dominicans view of americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
just out of curiosity...after reading all those posts regarding how dominicans view europeans..i'd like to know how the people on this board..most of whom have been around dominicans for quite some time..feel how the dominican people feel about americans. and if there are any dominicans who read this ..feel free.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
When my father and I argue, something we do quite often, he always tries to disarm me by saying exasperatedly, ?Son, you have forgotten your Dominican roots, you have become so Americanized??, which makes me protest furiously, and I always retort with something to the effect: ?Father, there?s no way I?ve become Americanized, I can?t even stand the idea of living in the U.S?? Now, in DR1, I?m in kindred company, and feel right at home among the expatriates, who like myself can?t stand the idea anymore of living in the U.S.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'm an American, and I have a hard time trying to decide how I feel about Americans most of the time. The impression I have gotten from the Dominicans I have had contact with over the past six years is that the overwhelming perception of us is that we are all wealthy. I'm not sure that that translates into a feeling about the American character or persona, if, indeed, such a generalization can be made about our diverse culture, and I'm not sure that the Dominicans I know get too much beyond our wealth and standard of living.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
mirador..i think if you polled all those americans that you know that are living in the dr..you'd find out much to your surprise..that they are expatriates not expatriots..and love their country as much as your father loves his.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Paddy what exactly do you mean by American!!

is it what do they think about a blonde hair blue eyed caucasian, afro American, or native indians...I mean I am as American as apple pie, eventhough my parents are Dominican, I was born, raised, educated here in the U.S. out of curiousity I stayed in D.R. last year for about six month's, and while there, I really found out how American I really was, you see there are alot of Dominican's living in the U.S. having babies born on American soil and like me we knew our parent's were from somewhere else, but we also knew where we were from... I love Merengue, and Dominican cuisines but I am Americano de corazon!! so when you say what do you feel about American's who are you refering to... because there are hundred's of nationalities who are born in this great country!! maybe you mean how do you feel about a gringo or something? well peace and love paddy ;)

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
i guess what i'm looking for in my answer or question is...how do the dominican people view our character and persona..or is it like ron stated..all about thinking that americans are wealthy..and everything else is a blur. sort of like the guy who meets a beautiful woman with large breasts..all he does is talk to the breasts..get my point?
the way i feel about americans..and the way i'd like the world to view americans is best illustrated by this article that i came across... and i was wondering if the dominicans and even the people that "can't stand the idea anymore of living in the u.s."..like americans for the people that they are or for the money.

The Reward to kill an American
What is an American? A primer.

By Peter Ferrara, an associate professor of law at the George Mason University School of Law.

September 25, 2001

You probably missed it in the rush of news last week, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper there an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So I just thought I would write to let them know what an American is, so they would know when they found one.

An American is English or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them choose.

An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God-given right of each man and woman to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country. As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan.

An American does not have to obey the mad ravings of ignorant, ungodly cruel, old men. American men will not be fooled into giving up their lives to kill innocent people, so that these foolish old men may hold on to power. American women are free to show their beautiful faces to the world, as each of them choose.

An American is free to criticize his government's officials when they are wrong, in his or her own opinion. Then he is free to replace them, by majority vote.

Americans welcome people from all lands, all cultures, all religions, because they are not afraid. They are not afraid that their history, their religion, their beliefs, will be overrun, or forgotten. That is because they know they are free to hold to their religion, their beliefs, their history, as each of them choose.

And just as Americans welcome all, they enjoy the best that everyone has to bring, from all over the world. The best science, the best technology, the best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes.

Americans welcome the best, but they also welcome the least. The nation symbol of America welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed.

These in fact are the people who built America. Many of them were working in the twin towers on the morning of September 11, earning a better life for their families.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo and Stalin and Mao Tse-Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world.

