My Latest Adventure To Santo Domingo

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Driving through one barrio I suddenly here a thump on right side of my Pathfinder. I said to my wife...what was that. We look around and don't see anything...so I keep driving. I get down about a quarter of a mile and a pasola cuts me off and says I better go back because I hit a pasola. Now, I am a very alert driver, very careful. So of course I am confused. When I continue on because of traffic and while discussing the matter with my wife...another pasola pulls along side and the guy says that his pasola is the one I hit...that his son was on the back at the time and he wants me to pay him to take his son to the hospital and get him checked out. It took me a while to piece it all together but once I did I just punched the acclerator and got out of there. Of course it was a scam. I never hit anyone. He hit me intentionally or by accident. Perhaps he turned into me abruptly and once I continued on he decided to turn the stakes and go after me and say I hit him...in hopes of getting some money. Why would he go after me in my jeep and leave his son back on the road?

Well I hope I am right and I did not hurt his son. But my instincts told me it was a scam and I knew that if I went back I might get drawn into something dangerous. So I went on without paying him any money.

Such is life here in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm sure a scam.

Funny you should talk about bumps and Pathfinders, I had someone bump into mine on Friday night. The driver that hit me didn't stop, I guess he had no insurance or was drunk, or both. Not an unusual combination here.

Oh well.... so much for the 20% no claims bonus.

pathfinder_1.jpg

pathfinder_2.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Your instincts were right - it is a scam.

It's happened to Mr C a couple of times - probably because he looks like a gringo. Last time he called the guy's bluff and said let's drive back and see the injured person, and then we can both go to the police. No, no just give me the money, said the guy, presumably also quite disconcerted at hearing 100% Dominican Spanish emerging from the mouth of this 'gringo'. At that point they will give up.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Hey Robert, really sorry to hear and see about your Pathfinder. That looks terrible. I have noticed a lot of wrecks lately here in Santiago and believe it is due to the increase in traffic.

The other day I saw this big moving truck whip the corner and ram his backend into a Honda Accord. He banged that Accord up pretty bad. Funny thing is the Accord did not pursue the truck. I thought how strange.

Guess I better rethink my insurance coverage...not that you can trust that either.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Snuffy said:
Guess I better rethink my insurance coverage...not that you can trust that either.
Is this hearsay or do you have any first hand experiences with the insurance companies?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There are some really sick drivers here. I was behind a huge concrete carrying construction truck. He was driving like a maniac. He turned to a tight street really fast. I was right behind him. Then all of the sudden he slammed on brakes and then instantly went reverse. Man o man, He almost crushed me beacuse I also (instantly) tried to go reverse to aviod collision but my car shut off because I have stick shift. I let go of the clutch in a hurry to get away from the bastard. I honked in panic and the brute stopped. He was actually upset at me for being behind him while he decided to go reverse without even checking behind. I almost got run over by a 100 ton truck, thanks to my horn, I was able to avoid the disaster.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
newuser said:
Sorry to hear about your Pathfinder. If you don't mind saying, which insurance company gives a 20% no claims bonus and how is it given? Is it a rebate at the end of the year or a 20% reduction on the next year's insurance premium or other?

It's given as a discount on your policy.

Progreso Compania de Seguros S.A. (Proseguros)

They are part of Progreso Bank.

Tel: 541 7182