Dominican Postal Service

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Hi,

I was curious about the Dominican Postal service. INPOSDOM

How does it work or does it work ?

Is it reliable. Will ebay items reach me there when I live there?

I have yet to see a Dominican postman .

Joe

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Joe,

The Dominican postal service exists in name only.

You are best served with private businesses such as EPS or Business Mail.

Regards,
PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For a not altogether serious take on the subject, read this.

Our postman materialises once a year, in the shape of a barely literate scrawled note requesting a Christmas tip.

The question is, whatever for?

I tell a lie. We did receive one letter by post this year, in addition to the postman's note.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
is more of an oxymoron than anything else.

Yet, curiously, it does function for Dominican local mail.

My Christmas card from a friend in the Virgin Islands got here last week. I am not kidding! It was posted on 16 December in San Juan, PR!!, but it came by Business Mail, and was late because they did not put my account number on it!! LOL:p:p:p

Seriously, for good mail service you will have to open an account witn EPS, CPS, or Business Mail or one of the other services. Some of the Evangelicals have weekly flights here that provide a service, too.

Besides, that's why they invented E-Mail!!!

HB :D:D:D

Note: Allow me to add this. The IMPOSDOM does have an afiliation with International Express Mail and these packages do get through in a timely fashion. Much more expensive than normal postage, but much, much less than FEDEX or DHL...In fact, last September I got a phone call at night and the person identified herself as an employee of the IEM office here in Santiago. She was apologetic that she was calling at that hour of the night, but since the previous administration had not paid their phone bill it was impossible for them to call from the mail office, so she was using her home phone to notify clients that they had received IEM packages or letters. I just sat there grinning....how cool and how professional was that? So some things do work.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The Dominican what?? :laugh: :laugh:

Listen to Hillbilly and read chiri's link.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I understand

that by the end of the previous Fernandez administration, the mail was actually being delivered. Like many things, that all changed under Hippo. Is this true, and are efforts being made to reestablish reliable service?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I can only speak for Puerto Plata.
The postoffice is newly repainted and fresh. I have a box there, and I get both mail and newspaper subscriptions.
For newspapers (from Sweden ) I get them 1 week late, and mail from Scandinavia takes about 3 weeks... But I do get it!
Even around christmas we got packages, and all intact.

I have a friend, also Swedish, who subscribes to weekly gossip magazines from Sweden. She has no box, but she gets them, about 2 weeks late by date, always to her house as well in Puerto Plata.

Nov 5, 2004
In the DR I only trust FedEx

I have never sent things to the DR..granted..

But I have recieved a few things from the DR mail via FedEx...

I will NEVER EVER personally use UPS...beacuse of the HUGE problems I have had with them in Canada personally, and different problems numerous business I have worked for have had with UPS.

But in genereal...if it is important..DO NOT US regular mail..use FedEx or something you trust...

for a general letter or something..if you don't mind it taking a few weeks it should be ok. It once took a post card sent from DR to Canada over 1 month to get to Canada. :cross-eye

Last edited:

Chad & Nani

Mar 3, 2005
Ditto! I sent my mother-in-law a Christmas card (from Des Moines Iowa) and we just received it returned from the DR "post office" with out any real indication of why they were returning it. It only took 7 Months to not deliver it!

jojo2130 said:
Hi,

I was curious about the Dominican Postal service. INPOSDOM

How does it work or does it work ?

Is it reliable. Will ebay items reach me there when I live there?

I have yet to see a Dominican postman .

Joe

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Merry Christmas!

I'm still getting Christmas cards from last year - got two last week. I've now decided to hang on to them for next year instead.

- Remember - Post early for Christmas!

Nicky's waiting for maternity stuff sent in January - the trouble is that she is going to have the baby this Wednesday and wont need it.

Brown envelopes (preferred by HM Inland Revenue) seem to whisk their way here at the speed of light. Solution? Get your friends to send important messages in brown envelopes! ;)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
good luck

Simon & Nicky said:
I'm still getting Christmas cards from last year - got two last week. I've now decided to hang on to them for next year instead.

- Remember - Post early for Christmas!

Nicky's waiting for maternity stuff sent in January - the trouble is that she is going to have the baby this Wednesday and wont need it.

Brown envelopes (preferred by HM Inland Revenue) seem to whisk their way here at the speed of light. Solution? Get your friends to send important messages in brown envelopes! ;)

Good luck on Wed. Keep us posted.

Bob K