But in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

So look around you. You may find more Americans in your land than you thought were there. One day they will rise up and overthrow the old, ignorant, tired tyrants that trouble too many lands. Then those lands too will join the community of free and prosperous nations.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I think Paddy that most Dominicans will have little opinion specifically about Americans. They have many assumptions about Gringos and Gringas. Foreigners tend to be lumped together as North Americans and Europeans, with Brits somewhat separated out. If you are white, you are a foreigner. If you are not white well it is up for discussion. Once a non white foreigner opens their mouth then the differentiation is made.

The overwhelming bias: foreigners are rich. Period. And, they are fair game!

Where I find differentiation is in the tourism area. American tourists are apparently the best tippers! They are also quite demanding and want higher standards in hotels, restaurants etc.

English toursists are labelled as cheap and bad tippers. My personal experience says otherwise. They can be very accepting and accomodating or very demanding.

Europeans are lumped into one big pile and seen as quite the average tourist, not overly demanding but not big tippers either.

Exception: German tourists: are seen as pushy, aggressive and cheap.

Then we have the French Canadians: they are seen as aggressive, arrogant, cheap and loud.

English Canadians: polite, accomodating, decent tippers. But not as good as their American counterparts.

Now, before you attack me - THESE ARE NOT MY OPINIONS. This is what I hear working in tourism! I hear it from locals and from the front line people who work in tourism.

I can't speak for areas like Santiago or SD where there are smaller groups of foreigners. I'd like to hear thoughts from those areas....

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
"In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them choose."

THIS STATEMENT BELONGS IN THE CLOWN BIN

Muslims are free to worship Islam in Afganisthan
And I'm sure there are more muslims there than American Muslims.
I will take any bet on this. How much you got?

According to CIA factbook Afghanistan has 30 million people and 99% are muslim. Thats close to 30 million muslims.

There are more than 30 million American muslims? The same CIA factbook says out of 295,000,000 Americans, 1% are muslim which would be about 3 million or 27 million less than in Afghanistan.

Your numbers/claims cannot be trusted.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
anybody wanna play kick-the-can? how about the bucket?

...American tourists are apparently the best tippers!... English toursists are labelled as cheap and bad tippers.....Europeans are lumped into one big pile and seen as quite the average ... German tourists: are seen as pushy, aggressive and cheap.... Then we have the French Canadians: they are seen as aggressive, arrogant, cheap and loud.... English Canadians: polite, accomodating, decent tippers. But not as good as their American counterparts...."

I'm not one to bowdlerize (wow! finally got to use that word;-) people of different origins or nationalities, but if all my sociological observations come to naught, I risk venturing the thought that of all the nationalities mentioned above, upon approaching a hat covering a concrete brick on a lonely stretch of sidewalk, it's the American who feels tempted to give it one strong kick.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
paddy said:
i guess what i'm looking for in my answer or question is...how do the dominican people view our character and persona..or is it like ron stated..all about thinking that americans are wealthy..and everything else is a blur. sort of like the guy who meets a beautiful woman with large breasts..all he does is talk to the breasts..get my point?
the way i feel about americans..and the way i'd like the world to view americans is best illustrated by this article that i came across... and i was wondering if the dominicans and even the people that "can't stand the idea anymore of living in the u.s."..like americans for the people that they are or for the money.

By Peter Ferrara, an associate professor of law at the George Mason University School of Law.

September 25, 2001

You probably missed it in the rush of news last week, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper there an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So I just thought I would write to let them know what an American is, so they would know when they found one.

An American is English or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them choose.

An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God-given right of each man and woman to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country. As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan.

An American does not have to obey the mad ravings of ignorant, ungodly cruel, old men. American men will not be fooled into giving up their lives to kill innocent people, so that these foolish old men may hold on to power. American women are free to show their beautiful faces to the world, as each of them choose.

An American is free to criticize his government's officials when they are wrong, in his or her own opinion. Then he is free to replace them, by majority vote.

Americans welcome people from all lands, all cultures, all religions, because they are not afraid. They are not afraid that their history, their religion, their beliefs, will be overrun, or forgotten. That is because they know they are free to hold to their religion, their beliefs, their history, as each of them choose.

