Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hepatitis C

Brain Doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hepatitis C

Does Anyone That Lives In The Dr Have Any Information Or Know Anyone Living With Hepatitis C ? This Is A Growing Problem In The States With Very Little Awareness.being In A Third World Country With Limited Medical Resources I'm Curious As To How It Is Treated.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a doctor, but from what i've read the current available treatment for Hep C has proven more effective in Caucasian populations than in other ethnic groups.

I am most interested to hear what others may have on this subject.
    TEHAMA

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Its my understanding that Hep C is incurable and ultimately leads to need for liver transplant. There is a hepatitis vaccine available. Its a series of 3 shots. check with your physician for more info.

Brain Doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEHAMA
    I am not a doctor, but from what i've read the current available treatment for Hep C has proven more effective in Caucasian populations than in other ethnic groups.

I am most interested to hear what others may have on this subject.
    TEHAMA
    Actually there are 4 genotypes, type 1 is the hardest to cure with 48 weeks of treatment and onlt a 50% responce to the interferon medication. Types 2 and 3 are of european, asian and caribbean strains, and are easier to treat requireing 24 weeks of treatment. Thanks for your comment, I too am looking foward to others input. It is a very interesting topic, hot issue in the states....

Brain Doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hep C

Quote Originally Posted by fko1
    Its my understanding that Hep C is incurable and ultimately leads to need for liver transplant. There is a hepatitis vaccine available. Its a series of 3 shots. check with your physician for more info.
    I think you are confuseing it with Hep B. Hep B has the vaccine that you are talking about, Hep C is curable, but only with an expensive medication(interferon) that I would think is not available in the DR. There is no vaccine for Hep C

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is wrong. I know someone who went thru the interfuron and another drug and it hasn't shown its ugly head in 2-3 years.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not correct

My sister-in-law has Hep c ( a nurse that they believe contacted as part of her job) that is in remission at this point through drug treatments. I think it is true that without the proper treatment it would lead to liver failure but there are many programs of care available in the U.S.

JOHN

P.S. maybe the difference here is the use of the words "incurable" and "remission"-I'm not an expert.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

About ten years ago I had bought the three vials Injection for Hep. C.
    I brought two down here with me and if I remember correctly I had the second shot three months latter and last shot after six months.

Gringo

Brain Doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Escott
    This is wrong. I know someone who went thru the interfuron and another drug and it hasn't shown its ugly head in 2-3 years.
    Escott, It's INTERFERON.....with the combo of Ribaviran, did this person get cured from the treatment ??

Brain Doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hep C

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo
    About ten years ago I had bought the three vials Injection for Hep. C.
    I brought two down here with me and if I remember correctly I had the second shot three months latter and last shot after six months.

Gringo
    Gringo, that is Hep B you're talking about, very different than Hep C. No Vaccine available for C and only one treatment(interferon) available in the states, still only 50% responsive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast