Bahia de las Aguilas/Parque Jaragua trip

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
I am trying to organize a 3-day tour from SD to the South-East by car for my next visit in July. Since I have never been there on one of my previous trips I have plenty of questions:
* What type of car do I need? 4x4, or will I have to take a guided tour in a 4x4x in the park anyway and doesn't it make a difference?
* What would you say are the 'must see' in that area in 3-days time? I read something about taino caves and flamingos in Laguna Oviedo, the beach at Bahia de las Aguilas, Cabo Rojo, Polo Magnetico..
* Can you access these beaches coming from Pedernales or is this still Alcoa property?
* What is the best place to look for accomodation in the area? Pedernales? or along the coastline south of Barahona?
* As I have read that this is very arid land, is it OK to do this on a hot and sunny day in July or should I wait for some clouds in the sky?
Thanks for any info.
Bartolomeo

Feb 15, 2005
Day Trip

Bartolomeo67 said:
I am trying to organize a 3-day tour from SD to the South-East by car for my next visit in July. Since I have never been there on one of my previous trips I have plenty of questions:
* What type of car do I need? 4x4, or will I have to take a guided tour in a 4x4x in the park anyway and doesn't it make a difference?
* What would you say are the 'must see' in that area in 3-days time? I read something about taino caves and flamingos in Laguna Oviedo, the beach at Bahia de las Aguilas, Cabo Rojo, Polo Magnetico..
* Can you access these beaches coming from Pedernales or is this still Alcoa property?
* What is the best place to look for accomodation in the area? Pedernales? or along the coastline south of Barahona?
* As I have read that this is very arid land, is it OK to do this on a hot and sunny day in July or should I wait for some clouds in the sky?
Thanks for any info.
Bartolomeo

The best bet is to stay in Barahona itself. I rented a small villa and had a trip set up we by, food and drink were provided. We left early the next day and arrived at bahia de las aguilas early morning. We enjoyed a 5 minute boat ride to swim at it's most beautiful beach and return to eat some lobster before returning home. The next morning we ventured to Polo and returned in time to eat an early diner at the beach at San Rafael.