Car rental or hire a driver

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Where exactly will you be flying into and where do you plan to go? What is your intended intinerary? Knowing this info would make suggestions easier!

mezsaque

Apr 26, 2005
drloca said:
Where exactly will you be flying into and where do you plan to go? What is your intended intinerary? Knowing this info would make suggestions easier!

flying in Santo Domingo staying North Coast in Costambar

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
mezsaque said:
flying in Santo Domingo staying North Coast in Costambar

First off - if you have three driving related questions and you're going to post them all in the same topic, then you can ask 'em all in one post, makes for easier to answer posts.

Depends on what kind of person you are .... fear-monger or go-getter. If you have guts, common sense and can think lightning quick then you can drive in the DR with no problem and maybe the use of a map. If you don't have those things and have never driven anywhere else in the world (besides the U.S. I am assuming) then I would say, take a taxi to Caribe Tours and cath a bus to Sosua, then taxi it to the hotel where you'll be staying. Check it out and maybe rent a car if you feel comfy ..... drive back to the airport, in fact, I vote for this option ...... anybody living here I'm pretty sure would agree with me in saying that I fear more the tourists driving here for the first time than the Dominicans who have been driving here for a lifetime, at least the Dominicans are somewhat predictable.

I would not suggest to anyone to land in a foreign country then hire a car at the airport then make a cross country drive to your hotel.

Common sense is the key here.

Stay well,
Amy

Answer to this question ..... depends on how long you'd like to hire the driver for/rent the car for. If it's just to get to the hotel/house the driver in my experience would cost the same as hiring a car for a day (24 hours), which you would then have to return to the car rental compnay .... sometimes you can drop a car off at a POP office if you've cleared it in Santo Domingo, if it's the same company of course. I usually use Caribe Tours on cross country drives (which costs less than 10 bucks per person), unless I need a car on the other side for running errands or getting from one place to the next, then again, I've lived here for 3 years and am used to driving here.

Sorry - I'm rambling ..... going off line now I promise ;)

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mezsaque said:
Travelling soon, what is the best and most economical; strategy to get around
Most economical route from SDQ to Costumbar probably depends on how long you are staying in the DR:

Option 1
Taxi from SDQ airport to Carribe Tours in Santo Domingo (about US$35) plus bus from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata (about US$8) plus taxi from POP bus station to Costumbar (I'm guessing US$15). Total $58 each way.​
Option 2
Car rental cost about US$40 per day, excluding insurance, which may be covered by your credit card (call your credit card company before renting to make sure) plus gas (about US$30 each way).​
Option 3
Taxi (about US$140) each way.​
Unsolicited piece of advice: If it's not too late, change your ticket and fly into POP or STI. The change fees may cost less than the transportation to the North Coast and should save you a lot of hassle.

Note: Option 2 doesn't include the cost of hotel parking in Costumbar.:)