Want To Talk To Your Love Ones In The DR For Free!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
As some of you already know, you can talk with your love ones in the DR for free as long as they have a computer.

Just download Yahoo Messenger Beta. Depending how fast your computer is, it takes a few minutes to download.

If you want to make it a little better, also, get a webcam and have that special person in the DR get one also and BINGO!.

For those that did not know, happy talking!!!!!.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You don't have to use Yahoo; there are others. I use Net Meeting, which is free from Microsoft and lets you talk as well as use a webcam. Skype has a good free program, but talk only, no webcam. And there are others.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!1

Ken said:
You don't have to use Yahoo; there are others. I use Net Meeting, which is free from Microsoft and lets you talk as well as use a webcam. Skype has a good free program, but talk only, no webcam. And there are others.
I know that they are many others but I do not use the others, I use Yahoo and since I do, I posted about it. If I used the others, I would had posted them also.

I see it this way, I don't know how good Net Meeting is becasue I have not used them. So why would I say anything about them if I have no experience with them. I can only post about the ones that I have used.

If anybody use others and they are happy with them, PLEASE let those that do not know, know. The more the merrier!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay caramba!

Ladies and Germs, Damas Y Caradecaballos I forgot to mention that:

All I am trying to do is help those that do not know that this services is out there. I am more than sure that there is at least one member that do not know that it's offered for free.

I don't care which on is better, I just care that people know that it's offered.

Yes, Dragon, Msn Messenger is great also. I used it for many years.

Ok, keep them coming people, the more the merrier!!. ;)

May 31, 2005
I know that Miguel. ;) I am not saying that there are better ones out there. I really cannot say which is better because I don't know. I was just adding to the list as well. :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
miguel said:
I know that they are many others but I do not use the others, I use Yahoo and since I do, I posted about it. If I used the others, I would had posted them also.

I see it this way, I don't know how good Net Meeting is becasue I have not used them. So why would I say anything about them if I have no experience with them. I can only post about the ones that I have used.

Miguel, I wasn't trying to horn in on your thread. Just wanted people who presently don't have Yahoo to know there were other options.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No!!!!!

Dragonfly32837 said:
I know that Miguel. ;) I am not saying that there are better ones out there. I really cannot say which is better because I don't know. I was just adding to the list as well. :)
Dragon and Ken, in no way shape or form am I annoyed. Not at all. I just wanted people to know that I was only talking about the one that I had experience with.

By all means, I hope that everybody would post the ones that they have experience with.

We we are trying to do is help.

Carry on!.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I use msn 7.0 and skype to talk to my loved ones, and not so loved ones as well. Both work great.
If you have dsl and the other parties also have dsl or better, then you can hold a phone conferance between 3 people on skype. I have used it and it works good.
AZb

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a techno-moron, I appreciate1

the information. I "knew" that the service was out there and I had used a rather primitive version a long time ago but I think I will try this new fangled thiny..

Thanks, I know you did good...

HB :D:D:D

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Aol Im

AOL IM works just fine for me ... for those of you who have just entered 2005, these programs have been out for quite some time

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What!

BigCity27 said:
AOL IM works just fine for me ... for those of you who have just entered 2005, these programs have been out for quite some time
I don't know if I just entered 2005 but I do know that these thingies have been around for many years. That's something that I do know, you know, me being a computer analyst/programmer/maker for over 20 years and you know, me being able to built a computer using just about anything, including 2 potatoes, hehe.

Yes, they have been around for a while but there are many people that are not computer literate and do not know that they are "out there".

Btw, don't you need to subscribe to American OnLine in order to get AOL IM?. If yes, don't you have to pay in order to get AOL?. If yes, then that means that you will need to pay in order to get what I am talking about?. Please educate me, if you will since I have never used AOL in my life.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
miguel said:
Btw, don't you need to subscribe to American OnLine in order to get AOL IM?
AOL IM, MS IM, and Yahoo IM are all free. You do not need to subscribe to AOL to get AOL IM.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Another Skype feature

I use Skype myself and am amazed at how much it saves me. Another feature that is really cool is that a person can reserve a number almost anywhere for the year. For instance I reserved a number in New York City at the cost of 30 bucks for the year. All my friends and family can now call that number and it will automatically be transferred to me through my computer at local rates to the caller. So....my brother living in NYC calls my reserved number and reaches me in Santiago for the cost of a local call. Can't beat that!!! It also has a built in voice-mail. Now, get a wireless headset for your computer and you have your "cordless phone".

HB I'd be glad to help you get up and running when I get down there in a couple of weeks.

Ian

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
miguel said:
Btw, don't you need to subscribe to American OnLine in order to get AOL IM?. If yes, don't you have to pay in order to get AOL?. If yes, then that means that you will need to pay in order to get what I am talking about?. Please educate me, if you will since I have never used AOL in my life.
Maybe at first you had to subscribe to AOL, but not now.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
BigCity27 said:
Maybe at first you had to subscribe to AOL, but not now.

That is true; I have the AOL messenger but am not an AOL subscriber. I think they do that so their customers can commnicate with friends and family members who don't have AOL.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Ken said:
That is true; I have the AOL messenger but am not an AOL subscriber. I think they do that so their customers can commnicate with friends and family members who don't have AOL.
I think at first AOL was the only one that had an IM service & if you wanted it, you had to subscribe to AOL. With Yahoo IM, MSN IM, and others offering it for free, AOL had to follow suit.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Skype besides being peer to peer is also computer to landline if you put money with them via PayPal. Something like 1.7 cents a minute. I use it all the time in the states and I use Vonage in the DR which is a VOIP phone service. 25 bux a month and I get unlimited calling to US and Canada. I also have a Woodstock NY number so all you pay for to call me from the states is what it costs to call there and not what you would pay to the DR.

I can also get a UK number and a Canadian number for a additional 5 bux each so I could get calls from there for free also.

Escott

PS>Peer to Peer Skype is the best of all in clearity and price. Skype is FREE unless you use Skype-out which can call a regular phone anywhere in the WORLD.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I think so, too!

BigCity27 said:
I think at first AOL was the only one that had an IM service & if you wanted it, you had to subscribe to AOL. With Yahoo IM, MSN IM, and others offering it for free, AOL had to follow suit.
I think that was the case.

I was on the phone with a friend of mine in the DR, after telling me that the best service is Skype, he called me a moron for not knowing who was "the best service out there".

It was not that I did not know, it's just that some people can not afford, even the smallest amount of money and some people do not have that many people to call. That was my point.

tonsoffun

Sep 26, 2003
no need for messenger or yahoo

no need for yahoo and messenger u can talk to anyone in the world for as little as 1.5 pesos per minute through your telephone and ring any telephone in the world without them having to be on the computer
no monthly fees activation fees nothing you just pay for what u use
pm if u need to know anymore