And just as Americans welcome all, they enjoy the best that everyone has to bring, from all over the world. The best science, the best technology, the best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes.

Americans welcome the best, but they also welcome the least. The nation symbol of America welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed.

These in fact are the people who built America. Many of them were working in the twin towers on the morning of September 11, earning a better life for their families.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo and Stalin and Mao Tse-Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world.

But in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

So look around you. You may find more Americans in your land than you thought were there. One day they will rise up and overthrow the old, ignorant, tired tyrants that trouble too many lands. Then those lands too will join the community of free and prosperous nations.

This patriotic rhetoric of Peter Ferrara is what most educated non-Americans see is so wrong with America.

It has nothing to do with the people, as this same rhetoric would care to make you believe otherwise, people are the same everywhere. Americans are no different than people anywhere in the world, that includes Iran, North Korea and the rest of the current "enemies" this rhetoric labels.

Why is it that Americans think people only go to America for freedom? This is the biggest load of crap, those same Italians, Germans, Dutch, Jews, Chinese, etc also looked for and got freedom in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Venezuela and yes the DR.

As far as the part Peter Ferrara goes into talking about "evil" world leaders! What a joke! most of these leaders were supported and even propped up by the US government!

As far as the image Dominicans have of Americans? This will vary greatly depending on the educational level of the people you talk to.

Of course if you ask a poor Dominican he will see a "gringo" as a piggybank as he also see's a well-to-do Dominican.

As a whole Dominicans are very fond of Americans because much of our culture over the last 125 years has been very influenced by the USA.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
that's one dominicans view on americans and how they would kick a brick and a hat off a sidewalk ..the poster failed to mention that the sidewalk was just laid down with the help of us tax dollars,,and had yet to dry.
as far as the number of muslims in america..write the author of the article..and ask him also why when it came to that part about muslims not having freedom of worship in afghanistan did he fail to mention the taliban..and what they did to the people of that country when they didn't worship their way.
i. really didn't want to get off on a tangent..all i was wondering was how americans were viewed by dominicans..and maybe i should not have posted that article by peter ferrara..but i did..and it may have taken this thread off course.. but the queation is still out there.

joseippe

Jun 18, 2005
paddy said:

September 25, 2001

Rubish! Rubish! Rubish! That piece goes above and beyond blind-arrogance and the sad thing is that there's many many un-informed americans who would buy that.

Truth be told, americans didn't invent freedom and democracy and they sure as heck didn't prefect it. So what, the u.s. is a magnet for poor migrants seeking better lives. So is spain, france, and germany. Need I menton the u.k., australia and even many south and central american nations. Oh woopie............ the u.s. has people of every race, religion, culture etc... so do other nations.

The u.s. may indeed be the richest and most powerfull nation in history, but it's yet to emerge as the most socially & environmentally conscious nation. All that wealth, and 30+ million americans don't have health insurance. This is unheard of in other developed nations. Corporate and industrial greed seems to be the driving force in american society & culture. It's isn't freedom!

A few days ago, I browsed a website primarily set up for british college students. Someone asked the question"Do you hate americans". To my astonishment about half of the brits polled stated that they hate americans, their nation and especially policies. Now, this is a nation that is touted as being closer to america than any other on earth. Imagine what the results would have been in other countries.

One fine day the american masses are going to wake up from their blind stuper and realize that they & their government have become one the world's most hated nationality, in no time flat That's a fact! It's not china, russia, brazil etc... One of the biggest problems is that americans generally lack knowledge or concern about the world outside their borders. Most of what they know comes from whatever lies or half-truth their leaders feed them. This is one of the reasons that many come off as arrogant or self-righteous.

As for dominicans, I think that the poorer masses are captivated by the"land of milk and honey", know little of her politics or mis-guided polices abroad. Hence, probably have a favorable view of those"rich" americans that leave big tips! Let's not forget bathe regularly........Lol! Perhaps, the better educated upper classe dominicans are less likely to feel this way and don't view americans or america favorably.

joseippe

Last edited:

joseippe

Jun 18, 2005
Narcosis said:
This patriotic rhetoric of Peter Ferrara is what most educated non-Americans see is so wrong with America.

