Having a joint sponsor for the affidavit of support

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
I will be having a relative be a joint sponsor for bringing my spouse over...reason being I make the income, but don't have to 3 years on the job because I've been in school. I was going to send the information for both my relative's and I income and a letter explaining I've been in school for the past 7years which is why I don't have length on my current job....my questions are

1. Could this count against me because I had to use a joint sponsor
2. Does my information even matter since I don't have the length of time on my job.

3. When do I give/show the information of affidavit of support, during the interview, in the beginning paperwork process, or somewhere in between?

thanks
cb

Nov 5, 2004
cbarrin said:
I will be having a relative be a joint sponsor for bringing my spouse over...reason being I make the income, but don't have to 3 years on the job because I've been in school. I was going to send the information for both my relative's and I income and a letter explaining I've been in school for the past 7years which is why I don't have length on my current job....my questions are

1. Could this count against me because I had to use a joint sponsor
2. Does my information even matter since I don't have the length of time on my job.

3. When do I give/show the information of affidavit of support, during the interview, in the beginning paperwork process, or somewhere in between?

thanks
cb

Sorry..is this for a US visa? or Cdn. visa? UK visa? or where..
Because on the Canadian one you CANNOT have a co-sponser for a spousal visa.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
On the Canadian one do they even have the LICO test for spouses any more?

No they don't - as long as you are not on welfare and are not an undischarged bankrupt (meaning you have not claimed bankruptcy within the past 7 years) you will be approved for SPOUSAL sponsorship... this does not apply to sponsoring other family members! However, that being said, it will definitely help your application if you have a stable job and can prove that it would not be a risk to rely on your financial income to support yourself and your spouse (and possibly their dependants) for the duration of the undertaking - now 3 years or 10 for any dependant children. Clear as mud? Good!