What is "malla haitiana"?

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Most of you may know that dominicans use "malla haitiana"as hedges.
I'm looking for more information about this plant on the Internet, but the term "malla haitiana" is no good for Google or other search engines, so mi question is if anybody knows the latin or scientific name for "malla haitiana".

Thanks in advance,
Ben

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Bad

Aguayo said:
I'm looking for more information about this plant on the Internet, but the term "malla haitiana" is no good for Google or other search engines, so mi question is if anybody knows the latin or scientific name for "malla haitiana".

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Bad Haitian(female gender) mala malo > bad
I don't know if their spelling it with one l or two ?

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Hmmm...I'm 99% sure that I have the answer for this one, but first I want to give a chance to the experts on all things Dominican. ;)

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Aguayo said:

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Hi Ben, this is a variety of cactus with a white VERY corrosive sap. Nobody will try to get through a fast-growing hedge of this stuff. It really stops barefoot thieves!! Canadian Bob.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Not Quite...

canadian bob said:
Hi Ben, this is a variety of cactus with a white VERY corrosive sap. Nobody will try to get through a fast-growing hedge of this stuff. It really stops barefoot thieves!! Canadian Bob.

Very close, but it's not noted for its 'corrosive sap'. Try again... :glasses:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Raqueta

In the Deep South (San Juan de la Maguana) it's called 'raqueta'. It's a fast growing cactus (if you water it). It make an impenetrable barrier; however, goats tend to munch on it for lack of something better... The sap is like the rubber tree's... Iv'e heard that the sap can blind you... the campesinos say that it works great to extract thorns from your feet (poor some sap, let it dry, pull it off).

If you want some raqueta, drive to the village of Card?n (about 20 minutes south of San Juan de la Maguana, on the road to Vallejuelo), ask for Tinito, and tell him 'El Gualipote' sent you for some raqueta (he has a whole hedge of it growing in his conuco at El Carril).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have

seen Malla used in Moca, Salcedo, Villa Tapia as a fence. It is a succulent, and truly impenetrable obstacle. It is sort of like the century plant or the sisal plant...

But I don't know if this is what you ae looking for....:(:(

HB :D:D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
ma?lla - mesh, netting

It's a plant from the Euphorbiaceae Family (Euphorbia). Here's a sample from google similar to the local variety... euphorbia

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Congratulations Mirador, it seems that you figured this out! The maya I know is the sisal plant as HB mentioned. If I knew how to post a pic, I would. It is a large, spiny plant that in many Latin countries is planted in rows to divide parcels of land..sort of a cheap barbed wire. Cattle, horses, and other animals as well as people soon learn to stay on their own side. The leaves produce a fiber used to make sisal rugs. If anyone does a Google seach for: sisal plant, there are many pictures. Only the original poster knows for sure, but we have not heard from him, have we? :cross-eye

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Sap!

LatinoRican said:
Very close, but it's not noted for its 'corrosive sap'. Try again... :glasses:
My Dominican gardener gave me bad advice! Guess I'll have to fire him..... Canadian Bob.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Stupendous...
Thank you very much for the links and the information about the malla haitiana (I think is malla, which means mesh, netting, not maya, which is somebody from the extinct Mayan empire).
I think it will made a very good fence in my finca.

Ben

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004

Hmmm...so a 'maya' is someone from the extinct Mayan Empire. Gee, thanks for that information, but I was referring to the sisal plant also known as maya in some Latin American and Caribbean countries. If I knew how, I would post a photograph. Oh well, so be it.

Last edited: