Car broken into - large robbery - please be on lookout for items

kkneafsey

Aug 9, 2004
I just got heavily robbed (via my car) and wanted to post so people could be on the lookout for the items (and at least not purchase them).

i was parked at the extreme hotel (with a guard) and just checked out of the hotel and went back to the beach. The car was broken into and i had stolen:
1. Dell Laptop m7000
2. IPOD
3. Blue Golf Travel bag (club glove)
4. Dell Laptop (yes a second one)
5. Black kingsenton computer bag
6. Cole Haan brown Leather computer bag
7. Clubs, Talyor made driver, Tommy Armor Irons

I assume the market for these items are the ex pat community. If you see any of these items for sell please dont buy them or better yet turn the guys in.

I would be very willing to pay to get the laptops back as they were for work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
sorry to hear you were robbed.....where abouts is the extreme hotel? Is it on the North Coast?

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
By Cabarete

daydream said:
sorry to hear you were robbed.....where abouts is the extreme hotel? Is it on the North Coast?

The Extreme hotel is located right on the way to Cabarete from Sosua on the left side, before you actually get into Cabarete.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Wow, and to think .....

kkneafsey said:
I just got heavily robbed (via my car) and wanted to post so people could be on the lookout for the items (and at least not purchase them).

i was parked at the extreme hotel (with a guard) and just checked out of the hotel and went back to the beach. The car was broken into and i had stolen:
1. Dell Laptop m7000
2. IPOD
3. Blue Golf Travel bag (club glove)
4. Dell Laptop (yes a second one)
5. Black kingsenton computer bag
6. Cole Haan brown Leather computer bag
7. Clubs, Talyor made driver, Tommy Armor Irons

I assume the market for these items are the ex pat community. If you see any of these items for sell please dont buy them or better yet turn the guys in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

... of all the times I've been there and left stuff out in the open, not a smart thing to do anywhere, I know. Have you thought of making up a list of these items and posting a bulletin in either the lobby or the restaurant on premises? Don't know if they'd let you but I'd make a bit of a stink about it at the hotel ..... you say they have a guard? What for??
If I were you I'd post a list at Sandros in Cabarete as well, with an eye catcher like REWARD OFFERED ...... I know of someone who got their computer stolen, after they paid the reward for getting it returned though they found out that it was the person they paid the reward to who stole it in the first place!!!! :eek:

Stay well,
Amy

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
why why why

why was all that stuff in the car in plane view in the first place? Sounds like it was a robbery waitning to happen. Even on our last trip to Hawaii we were warned not to leave stuff in the car. Kind of a universal rule in any tourist area. Sorry it happened.......

Bob K

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
ther's a pawnshop in charamicos..the name eludes me..but i remember being introduced to him one day at the ny shark bar..the owner said he has two of them..good luck

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
paddy said:
ther's a pawnshop in charamicos..the name eludes me..but i remember being introduced to him one day at the ny shark bar..the owner said he has two of them..good luck

lol - there are about 50 pawn shops in Los Charamicos!! No kidding .....

Stay well,
Amy

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
paddy said:
i didn't know..thought i could help

Once it's gone it's gone ..... say goodbye. Things like that are sold at private homes mostly or to people who can't afford the real deal (i.e a computer bought at normal store prices) so they're less likely to say anything, if they spoke then maybe they'd get the computer taken away without monetary compensation ..... and they still wouldn't be able to afford the real deal, so why talk? See what I mean?

Stay well,
Amy

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
never ever

If you have anything of value, DON'T Leave them in your car.....I have a laptop and I take it everywhere with me when I leave my Car.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving two laptops and an IPOD in a car in the US, let alone the DR.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
kkneafsey said:
I
If you see any of these items for sell please dont buy them or better yet turn the guys in.
thanks.
Maybe you meant buy them. Probably your only chance of ever seeing them again.

kkneafsey

Aug 9, 2004
I know, I know...

Yes -- first off the stuff should have never been left in the car. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to it. We were at the hotel, had to check out, could not get a late check-out, and there was a secure lot with a guard. We probably should have just left -- the reason there was so much stuff in there was that I was taking my brother to the airport right from the beach. The robbery happened in the matter of an hour or, so it probably was an inside job. (three cars in the lot were broken into).

But anyway, there is nothing I can do now-- the stuff is gone and I just in someway hope the guy who robbed me won't benefit much. One of the computers is passworded and the I couldnt imagine an IPOD without a charger is much good down here. But anyway -- if anyone sees or hears of anything let me know. It is too late for me to put a reward sign, but I wish I would have thought of it at the time.

