In Santo Domingo June 28-July 20...advice?

bushit

Dec 29, 2004
locham.blogspot.com
Dear all:

I'm coming to Santo Domingo in a week's time. It's my first time in the DR, and it's a kind of reconnaissance mission to help me figure out if I might want to move to the DR on a more permanent basis.

I'll be staying at "Miramar" (an urbanization complex in the south of the city), in a rented apartment. I was just wondering if anyone had any general/generic advice what I should see and do, what's the best place to meet people, areas to avoid, etc. I'm in my mid twenties but not a party animal; prefer the beach, walks, parks, and so on.

TIA! :)
Michael

M

Mr.Mark

Hey man!

I live in Miramar! Well, I really live in the Nordesa III Urbanization from the Miramar Sector. We can get together and go out to meet people. It's better if you told us more about yourself so that -at least I- we can give you advice. I'm not a party boy either, so you have a passive buddy here.
Who are you staying with?
For me, the best places to meet people from our age are colleges, social clubs, basketball courts, churches etc. If you're specifically interested in meeting women I guess sports won't serve you much. But don't worry, we'll figure out something. Just tell me more about yourself.
Where are you from? Tell us more about your background. What are you doing right now where you live? Why are you considering the possibility of coming to live to the DR? Is life too boring there or stressing?

I'm Marcos and am 21 yo. Anything you need -well, almost anything-, I put myself at your service.

Ciao

bushit said:
Dear all:

I'm coming to Santo Domingo in a week's time. It's my first time in the DR, and it's a kind of reconnaissance mission to help me figure out if I might want to move to the DR on a more permanent basis.

I'll be staying at "Miramar" (an urbanization complex in the south of the city), in a rented apartment. I was just wondering if anyone had any general/generic advice what I should see and do, what's the best place to meet people, areas to avoid, etc. I'm in my mid twenties but not a party animal; prefer the beach, walks, parks, and so on.

Michael

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Amazing, I also live in Miramar. Is nice. Is near Mirador park, you can go walking there.

On the places to go, depends on what you are interested in. You can go to the Colonial Zone.

I'm also in my mid twenties, just send me a PM if you need any help.

Mr. Mark: So you live in Nordesa III, what happen with the get together??? We definetily need to arrange one for the Santo Domingo people ;) .

By the way to both of you, my name is Johanna

M

Mr.Mark

We still haven't had the get together. FarOut and I were going to do so, but sadly I failed him and I couldn't make it the day we were supposed to meet each other.
Invite me somewhere. I want to eat red meat :nervous:

Johy said:
Amazing, I also live in Miramar. Is nice. Is near Mirador park, you can go walking there.

On the places to go, depends on what you are interested in. You can go to the Colonial Zone.

I'm also in my mid twenties, just send me a PM if you need any help.

Mr. Mark: So you live in Nordesa III, what happen with the get together??? We definetily need to arrange one for the Santo Domingo people ;) .

By the way to both of you, my name is Johanna

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hello to all of you.

I agree, talk about you and what are you looking for and expecting to find here in Santo Domingo so we could give you better ideas in what to do and where to go. I live and work here in Santo Domingo too.

bushit

Dec 29, 2004
locham.blogspot.com
Hi again all-

Well, as I said, not interested in nightclubs and things like like that. Cheap bars where one can sip on soda and watch the sea is what I like. Good but inexpensive restaurants are another. Of course, it would be nice to go to these places with someone, so what's the best place to meet nice girls who're not interested in the size of my wallet? Also, I love parks where one can sit and relax. Wandering aimlessly around town is something I also love doing... - but reading other posts I figured out there are parts of Santo Domingo where one would be ill-advised to do that so I'm also wondering where I should avoid going. What are some of the other things I should avoid doing (I read conflicting opinions about crime in SD and the DR on here).

Oh, would also like to know if there's a synagogue around in SD. I know there's one between Avenida Lincoln and Avda Churchill toward the south but any other ones? (I'm not religious but I like to check out these things.)

Thanks again. I'm hoping to post a message here when I get to SD and maybe some of us can hook up...
Michael

M

Mr.Mark

First of all, you will find an Israelite Center in La Julia sector -next to PUCMM University, which is in a mall-. Their phone number is 535-6042. In this link you will find a map of the location: www.iruta.net

Write "Sarasota" -without the quote marks- in Calle and 21 in the field Numero.

So, you're Jewish! Shalom! The best place to meet girls who are not interested in your wallet are I guess those were mid class girls go to. Social clubs, the same PUCMM or other universities such as INTEC, UNIBE -well, you will find more girls from the haute societ? there-. There are very good looking girls at UASD, the state's university. The advantage of going to PUCMM, INTEC and UNIBE is that you will find girls that speak English fluently and you will have no problem communicating to them. The downside to this is what explanation you wil give them about what you're doing here, what you're looking for, etc. Also, I think that your jewishness could be an issue. I don't think there are more than 300-400 jews here -at least practicant-. You will find people with polish and german last names who will probably be jew, but they might be Catholic now or something. Girls could freak out with a jew just as they could freak out with a moslem -yes, as strange as it sounds and without the intention to offend, I'm pro-Israel-

I don't know how Dominican young educated women will react to a Jew -and it's not the fact of wether or not you keep kosher, you are religious-. Aim for meeting girls/men at the Israelite Center, I think you can make the most out of your common faith to find interesting people here.

Mirador is close to Miramar Park. It's like the great lung of Central Santo Domingo and you can get there by walking. Maybe you can meet nice people there too, but just don't leave from there too late or otherwise you're a potential target for thieves.

I reiterate my willingness to hang out with you give that you're going to be staying next to my house and that we share a similar behaviour profile: quiet, not into discos, etc.

Tchau

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Well,

I think you will like the Mirador park specially in the afternoon, I don't recommend that you stay there when is getting dark.

Also you can chek the Colonial Zone is nice and you can see different type of people there.

Let's see, for walking around Santo Domingo is better if you don't go around with anything valuable. Just use your common sense, there is crime here as in any other country.

Near Miramar crossing Independence Ave. is "El 8" that is a barrio than I don't suggest you go walking by yourself right away specially at night.

About girls, where like Mark said midle class girls from INTEC, PUCMM or UNIBE will be a good start. Well I leave that part to him, he's the guy ;)

Good luck with everything

Johanna

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
bushit said:
Dear all:

Michael
Best way to meet people is to come to my July 4th party on the 3rd of July in Sosua which is on the other side of the country. Take a caribbe Tours bus for about 5 bux and see over 100 expats and DR1'ers and even get to meet a bunch of Dominicans:)

Do a search of the 4th of July Bash and you will get the details.

Escott

M

Mr.Mark

That "paradise" we call "El 8"

Take Johy's advise. Don't get into El 8. I mean, it's not the worst barrio you'll find here, but just don't get there since you're probably whitey and blondie. I'm not trying to make you reconsider where you'll be staying when you come. You don't have to worry about your security because you'll be living next to "El 8" -which is called like that because it's in the 8th kilometer of Carretera Sanchez or Independencia Avenue, however you may call it-.

bushit

Dec 29, 2004
locham.blogspot.com
Thanks again, everyone, especially Mark and Johanna.

I'm leaving tomorrow for Madrid and will post a message here or PM you when I've landed safely in the DR. Am very excited! :)

MIchael (a whitey but not blondie :D)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hi guys you are right, colonial zone has beutiful view, the streets and parks, Im sure that you will enjoy to sit in the malecon to watch the sea.

bushit

Dec 29, 2004
locham.blogspot.com
Hi everyone!

Well, I arrived in Santo Domingo a few days ago and have been attempting to find my way around here. I have found it to be, well, different. :D

(Mark, been to the shul at Sarasota--for it's expected small size it's extremely active. No girls, nice or otherwise, there though :()

Anyway, if any of you has the inclination, we can meet up at some point. Plerase PM or e-mail me (mls_lists at msn.com). I only have Internet access every second day or so. Oh, and I don't stay out till past 1700 because I haven't gotten to grips with the public transit system yet :D

Michael