It has nothing to do with the people, as this same rhetoric would care to make you believe otherwise, people are the same everywhere. Americans are no different than people anywhere in the world, that includes Iran, North Korea and the rest of the current "enemies" this rhetoric labels.

Why is it that Americans think people only go to America for freedom? This is the biggest load of crap, those same Italians, Germans, Dutch, Jews, Chinese, etc also looked for and got freedom in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Venezuela and yes the DR.

As far as the part Peter Ferrara goes into talking about "evil" world leaders! What a joke! most of these leaders were supported and even propped up by the US government!

As far as the image Dominicans have of Americans? This will vary greatly depending on the educational level of the people you talk to.

Of course if you ask a poor Dominican he will see a "gringo" as a piggybank as he also see's a well-to-do Dominican.

As a whole Dominicans are very fond of Americans because much of our culture over the last 125 years has been very influenced by the USA.

Very fair assesment! If I had taken the time to read your response here, I probably wouldn't have even went into such detail earlier, as you've already pointed out some things that I'm trying to convey. The fact of the matter is that americans are insanely ill-informed about other nations and generally have this sort of spiritual disconnect from the rest of the world. They could care less what others think about them. This, I find dangerous as they're at the same time the most internationally observed nation on the planet. In just about everything: Politics, business, media. Not to mention enetertainment and sports, americans are well-known abroad. These are some of the things that leave americans scratching there head's, trying to understrand why so many people abroad dislike america and her policies....... It's like........ "who, me, what did I do".

Man, when americans(especially those in politics) say something to the effect of" people abroad hate americans just because we're rich, and because they hate freedom", Many people in other parts of the world crack a rib or two laughing at such lunacy. It's like........ how dumb can you get and unfortunately, there's many americans who'll go along with such sentiments. Until such individuals get a clue america is going to find herself more and more alienated from the rest of the world.

joseippe

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
How do Dominicans in Sosua view Americans? They veiw them as rich, generous and not very bright. They view us as not very bright because the overwhelming majority of American tourists cannot speak a lick of Spanish. I dont think most tourists realize how stupid they look when they just point and make a strange sound when they want something....whether they say an English word or incorrect Spanish, that's what the Dominicans hear....a strange sound and it makes the American appear stupid. I have noticed, as my Spanish has improved, I get so much more respect from people here than I did before. People dont believe that I am American and tell me, " No puedes ser Americano, tu hablas muy bien espanol". My Spanish is far from perfect but as it improves, along with it comes a certain admiration as Dominicans are impressed that you, as a foreigner are capable of learning their language.

Germans, on the other hand, are viewed as pushy, arrogant, cheap AND very intelligent. Most Germans here speak good Spanish, albeit with a strong accent. A Dominican wont try to get over on German like he will on an American. They have more respect for and fear of Germans. The non-Spanish speaking American is just viewed as a stupid piggy bank who can be taken advantage of.

Larry

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Larry said:
The non-Spanish speaking American is just viewed as a stupid piggy bank who can be taken advantage of.

Larry

Sad, but probably true, in the main.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Paddy cool thread topic