The sad thing is that my brother, who had an amazing time in the country, is left with this experience. Even if we should have never left the stuff in the car for one minute...it is his last experience of the DR and the one he will share in the states.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Why?

kkneafsey said:
The sad thing is that my brother, who had an amazing time in the country, is left with this experience. Even if we should have never left the stuff in the car for one minute...it is his last experience of the DR and the one he will share in the states.
Listen, what happened to you guys, althought I am very sorry that it happened, it happens all over the world, in the richest or poorest countries. I do understand that it leaves a "bad teste in your mouth" but it's not the end of the world.

What I am trying to get at is that I see no reason for him to just share that moment "in the states". What about the others days that he spent on the island?. You guys are not, nor will be, the last that had something stolen while on vacation, in any part of the world.

Let's see: a few years back I had a ditigal camcorder stolen from my rented car in Cancun, Mexico and that did not stopped me from going back a few times more or to say wonderful things about my vacation. I made a stupid mistake to leave it in plain view. I am at fault. In SD, after exchanging some money, I lost my wallet (maybe someone picked my pocket) with a few thousand in traveler's cheques and a few thousand pesos. Things just happens and it does not matter on which part of the globe you are.

I just hope that he can remember the good times and go back.Maybe next time you should go to the beach the day before leaving.

Bad experience, yes. The only thing that he should share, absolutely not!. Then again, everyone is a "diffferent world".

kkneafsey

Aug 9, 2004
Agree and disagree

I dont ever think it is the victims "fault" for a crime happening. Obviously I probably should have taken better precautions to prevent this from happening, but what were my alternatives? Leave the stuff behind this desk, with the guard, even the room probably wasnt totally safe. The stuff was in a locked car, in a fairly nice hotel with a security guard.

Economically speaking, the DR has precious few competitive advantages. One that they do have is their beatiful beaches. And what I mean when I say the robbery was a "sad" affair is that actions like this, no matter how stupid leaving items in a car is, is it re-affirms the myth-reality that the DR is NOT a very safe place to travel. And in the end the people that lose are not me or my brother, for all those items can eventually be replaced, but are the people that thrive off the tourism industy here. The DR, I feel could go one of two directions...it could be a Costa Rica or a Jamiaca. And when people get robbed (and I am not talking leaving a camera on a beach towel) they wont want to come back, and they will tell people the place was beautiful but unsafe. i dont want to go somewhere where I constantly have to looking over my shoulder and cant trust anyone...you feel like you are in Jamiaca...This is probably why the all-inclusive has thrived in this country...

I understand that this "could" happen anywhere, but it is far more likley to happen here than say for example in the US. I would have almost no qualms about leaving a car loaded full of stuff at a hotel with a guard anywhere in the US. Maybe I am overly trusting, but it just really is bothersome to feel you live in a place that unless you take every conceviable precaution, you are not safe.

Anway... if anyone happens to see/hear of any of this stuff...please let me know...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
One good forewit is worth two afterwits

but it just really is bothersome to feel you live in a place that unless you take every conceviable precaution, you are not safe.

But you don't have to 'take every conceivable precaution', just a little common sense will suffice.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes, let us be fair. Any time you have that many nice items in view, you are asking for trouble. When you were walking away from the car...you said...should I...or shouldn't I...and you decided to take the chance. That could happen anywhere. I would not do it here nor in the USA.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sii!

kkneafsey said:
I understand that this "could" happen anywhere, but it is far more likley to happen here than say for example in the US. I would have almost no qualms about leaving a car loaded full of stuff at a hotel with a guard anywhere in the US. Maybe I am overly trusting, but it just really is bothersome to feel you live in a place that unless you take every conceviable precaution, you are not safe.
It happens EVERYWHERE!. Have you ever been to Grand Concourse in the Bronx, NY?.

Don't get me wrong, it really sickens me that this happens to you in the DR because this is the type of things that people keep on talking about(only) after they leave the country. They seem to forget the nice times that they spent there. I do feel very sorry for you and I hope that you find your stuff but let me make you aware that this could have happened to you anywhere in the universe.

What seems like 90 years ago, when I was 21, I dated a "mature" lady that owned a very, very, very expensive( and I am not talking in the thousands expensive) house in the Hamptons, NY and her car was vandalized regularly. It was understood that it was by people that would just go to well-to-do neigborhoods and do such things but the bottom line is that it can happen anywhere.

Do not think that I am not sorry for you, I am.

snoops12

Nov 8, 2004
You and she both had it coming...learn your lesson.

Edited, for non-DR content.

Tim H.:smoke:

Last edited by a moderator: