Hepatitis C

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Does Anyone That Lives In The Dr Have Any Information Or Know Anyone Living With Hepatitis C ? This Is A Growing Problem In The States With Very Little Awareness.being In A Third World Country With Limited Medical Resources I'm Curious As To How It Is Treated.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
I am not a doctor, but from what i've read the current available treatment for Hep C has proven more effective in Caucasian populations than in other ethnic groups.

I am most interested to hear what others may have on this subject.
TEHAMA

May 12, 2005
Its my understanding that Hep C is incurable and ultimately leads to need for liver transplant. There is a hepatitis vaccine available. Its a series of 3 shots. check with your physician for more info.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
TEHAMA said:
I am not a doctor, but from what i've read the current available treatment for Hep C has proven more effective in Caucasian populations than in other ethnic groups.

I am most interested to hear what others may have on this subject.
TEHAMA
Actually there are 4 genotypes, type 1 is the hardest to cure with 48 weeks of treatment and onlt a 50% responce to the interferon medication. Types 2 and 3 are of european, asian and caribbean strains, and are easier to treat requireing 24 weeks of treatment. Thanks for your comment, I too am looking foward to others input. It is a very interesting topic, hot issue in the states....

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Hep C

fko1 said:
Its my understanding that Hep C is incurable and ultimately leads to need for liver transplant. There is a hepatitis vaccine available. Its a series of 3 shots. check with your physician for more info.
I think you are confuseing it with Hep B. Hep B has the vaccine that you are talking about, Hep C is curable, but only with an expensive medication(interferon) that I would think is not available in the DR. There is no vaccine for Hep C

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
fko1 said:
This is wrong. I know someone who went thru the interfuron and another drug and it hasn't shown its ugly head in 2-3 years.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Not correct

fko1 said:
My sister-in-law has Hep c ( a nurse that they believe contacted as part of her job) that is in remission at this point through drug treatments. I think it is true that without the proper treatment it would lead to liver failure but there are many programs of care available in the U.S.

JOHN

P.S. maybe the difference here is the use of the words "incurable" and "remission"-I'm not an expert.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
About ten years ago I had bought the three vials Injection for Hep. C.
I brought two down here with me and if I remember correctly I had the second shot three months latter and last shot after six months.

Gringo

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Escott said:
This is wrong. I know someone who went thru the interfuron and another drug and it hasn't shown its ugly head in 2-3 years.
Escott, It's INTERFERON.....with the combo of Ribaviran, did this person get cured from the treatment ??

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Hep C

Gringo said:
About ten years ago I had bought the three vials Injection for Hep. C.
I brought two down here with me and if I remember correctly I had the second shot three months latter and last shot after six months.

Gringo
Gringo, that is Hep B you're talking about, very different than Hep C. No Vaccine available for C and only one treatment(interferon) available in the states, still only 50% responsive.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ggn420 said:
Escott, It's INTERFERON.....with the combo of Ribaviran, did this person get cured from the treatment ??
I thought I said Interferon. Yes that was the other part of the cocktail. She injected it every week for 1 year and took the pills. All liver functions test normal now and it hasn't shown up for 2-3 years.

If you are interested in more information about this PM me and I will forward you her email address.

Escott

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
ggn420 said:
Gringo, that is Hep B you're talking about, very different than Hep C. No Vaccine available for C and only one treatment(interferon) available in the states, still only 50% responsive.

I may be wrong but I thought they are vaccines for the prevention of A B and C. If not my children had placebo.

I lost my stepmom to Hep C she was living in DR when the illness entered the teminal stage it affected her liver. Her Doctor told her there was nothing they could do for her in the DR. She returned to NY where she had a liver transplant at NYU Hospital. She lived 10 very healthy years taking tons of meds for rejection. She returned to the DR every year and donated as much medicines for treatment of Hep C as she could afford. Had she not left the DR she would have never obtained the transplant or the treatment that she needed.

What I am saying is treatment for Hep C in the 90's was not available I am not sure if it is availabe today. Certain illness you want to be able to come back to the States to treat.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Does Anyone That Lives In The Dr Have Any Information Or Know Anyone Living With Hepatitis C ? This Is A Growing Problem In The States With Very Little Awareness.being In A Third World Country With Limited Medical Resources I'm Curious As To How It Is Treated.

My hunch is that the above poster is fishing for folk remedies.

Actually, Hepatitic C virus infection is at least four times more prevalent that HIV, however, the problem is that it targets the liver and can cause acute or chronic liver disease including cirrhosis and liver cancer. The issue is how to protect the liver and reduce the viral load. There're folk remedies, one uses a plant related to the 'malla haitiana' hedge of a previous poster, the milk or sap a thistle... Before I hired him, my hut caretaker in Azua, Rafo, was stricken with an acute bout of hepatitis, and he was cured by a remedy prepared by a folk healer in San Cristobal...

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Escott said:
I thought I said Interferon. Yes that was the other part of the cocktail. She injected it every week for 1 year and took the pills. All liver functions test normal now and it hasn't shown up for 2-3 years.

If you are interested in more information about this PM me and I will forward you her email address.

Escott
Thanks Escott, I have all yhe info, I was jut curious what direction people went where the conventional western medicines are not available. I might like to talk to her anyway............Thank for the offer, I had to look for this thread under cp, why would it not show up on "todays posts, when people responded at 10 or 11 am ???????

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Mirador said:
My hunch is that the above poster is fishing for folk remedies.

Actually, Hepatitic C virus infection is at least four times more prevalent that HIV, however, the problem is that it targets the liver and can cause acute or chronic liver disease including cirrhosis and liver cancer. The issue is how to protect the liver and reduce the viral load. There're folk remedies, one uses a plant related to the 'malla haitiana' hedge of a previous poster, the milk or sap a thistle... Before I hired him, my hut caretaker in Azua, Rafo, was stricken with an acute bout of hepatitis, and he was cured by a remedy prepared by a folk healer in San Cristobal...
Mirador, thanks for your response, although, I'm not fishing, just curious how the people of the DR handle this monster. There are numerous home or herbal remedies in the states, I'm trying to weed out the truth from fiction, you do this by talking to others who have first hand expierence.Interesting posting...