What items are expensive or Hard to find?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Well, the house is sold ! Now I have to sell the cars and the furniture so I will be there Mid July.

I am looking for a temporary house to stay in. I will have my 20 Year old son and my Girlfriend so at least 2 bedrooms if anyone knows of a place around Cabarete or Sabaneta it would be great ! Maybe even Sosua if the deal is good.

I am still looking for land in the Sabaneta area to build on.

Also I know that many items from our Modern world here in Canada are more expensive in DR.

I was wondering what you folks would recommend that I bring with me. I am considering shipping a 20 Ft container of household goods but I havent made the decision yet.

I also own an older Van (1995 Lumina) and had the thought of shipping the van And Packing it with household items.

Good Idea ? Bad IDea ?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi and welcome to DR really soon then!

I don?t think you are allowed to pack your van with items if shipping it.
That is the case at least to/from US from here.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
empty

your vehicle has to be empty of everything including gas. Aslo what you want to ship may be too old to ship to the DR. I think that the vehicle has to be older then 2 years and less then 5 years old. We are planning on shipping our car this fall and is a 2002 .

Bob K

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I would bring a container loaded with: Maple Sirup, Areo chocolate bars, red / black licorice, St- Hubert Gravy, Pillsburry Blueberry pockets, Kraft Peanut Butter, Double fruit jam, Canadian lobster, Popeye cigarettes, Squiky cheese for poutine, Brown casonade, Presidente's Choice hot sauces and chocolate chips cookies.... seeds for planting (veggies,herbs...) :cry:

Ok on a serious note, a few things that I have found expensive here in paradise: rechargeable batteries, cordless phone battery, girl ballet outfit, mp3 players, make up, deodorant, perfumes, Levis Jeans, power tools...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I would agree with Juanita.
Most items you find here, some are more expensive or lack quality, but still I?d say not much is worth the hassle of shipping...

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Bring books

If you like to read, the cost of shipping them here is prohibitive. There was talk of starting a lending library, but don't think it ever got off the ground. Chocolate chips are near impossible to find, as is shredded coconut (go figure!). Also, you might want to get your prescriptions filled and bring as much as you can unless you have insurance coverage that will kick in. And if you take nutritional supplements or special over-the-counter meds, you might want to bring a good supply of that stuff too, including bandaids.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Books?

Cafemba in POP order in books in English for you. Normal prices.
Libreria Puerto Plata has an English section.
Sams Bar has a book exchange also in POP.

Nov 5, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Not to go too much off topic, but since you are gonna be on the North Coast area around this time, in case you wanted to meet up with some of us DR1ers... Check out this thread...

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40691

:D:):D
Why do I have the feeling the rest of my post on this subject disapeared??

------------------
p.s. I understand when I am drinking and my posts go "missing"...but when I am SOBER and make real comments..I really dont think they should go "MISSING" without an explanation...

Who is the moderator on this forum? Please PM me and explain...so I can understand what your reasoning was....I usally agree with the mods..so long as I get an explanition ;)

Last edited:

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
Re: house in Sabaneta area

jojo2130 said:
Well, the house is sold ! Now I have to sell the cars and the furniture so I will be there Mid July.

I am looking for a temporary house to stay in. I will have my 20 Year old son and my Girlfriend so at least 2 bedrooms if anyone knows of a place around Cabarete or Sabaneta it would be great ! Maybe even Sosua if the deal is good.

I am still looking for land in the Sabaneta area to build on.

Also I know that many items from our Modern world here in Canada are more expensive in DR.

I was wondering what you folks would recommend that I bring with me. I am considering shipping a 20 Ft container of household goods but I havent made the decision yet.

I also own an older Van (1995 Lumina) and had the thought of shipping the van And Packing it with household items.

Good Idea ? Bad IDea ?
Hi , I have friends who have a vacant 2bedroom house in Veragua (Sabaneta de Yassica) it is brand new and I just came back from 2 weeks in it with the owner's wife in May. If you are interested I can put you in touch with them but must do this before Monday June 20th as I am headed out of the country then. Good luck in your venture.
Elizabeth

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Thanks Great Info !

My plan is 6 Months in a House or apartment until I can get the land and construction underway .

Okay Bandaids . Me Boy (Not Boy George) Not need makeup !

Can someone PM me the details about the "meeting" /party ? I would love to attend ....I went to the link but Im really not up on the local Lingo or places .
I know Cabarete but have only visited Sosua a few times.

