Enfriarse con/calentarse con

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr.Mark

How would you translate something like this -in this context- from Spanish to English: "Juan se calento con Maria. Dejo de pagarle 3 mensualidades"

As many of you will notice, this means that Juan did something bad and for that reason Maria's angry with him. The verb "calentarse" is pronominal here and the action is done by Juan.

An example with "enfriarse":

"Tienes que enfriarte con los tigueres del barrio para que te dejen jugar con ellos"

"Estar frio" and "Estar caliente" give an idea about what's one status with a person, if that person's pleased with you or if that person's mad at you.

Coud you give me some ideas on how to translate this?

M

Mr.Mark

To ingratiate with

I think I found the words, both in English and in Spanish that convey the meaning of "enfriarse con". In English you can say you ingratiated yourself with someone to say that you're winning that person's favor.

You can also say in Spanish "congraciarse con" to convey the meaning of "enfriarse con". "Ponerse bien con" is also acceptable.

About calentarse... you can say "ponerse mal con alguien".

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I must admit I had never seen calentarse con used this way. To me, Juan se calent? con Maria, has a sexual meaning to it.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Juancarlos,

Estoy de acuerdo contigo.

The usage of 'calentarse' as described by the OP is colloquial and imo makes for a difficult translation or explanation. However, I will confirm that 'calentarse' (familiar) means 'fastidiar' or 'molestar a una persona'.

LDG.

juancarlos said:
I must admit I had never seen calentarse con used this way. To me, Juan se calent? con Maria, has sexual meaning to it.

M

Mr.Mark

It's not exactly "molestar a una persona" since the action of "calentarse" falls on the subject -it's a reflexive verb in this case-. In other words, whe one person "se calienta", that person's putting him/herself in a bad situation with another person.

Lesley D said:
Juancarlos,

The usage of 'calentarse' as described by the OP is colloquial and imo makes for a difficult translation or explanation. However, I will confirm that 'calentarse' (familiar) means 'fastidiar' or 'molestar a una persona'.

LDG.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Calentarse con... as per your example

Mr.Mark,

Exactly. Thus the difficulty in translation as per my first comment. In general 'colloquial' expressions are difficult to translate. I usually refrain from translating them but rather explain what it means. Just my point of view. However, I clearly understand the meaning.

LDG.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Mr.Mark said:
How would you translate something like this -in this context- from Spanish to English: "Juan se calento con Maria. Dejo de pagarle 3 mensualidades"
"Tienes que enfriarte con los tigueres del barrio para que te dejen jugar con ellos"
Coud you give me some ideas on how to translate this?

Would this work for you?

Juan got in to hot water with Maria. He was 3 months behind in payments.

You have to break the ice with the tigures in the neighborhood so they let you hang out with them.

I agree, kind of difficult to translate literally, so finding English colloquialisms might do the trick.
mkohn

M

Mr.Mark

The first one seems a fair good translation, but the other one (breaking the ice) does not work in this context.

Thank you

mkohn said:
Would this work for you?

Juan got in to hot water with Maria. He was 3 months behind in payments.

You have to break the ice with the tigures in the neighborhood so they let you hang out with them.

I agree, kind of difficult to translate literally, so finding English colloquialisms might do the trick.
mkohn

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Although counter intuitive, would 'enfriarse' and "warm up to" make more sense?
mkohn

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry Mr. Mark.
Enfriarse implys "cold" but 'warm up to' implies not cold.
So,
You have to warm up to the tigures in the neighborhood so they let you hang out with them.
instead of break the ice.
They have similar meanings, it's the cold/warm thing.
Thanks for an interesting thread on this subject.
mkohn

M

Mr.Mark

Now I get you!

Very insightful from you. It's paradoxical how cold can have such antitheticals meaning from one country to another

mkohn said:
Sorry Mr. Mark.
Enfriarse implys "cold" but 'warm up to' implies not cold.
So,
You have to warm up to the tigures in the neighborhood so they let you hang out with them.
instead of break the ice.
They have similar meanings, it's the cold/warm thing.
Thanks for an interesting thread on this subject.
mkohn

May 31, 2005
Lesley D said:
Juancarlos,

LDG.
I think that it derives from the English term of being cool. What is the opposite of cool? Not cool. Therefore, te calientas if you are not being cool.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
These phrases are recent. It is probably 5 years old. As you may have noticed, Dominicans can get very creative with Spanish. Every year we have a different name for the Flu. During the Kosovo war, the Flu was called "El Kosovo". Another year it was called "el paquetazo". This year it is called "El Quirino".

The above phrases, you will probably not hear them in other Spanish speaking country in the same content. Perhaps in Puerto Rico.

To me the above phrases are about "You making someone get heated (annoyed with you) at you, thus "calentarte con" and needing to cooldown the situation, thus "enfriate con"

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
OK,
Then I'd say you have to be cool with the tigueres ...
Thanks! I learned something.
mkohn

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
The first time...

...my fiance Tony said to me: 'tu estas fria con mi mam?, bueno con toda la familia y hasta con mis amigos'...

I thought he was saying that nobody liked me...to me 'fria' meant that I was cold, that they tought I was arrogant or something like that...so I got on the defensive...

He explained later that 'estar fria' meant that I was on their good side...that everyone really liked me, unlike his previous girlfriends which NOBODY liked...

Until now, I'm still 'fria' with everyone...I hope I never get 'hot' (as in being in 'hot water') with anyone!!! ;)

MQ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would have taken it that way too - that people thought I was being cold. I guess it could be compared to 'cool' in the positive sense!

For 'cold' in the sense of being unfriendly or reserved you can say a person is 'seco/a' - dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.