Credit Card Ripoff Jazzy's

mamasboysdq

Apr 21, 2005
I used a credit card at Jazzy's in early May and just found out that every couple of days they are running the card with different amounts. I only used the card there because i thought I had money with me but didn't. Just a note of caution.

Nov 5, 2004
mamasboysdq said:
I used a credit card at Jazzy's in early May and just found out that every couple of days they are running the card with different amounts. I only used the card there because i thought I had money with me but didn't. Just a note of caution.

Where is Jazzy's?

I have just heard mention lately of all these credit card rip offs..I used my credit card quite a bit down there. I assume that the biger hotels and companies, like Avis, for example, should be safer to use. But how common is this?????

I should go back and check my statments...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
OttawaTom said:
What and where is Jazzy's?
I believe* Jazzy's is a strip club halfway between Boca Chica and Santo Domingo on Avenida Espa?a.

Once again, like the gas station scam mentioned in another thread, I believe this is a case of a screw up rather than a scam. Jazzy's has been around forever*, albeit different owners/managers, and I doubt if they would be running a scam. About a year ago I stayed at the Canoa Hilton and it took about 8 months for them to charge my Amex. Evidently they had put the charge on someone else's account. Another time a friend told me that his charge never went through when he stayed at a different hotel.

* Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge. This is not the type of place you would see me frequent. :nervous:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
PeachezNcream84 said:
Where is Jazzy's?

I have just heard mention lately of all these credit card rip offs..I used my credit card quite a bit down there. I assume that the biger hotels and companies, like Avis, for example, should be safer to use. But how common is this?????

You should always check your statements, whether you make charges at home or for a broad (as in the case of Jazzy's).:)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:
I believe*

* Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge. This is not the type of place you would see me frequent. :nervous:

Which does not explain the Rellosk only parking space out front and the Rellosk seat next to the stage with velvet ropes around it.

Note of caution, using a credit card at a whorehouse is probably a bad idea.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
To extend another thread I pay with traveler's cheques, without ID and signed really sloppily.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
ripoffs/credit cards

It always puzzles me. There is a constant litany of foul by posters who are going on vacation. Why not simply put $2,000.oo - $3,000.00 dollars in your pocket and go. If you don't spend it all bring some home. It's o.k.. If you are short and drawing an advance from a c/c do it at home. It certainly seems simpler and worry free to me, at least. How much could it cost to spend 7, 10, 14 days in paradise? The biggest expense would probably be habitation which could be paid before leaving ones home. Duh.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Many people are uncomfortable carrying this amount in your pocket or uncomfortable leaving it in the room.

duhtree said:
It always puzzles me. There is a constant litany of foul by posters who are going on vacation. Why not simply put $2,000.oo - $3,000.00 dollars in your pocket and go. If you don't spend it all bring some home. It's o.k.. If you are short and drawing an advance from a c/c do it at home. It certainly seems simpler and worry free to me, at least. How much could it cost to spend 7, 10, 14 days in paradise? The biggest expense would probably be habitation which could be paid before leaving ones home. Duh.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Debit Cards A No No

PeachezNcream84 said:
Where is Jazzy's?

CHECK BACK ON THIS THREAD I related a little story.......When you use your debit card in the DR your receipt will show the amount in current rate as it should be. It will also show the US dollar amount on the invoice(hotels etc) if you simply divide you see the peso rate is correct, however....................when you get home 2 weeks later, (it takes a while for the bank to get the transaction) and you finally get your statement, the bank uses the rate at their time of process. Depending on which way the peso went between the time of transaction and the time the bank processes this, it can amount to be a big difference. This can also work in your favor but don't plan on it. Last year I paid a hotel I stay at with a debit card. The bill total was $800US divided by the current rate(I think it was about 30 at the time) 24000 peso. Now..................at the time of the bank process it had dropped to 25 peso, divide it out......$960US You will have to do the math for the CANADIAN conversion to US but anyway you look at it you're getting screwed. For something small or ATM machines which will give you a fair or exact rate on that date, and the transaction is complete. Thats why I say bring CASH, I have been doing this for several years. If you want to exchange a small amount into pesos, you can, but most places will take US. You just have tobe on your toes and do your quick calculation in your head to make sure it's correct. When you go home it is also easier, because you don't have to reconvert back to your currency

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ggn420 said:
Last year I paid a hotel I stay at with a debit card. The bill total was $800US divided by the current rate(I think it was about 30 at the time) 24000 peso. Now..................at the time of the bank process it had dropped to 25 peso, divide it out......$960US
In addition to using the exchange rate at the time goes through the bank, most credit cards (and probably debit cards as well) charge a currency exchange fee. While this fee is outlined in the "Terms of Agreement" forms, the exact percentage/amount is not disclosed on the monthly statement. It is generally handled by lowering the exchange rate.