Winddrifter I PM'ed you about the house.

Juanita ! Dont like to make you Nuts but I live in Cape Breton and we are having a Lobster party here tomorrow for Fathers day ! Based on your Brand Choices I can see your a Quebecoise I lived in Montreal for 12 years ! and I think you know about Cape Breton Lobster !

Joe

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Personal Preference

Hi Joe,

Might be a good idea to give us a list of the things you don't want to do without or think you will really like to have. From that list then we can tell you what is available and price ranges!

Books : are still hard to find the latest releases. For those who need some, I have lots of books I have already read but will want to trade for ones I haven't read.

Chocolate chips : are available sometimes at PriceMart in Santiago and SD.

Bandaids: seem to be available all over but are pricey. BUT, unless you have little kids or are a clutz how many do you really need?

Makeup and Hair care: tough to find the good stuff. Lots of lesser quality available. That being said: some of the dominican brands are cheap and awesome! Why spend more when you don't need to.

DVD movies: some available for rent locally but limited selection. Very limited selection to buy and expensive in Santiago

Electronics: like DVD and MP3 are expensive here. TV's etc, a little pricey but expensive to ship down. I wonder if it is worth it. A freind shipped a Microwave from Canada, she could have bought a new one for what she paid in shipping and customs fees.

Food stuff: can't get maple syrup. IF you ship it down please send an extra for me! Salad dressing mixes: you most likely won't find what you love in Canada. Bottled: no problem. BUT you can't get Miracle Whip salad dressing - my personal favourite..... You get the idea here....

One persons necessity is another persons dust collector! Tell us what you absolutely can't live without and we will tell you if you can get it!!!

The party is being held in Sosua. Peaches can give you the details. You and your family will be made welcome....

We are glad to help out here.......

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think in general some items are well overpriced here, in comparence to what we are used to from our "home countries", and some are extremely cheap.
Some are not of the quality we might be used to, and some are equal or even better.
Goes for everything from juice, to spoons to dvds...

Thats part of the package when we move to another country, and what we loose on one item we collect when buying another...

Sure there are not as many DVSs for rent here in my hometown as in POP,
but the 5000 they have for rent is enough for me.
Sure a Sony DVD for 3000-4000 pesos is cheaper in Stockholm, but what the heck. If I want one I buy one..
And on and on...because I live here now.

Make it easy for you amigo! There is for sure nothing you will lack of here, just not the brand you have in your hometown, or a few buck more or sometimes less...
Bring things that you absolutely need, like someone posted about medicins etc, and things are you attached to for some reason, practically or emotionally, and you will be just fine here!

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Thanks again

Thanks again for the great info

I hope that I will be in Cabareter by the time that party goes.
Thanks for the welcome . I will be my Son (20 years Old), My Novia and Myself.

Based on my experiences and visits there during the past 7 years , I agree, There will be give and take,

I have 2 Computers and I think that I will bringing those along with My DVD Player (Which by the way are going for about 30$ here nowadays plus taxes of course !!)

I own a 3 bedroom home here (Just Sold) and have a house full of furniture and appliances and am still undecided what I should ship. Like Kitchen Applicances ? I Know No Stoves or Fridges or Dishwashers or large furniture so that decision is made . So i guess what about things like small appliances (Blenders, Deep Fryers, etc etc , Pots, Pans, Linens, televisions, tools and power tools, etc . ) I Love to cook .

If i do decide to ship this stuff Ill throw in Some Maple Syrup ! Otherwise I will bring at least one !

Im Not much for movies (The DVD Player is for music)

I Do like my MITCHUM and good Colognes. What about Spices ? I have a TON of them .

Cant think of anything else right now ....

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
moving

Forget the van, it's too old, limit is seven years. On the other hand getting a vehicle thru customs is a circus you don't want to see. Better to sell at home and buy something here.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Bring it all

Apply for your residency and bring everything and I mean everthing. The tax will be tiny if you use a decent lawyer. OR - get very friendly with your new neighbours. "Can I borrow ...." grows a bit thin after a while. If you were buying a condo then a suitcase and a smile is fine - but you're building a house and this is a VERY different prospect.

