Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dominicans view of americans

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dominicans view of americans

just out of curiosity...after reading all those posts regarding how dominicans view europeans..i'd like to know how the people on this board..most of whom have been around dominicans for quite some time..feel how the dominican people feel about americans. and if there are any dominicans who read this ..feel free.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

When my father and I argue, something we do quite often, he always tries to disarm me by saying exasperatedly, “Son, you have forgotten your Dominican roots, you have become so Americanized…”, which makes me protest furiously, and I always retort with something to the effect: “Father, there’s no way I’ve become Americanized, I can’t even stand the idea of living in the U.S…” Now, in DR1, I’m in kindred company, and feel right at home among the expatriates, who like myself can’t stand the idea anymore of living in the U.S.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an American, and I have a hard time trying to decide how I feel about Americans most of the time. The impression I have gotten from the Dominicans I have had contact with over the past six years is that the overwhelming perception of us is that we are all wealthy. I'm not sure that that translates into a feeling about the American character or persona, if, indeed, such a generalization can be made about our diverse culture, and I'm not sure that the Dominicans I know get too much beyond our wealth and standard of living.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

mirador..i think if you polled all those americans that you know that are living in the dr..you'd find out much to your surprise..that they are expatriates not expatriots..and love their country as much as your father loves his.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paddy what exactly do you mean by American!!

is it what do they think about a blonde hair blue eyed caucasian, afro American, or native indians...I mean I am as American as apple pie, eventhough my parents are Dominican, I was born, raised, educated here in the U.S. out of curiousity I stayed in D.R. last year for about six month's, and while there, I really found out how American I really was, you see there are alot of Dominican's living in the U.S. having babies born on American soil and like me we knew our parent's were from somewhere else, but we also knew where we were from... I love Merengue, and Dominican cuisines but I am Americano de corazon!! so when you say what do you feel about American's who are you refering to... because there are hundred's of nationalities who are born in this great country!! maybe you mean how do you feel about a gringo or something? well peace and love paddy

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

i guess what i'm looking for in my answer or question is...how do the dominican people view our character and persona..or is it like ron stated..all about thinking that americans are wealthy..and everything else is a blur. sort of like the guy who meets a beautiful woman with large breasts..all he does is talk to the breasts..get my point?
    the way i feel about americans..and the way i'd like the world to view americans is best illustrated by this article that i came across... and i was wondering if the dominicans and even the people that "can't stand the idea anymore of living in the u.s."..like americans for the people that they are or for the money.

The Reward to kill an American
    What is an American? A primer.

By Peter Ferrara, an associate professor of law at the George Mason University School of Law.

September 25, 2001

You probably missed it in the rush of news last week, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper there an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So I just thought I would write to let them know what an American is, so they would know when they found one.

An American is English or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them choose.

An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God-given right of each man and woman to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country. As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan.

An American does not have to obey the mad ravings of ignorant, ungodly cruel, old men. American men will not be fooled into giving up their lives to kill innocent people, so that these foolish old men may hold on to power. American women are free to show their beautiful faces to the world, as each of them choose.

An American is free to criticize his government's officials when they are wrong, in his or her own opinion. Then he is free to replace them, by majority vote.

Americans welcome people from all lands, all cultures, all religions, because they are not afraid. They are not afraid that their history, their religion, their beliefs, will be overrun, or forgotten. That is because they know they are free to hold to their religion, their beliefs, their history, as each of them choose.

And just as Americans welcome all, they enjoy the best that everyone has to bring, from all over the world. The best science, the best technology, the best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes.

Americans welcome the best, but they also welcome the least. The nation symbol of America welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed.

These in fact are the people who built America. Many of them were working in the twin towers on the morning of September 11, earning a better life for their families.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo and Stalin and Mao Tse-Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world.

But in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

So look around you. You may find more Americans in your land than you thought were there. One day they will rise up and overthrow the old, ignorant, tired tyrants that trouble too many lands. Then those lands too will join the community of free and prosperous nations.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican View Of Americans: Piggy Banks

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Paddy that most Dominicans will have little opinion specifically about Americans. They have many assumptions about Gringos and Gringas. Foreigners tend to be lumped together as North Americans and Europeans, with Brits somewhat separated out. If you are white, you are a foreigner. If you are not white well it is up for discussion. Once a non white foreigner opens their mouth then the differentiation is made.

The overwhelming bias: foreigners are rich. Period. And, they are fair game!

Where I find differentiation is in the tourism area. American tourists are apparently the best tippers! They are also quite demanding and want higher standards in hotels, restaurants etc.

English toursists are labelled as cheap and bad tippers. My personal experience says otherwise. They can be very accepting and accomodating or very demanding.

Europeans are lumped into one big pile and seen as quite the average tourist, not overly demanding but not big tippers either.

Exception: German tourists: are seen as pushy, aggressive and cheap.

Then we have the French Canadians: they are seen as aggressive, arrogant, cheap and loud.

English Canadians: polite, accomodating, decent tippers. But not as good as their American counterparts.

Now, before you attack me - THESE ARE NOT MY OPINIONS. This is what I hear working in tourism! I hear it from locals and from the front line people who work in tourism.

I can't speak for areas like Santiago or SD where there are smaller groups of foreigners. I'd like to hear thoughts from those areas....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them choose."

THIS STATEMENT BELONGS IN THE CLOWN BIN

Muslims are free to worship Islam in Afganisthan
    And I'm sure there are more muslims there than American Muslims.
    I will take any bet on this. How much you got?

According to CIA factbook Afghanistan has 30 million people and 99% are muslim. Thats close to 30 million muslims.

There are more than 30 million American muslims? The same CIA factbook says out of 295,000,000 Americans, 1% are muslim which would be about 3 million or 27 million less than in Afghanistan.

Your numbers/claims cannot be trusted.
    Last edited by Conchman; 06-18-2005 at 11:04 AM.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink anybody wanna play kick-the-can? how about the bucket?

[QUOTE]...American tourists are apparently the best tippers!... English toursists are labelled as cheap and bad tippers.....Europeans are lumped into one big pile and seen as quite the average ... German tourists: are seen as pushy, aggressive and cheap.... Then we have the French Canadians: they are seen as aggressive, arrogant, cheap and loud.... English Canadians: polite, accomodating, decent tippers. But not as good as their American counterparts...."

I'm not one to bowdlerize (wow! finally got to use that word;-) people of different origins or nationalities, but if all my sociological observations come to naught, I risk venturing the thought that of all the nationalities mentioned above, upon approaching a hat covering a concrete brick on a lonely stretch of sidewalk, it's the American who feels tempted to give it one strong kick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast