Health Ins for a Dominican Employee

BackInTheUSA

May 31, 2005
Hi,

My friends and I have a registered non-profit in the U.S., with one Dominican employee (who is paid) and the rest of our staff is volunteer.

We would like to provide our paid-employee with health insurance, but we're not sure what a good choice would be, since we aren't a Dominican business or organization.

Our employee works and resides in Santo Domingo. Does anyone have any contacts, or ideas of where to start? I want to provide her with some information (and also have an idea of what I, myself, should expect), as I am "Back In the USA", and this information is not as accessible as it once was to me.

Thank you so much :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have several choices available to you.

A Health Insurance policy through an insurance broker, an ARS, which is like a n HMO or an "Iguala" . An iguala is a deal made directly with a private clinic where you pay a tiny amount every month and they take care of the patient, should the need arise. This is done with lawyers, accountants and doctors.

Also, there is health coverage through the Social Security Institute.

However, if your paid staff member is not a cleaning lady, you had better look at something like CaribAlico ARS or the HUMANA ARS or any of several ARS, including ARS POPULAR.

Hope this helps a bit.

HB

BackInTheUSA

May 31, 2005
Thanks guys :) Nope, the paid employee is not a cleaning lady - she is our coordinator. I will have to look into Humano ARS then, among other things. Thanks :)