I have spent a year trying to track down a particular size mattress base. A lot of the furniture here is rubbish anyway and you will need plenty to fill your new house. "Flat-pack" has not yet reached the Dominican vocabulary. We gave away stuff in the UK which is just irreplaceable and I have spent much of my time trying to track down a Dominican Equivalent to something that I once owned and gave away in the first place. :tired:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I agree...bring it all. If you get here and find you have no use for it...you can easily sell it and probably for more than you paid. Quality products here are EXPENSIVE.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
On my last trip to the DR, on which I traveled all over the country, I spent a major part of my time there investigating what?s available and at what price and what?s not.
I must say that I was surprised to find less market going on than in Ecuador, Colombia etc, even though the DR would seem closer to the US.
I think I have seen many places but I may not have seen it all yet? Anyway, I am presently facing a similar situation as I am also planning my move over to the DR, so, here?s what I am (so far) considering bringing along:

• I am a technical person and most would call me quite handy with a screw driver? this may or may not be your case, but if it is: I did not find a great or satisfactory and competitive supply of tools (at least by far not as to what I found in Ecuador) so, if I was coming from the States, I'd be making a generous shopping stop at Sears for hand tools and Home Depot for machines. Yes warranty may be an issue on machines, but I fear it might be an issue if you buy on the island anyway.
  • Furniture: Again, I might not have found the insider sites and if somebody knows, please post. In most Latin American countries, you?d find sometimes entire streets in most cities or whole villages of certain parts of the country dedicated to building furniture. You?d get anything made well and for dimes on the dollar ? from country style over medieval to Luis XV or modern. I did not find that so far in the DR (?). Also what is being offered for sale in the cities (SDO or STI) is not much and if it is nice (seems to be import too) it is prohibitively expensive. Again, this makes me considering loading up on quality furniture to bring over.
  • Bedding and decoration: No Bed-Bath-and-Beyond, Bedding Barn or Pier 1 Import franchises here. I?d load up on Bed-in-a-bags, quality towels and such too.
  • I am picky about cookware and kitchen utensils, so I will be bringing along new quality pots and pans, silver ware and dishes. It?s available in the DR but not at the variety as in the US or EU. No need to bring your toaster and such? there are many places offering these in the DR generating some kind of a competitive market, thus the pricing can be OK.
  • Entertainment electronics: If you?d ever consider owning a flat screen TV, this might be about your last chance to it without paying x-fold. I?d even bring more than one, if you don?t use it, you will be able to sell them at a profit that will pay a good portion of your transport fees, if not all.
    Same goes with computers.
  • If you come from a 110V area (like the US), you might consider a generator that runs on diesel or even better on subsidized butane/propane (even thou I believe? well, let?s not get into that again here ;) ) and all the other 110V gear you might have or love to have. Appliances are available but pricey even for some pretty dated or basic models.
  • Finally, if you are into music? well, I?m maybe not the typical guy as a play steel guitar, so even most large music stores in the US won?t be able to impress me much? but I still visited some of the larger music stores in SDO and (well sure, no Hawaiian git-tar there, but?) I was surprised at their prices. I just got a nice pair of large congas here in Spain for about USD 110.oo (the pair!!) and I only found a cheap looking set starting at about twice as much in SDO? and congas? well you know, in the land of Merengue, Salsa and Batchatta? you would think they sell better than steel guitars on Maui. So, if you plan to yodel on your porch watching the sun going down over the mar caribe, you better bring along your li?l git-tar and some spare strings.

So, these are just some of the things I would (or actually am considering) bringing along. I have moved overseas in both directions various times and I found out that there are basically two options that work (for me):
1 ? Sell everything before leaving and come with a suitcase with ?cash? and one pair of shoes and a shirt.
2 ? Keep the good stuff / sell the garbage, buy everything that you can get at a considerable discount (some to keep, some to sell) and stuff a container. 20? or 40? does not matter (you might have heard it before; size does not matter, it?s how you use it ;)), as prices do not vary as much. BUY the container if you don?t have a place set up to unload every thing safely at once. They are not as expensive as one would think (used but in overseas shipping condition) and they can be resold, used as storage room, shops and many other things.

Keep in mind that most countries will let you bring in almost everything that can arguably declared as your household goods almost tax free, but only ONCE, when you arrange for permanent residence there, and I believe to understand that the DR offers that deal to new residents. Check with your immigration lawyer and have him arrange the whole thing with his customs broker and the shipper? that almost sounds like legal advise, but be advised that it is not (now that last part almost was legal advise! ;))? it?s just what I plan to do.

I hope this is of help to you? J-D.