Anyways to respond your original question, what do Dominicans think of Americans all depends on who you ask. Many people in my family tend to have ambigous thoughts towards the US theY acquaint a degrading Dominican culture to US influence vis a vis the Dominican Yorks that started coming back in the 80s, increased drug use in society etc, and to some extent that is correct. But what I have seldom hearD is exactly what is it that Dominicans want to "copy" from Americans or should I say admire. Why not recognize the work ethic that American workers tend to have, or the professionalism, trasparency, or whatever. In GENERAL the more educated Dominicans would tend to have a more negative view of Americans in the US, again in GENERAL.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
whew! i guess my fellow americans and i are getting are eyes opened about not only what dominicans think about us ..but what a few other people on this planet think of americans as well. going in..i already knew about how most of the world felt about americans..especially their foreign policy. and the minute i pushed that send button with that article on americans..i honestly didn't realize what a "pandoras box" that it would open...and i'm glad it did. i love america and i love being a american...as corny as it sounds..and when i travel not only to the dr..but to other places in the world as well..flying into new york city on my return trip is the real highlight of my trip.
even now..sitting at this computer..i can look out my window and see all of new york harbor and the statue of liberty...even the empy space left by the terrorists..where the twin towers once stood..makes me proud on a daily basis to be a american..as corny as it sounds.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Paddy, what did you really want with this tread? A real assessment, or a slew of compliments? The one thing that I simply cannot abide from Americans, is if anyone ventures any thought that could from a mile away be considered as constructive criticism, Americans fly into their Turtle Shell and start justifying, justifying and trying to convince the other that they are wrong. I have not met one American in my life (well, except a few, my husband included), that can take fair criticism about their country, to the level that we all take it about our countries, and remain objective.

So, from me, you asked for it... remain objective. Some of us are simply up to our eyebrows with "I'm proud of being American". Enough already... If I've heard that once, I've heard it a thousand times. The arrogance astounds me and I've lived with an American for most of my life (and lived in America for a large part of my life.)

Oh my... I've just asked my husband for a brilliant closing paragraph that will bring this thing DR related... Thank Heavens for a sense of humor.... From an American to an American... Gringo Go Home! (I have to edit quickly... none of this is meant personally ... hope you can laugh about it!)

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
My 2 American Cents worth

I am Canadian.

What happened to America ? I want to know that too.

After doing business in America for 17 years I am so happy to be rid of it but I feel sorry for the average American. I do not envy American life.

It is a shame how the American people have allowed the Lawyers , Big Business and the accountants to take over ! Just sending a package to America is now requires a PHD ! On a recent trip to D R, I was flying through New York and ended up being a "Selectee" through Airport security because My LAST Name appeared on a no fly list , Different first name and different passport # But hey ! What the heck ! strip me down and humiliate me anyway !

The paranoia and the way the American people are being shoveled "fear" , how can you be free? free to make money is not free and that is what Americans deem as freedom. The ability to get rich ! Lets face it, they live in fear and the government and big business are making a fortune off of it in 2 ways ! First Security budgets and miltary budgets through the roof . Second while Americans are worring about a bomb dropping in the playground , the Big businesses overseas are raping countries for oil and resources ! The American "Freedom" machine is very expensive to maintain and Americans must reach to other areas of the world in order to sustain their need for that SUV or that 4000 Sq Ft house with 3 people living in it !

They have fear of terrorism reprisals and fear of being sued because they gave their neighbour a coffee that was too hot and burned their lip ! They pay 3 times the money for prescription drugs and loose their health insurance when they get sick ! Lawyers Commercials make me shutter. "Did your car get scratched in the parking lot ? Call 1-800- GET THEM and Larry the Lawyer will get YOU $100,000 for pain and suffering and mental anguish" . And then they write a book about it !

The inner cities are a shambles. Crime and drugs are rampant. Guns .....wow. Now there is a solution to the problem ! I have seem all of this first hand.

I feel sorry because most Americans are the nicest people but in Business they feel a sense of "Superiority" that is very frustrating and angering and In their personal lives they are so busy waving their flags that they dont see the snowjobs that their leaders are pulling !

That is my take

What I have heard from Dominicans in my travels there is almost identical to the vast majority of opinions here French Canadians are Loud and cheap (Its true, I lived in Montreal for 12 years) , Germans are like the Americans of Europe and Americans are not liked but I again do not think that is on the individual but I do think that the Dominicans have the pre-conception . Hearing the word Americano or Canadianese or Allemagne Only governs how the Dominicano perceives you and thus treats you .

Status
Not open for further replies.