperet/teach eng over there while I get a feel for the place and find what I really want to do. I am happy to hear about the acceptance of foreigners there. It is not many places that do that. And that is the most important thing for me...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default getting stared at

You mentioned specifically getting stared at for being white. Well, I practically glow in the dark, I'm so white. I didn't think people were staring at me any more, but I was walking with my friend and her little girl one day, and the little girl said, Mommy, why does everybody stare at Peggy? Then I realized that I had become so accustomed to being stared at, that I just didn't notice it any more! I live in Santo Domingo, but tend to spend my time in areas of the city that are less frequented by tourists and expats.
    This also reminds me of a teenager I knew who had grown up in Puerto Rico. There, when you stop at a traffic light, you always look at the people in the cars in the next lane. When she went to the States, she said that people were so rude--they just ignored you at the traffic lights, as if you weren't there!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm white like leche, and while it's true that people will probably stare (a lot!) it's not a bad feeling or with any hostility at all. If anything, it will be a good ice-breaker and a way to make lots of new friends. When I lived in the DR I lived in Santiago and then San Francisco de Macoris. I also spent some time in Cotui and Nagua. I never lived in the capital myself, but I did visit it frequently and for me it was just too much, but then again I'm from a fairly small city myself. I think you'll find plenty of opportunities for teaching no matter what part of the country you go to. My personal favorite was Santiago because to me it was the perfect size, the people were great and very accepting (just like everywhere else there), and it's still relatively close to some nice beaches. Also, there are fewer tourists there, so the experience is much more authentic. But in all reality, no matter where you go I think you'll love it. It's such a beautiful country and culture, I don't know how you could not fall in love with it! Good luck!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superdave83
    My personal favorite was Santiago because to me it was the perfect size, the people were great and very accepting (just like everywhere else there), and it's still relatively close to some nice beaches.
    What's the closet beach from Santiago. I didn't realize Santiago was anywhere near any water (lake, river, or ocean).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    What's the closet beach from Santiago. I didn't realize Santiago was anywhere near any water (lake, river, or ocean).
    Santiago is not just traffic jams and hardware stores. there are some fine rivers and presas (artificial lakes / dams) near by. If you drive up to Janico, you will run into a very beautiful river with clean water. There is even a river in Sabana Iglesia and a presa as well. many santiagueros go there to fish and swim. Driving time is less than about 30 mins to sabana iglesia and a bit more for janico. I, actually, prefer rivers to a beach. Rives have fresh water (not salty) no sand and no huge crowds if you know the right place (secret places). Jarabacoa is about 45 mins to an hour from santiago. Sosua is about 1 1/2 hrs if you drive like a senior citizen.
    AZB

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB
    Santiago is not just traffic jams and hardware stores. there are some fine rivers and presas (artificial lakes / dams) near by. If you drive up to Janico, you will run into a very beautiful river with clean water. There is even a river in Sabana Iglesia and a presa as well. many santiagueros go there to fish and swim. Driving time is less than about 30 mins to sabana iglesia and a bit more for janico. I, actually, prefer rivers to a beach. Rives have fresh water (not salty) no sand and no huge crowds if you know the right place (secret places). Jarabacoa is about 45 mins to an hour from santiago. Sosua is about 1 1/2 hrs if you drive like a senior citizen.
    AZB
    Secret places.... spill the beans...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast