Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb What items are expensive or Hard to find?

Well, the house is sold ! Now I have to sell the cars and the furniture so I will be there Mid July.

I am looking for a temporary house to stay in. I will have my 20 Year old son and my Girlfriend so at least 2 bedrooms if anyone knows of a place around Cabarete or Sabaneta it would be great ! Maybe even Sosua if the deal is good.

I am still looking for land in the Sabaneta area to build on.

Also I know that many items from our Modern world here in Canada are more expensive in DR.

I was wondering what you folks would recommend that I bring with me. I am considering shipping a 20 Ft container of household goods but I havent made the decision yet.

I also own an older Van (1995 Lumina) and had the thought of shipping the van And Packing it with household items.

Good Idea ? Bad IDea ?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to DR really soon then!

I donīt think you are allowed to pack your van with items if shipping it.
    That is the case at least to/from US from here.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default empty

your vehicle has to be empty of everything including gas. Aslo what you want to ship may be too old to ship to the DR. I think that the vehicle has to be older then 2 years and less then 5 years old. We are planning on shipping our car this fall and is a 2002 .

Bob K

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2130
    Well, the house is sold ! Now I have to sell the cars and the furniture so I will be there Mid July.
    Not to go too much off topic, but since you are gonna be on the North Coast area around this time, in case you wanted to meet up with some of us DR1ers... Check out this thread...

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40691

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would bring a container loaded with: Maple Sirup, Areo chocolate bars, red / black licorice, St- Hubert Gravy, Pillsburry Blueberry pockets, Kraft Peanut Butter, Double fruit jam, Canadian lobster, Popeye cigarettes, Squiky cheese for poutine, Brown casonade, Presidente's Choice hot sauces and chocolate chips cookies.... seeds for planting (veggies,herbs...)

Ok on a serious note, a few things that I have found expensive here in paradise: rechargeable batteries, cordless phone battery, girl ballet outfit, mp3 players, make up, deodorant, perfumes, Levis Jeans, power tools...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with Juanita.
    Most items you find here, some are more expensive or lack quality, but still Iīd say not much is worth the hassle of shipping...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bring books

If you like to read, the cost of shipping them here is prohibitive. There was talk of starting a lending library, but don't think it ever got off the ground. Chocolate chips are near impossible to find, as is shredded coconut (go figure!). Also, you might want to get your prescriptions filled and bring as much as you can unless you have insurance coverage that will kick in. And if you take nutritional supplements or special over-the-counter meds, you might want to bring a good supply of that stuff too, including bandaids.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Books?

Cafemba in POP order in books in English for you. Normal prices.
    Libreria Puerto Plata has an English section.
    Sams Bar has a book exchange also in POP.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

And isn't there a small bookstore in Charimico that also exchanges?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeachezNcream84
    Not to go too much off topic, but since you are gonna be on the North Coast area around this time, in case you wanted to meet up with some of us DR1ers... Check out this thread...

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40691

Why do I have the feeling the rest of my post on this subject disapeared??

------------------
    p.s. I understand when I am drinking and my posts go "missing"...but when I am SOBER and make real comments..I really dont think they should go "MISSING" without an explanation...

Who is the moderator on this forum? Please PM me and explain...so I can understand what your reasoning was....I usally agree with the mods..so long as I get an explanition
    Last edited by PeachezNcream84; 06-17-2005 at 11:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast