Baileys restaurant in Sosua

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I just had a meal there and was very impressed. I had fliet of sole in a garlic sauce with rice. The fish was beautiful and must have been about a 12 oz. piece. Along with it was a help yourself salad bar that had a nice variety of things to choose from (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, brocolli, pasta salad, patato salad, beets, hard boiled eggs and more). Along with the meal I drank one coke. The total price without tip was RD 225 which I feel is very resonable. The restaurant is also in a nice airy location and the service was VERY good for this country. The meal came shortly after I finished the salad. I plan on going back regularly.

They also have a nice bar where I had a few drinks the other night with Badpiece and his friends. Drinks, however, are not as reasonable as the meals. A small presedente is 70 pesos.

Larry

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Glad to hear you are eating well Larry!
Where in Sosua is this restaurant?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Tamborista said:
Glad to hear you are eating well Larry!
Where in Sosua is this restaurant?

Um, I dont know the name of the street but I am sure Dawn or Scott or one of the locals can tell you. If you are walking down Pedro Clisante towards the beach and take a right on the corner right before PJ's (where Plutos bar used to be) it will be one block before you. If you are walking down Calle Dr. Rosen (where Rcokys bar is) towards the ocean , take a left at the corner and it will be directly across the street from you. If you dont know what the hell I am talking about then ask someone when you get here.

Larry

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bailey's

This is the scoop.
I was talking with the owner today, Arnold Raid, the Austrian, who has lived here for over 15 years, and used to operate the best restaurant in Sosua, the Pavillon.
He tells me that the name "Bailey's" is not official yet, as the government is giving him a hard time about registering it, as they say it may infringe on copyrights with Bailey's, the beverage.
Regardless of the name, the food is good and so is the ambience.
They are located in front of the Copicentro, in the plaza just East of the Banco Popular plaza, almost directly accross the street from Verizon (Codetel).

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Rocky. BTW, I was wrong on the price of the beers. They are 65 pesos. Many places in Sosua are charging 60 pesos. Rockys charges 45.

Larry

Nov 5, 2004
Larry said:
Thanks Rocky. BTW, I was wrong on the price of the beers. They are 65 pesos. Many places in Sosua are charging 60 pesos. Rockys charges 45.

Larry
only 45 pesos for a small cerveza in Sosua??????????? AIII DIOS MIO!

I will be there everytime I am in Sosua!!!!!!!

Last time I was around that area and took my parents on that tour of the area...we stopped for some presidente I thought the guy with his German accent said 19 pesos for a small beer..and I EXREMELTY excited for my great find, ordered us all one, only to find he really said 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :tired: :tired: :tired:

Rocky's here we come!!!!! :D

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Bailey's

Rocky said:
Regardless of the name, the food is good and so is the ambience.
They are located in front of the Copicentro, in the plaza just East of the Banco Popular plaza, almost directly accross the street from Verizon (Codetel).
Most gracious on your part to endorse a competitor and provide the location of his establishment, no less.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Larry is right on about the restaurant. The aromas coming from the kitchen alone are a meal unto themselves. The bar is first class with quick and efficient service. The barkeepers are both lovely and friendly, setting a nice ambience. As for drinks step over the Pres's and have a vodka and tomato juice w/lime or a martini. Excellente!! And the only place that I've found with a bona fide salad bar. Go Arnold! John

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
PeachezNcream84 said:
only 45 pesos for a small cerveza in Sosua??????????? AIII DIOS MIO!

I will be there everytime I am in Sosua!!!!!!!

Last time I was around that area and took my parents on that tour of the area...we stopped for some presidente I thought the guy with his German accent said 19 pesos for a small beer..and I EXREMELTY excited for my great find, ordered us all one, only to find he really said 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :tired: :tired: :tired:

Rocky's here we come!!!!! :D

I have been here in Sosua for 10 days and have done a lot of price comparing. Sosua is really trying to take advantage of tourists now with regards to prices. Most establishments realize that a person on vacation here for a week who is not used to the currency or the prices, will stop and have a drink wherever he feels like; and it wont make a difference to him if a beer costs 60 pesos or 90 pesos. As a result, most places are overcharging for drinks and many places are for food. Still, if you shop around, there are great deals to be found. Rockys remains a great deal in all respects. There is a bar I was in yesterday right after La Roca and directly across from Voodoo Lounge as you begin to decend to the beach where a small presedente is 35 pesos and most meals are around 100 pesos (pork chops, schnitzel, hamburgers, etc.). Or you could walk 2 minutes away and pay 90 pesos for a beer and 300 pesos for the same meal. In the classico disco, a drink of Baileys is 190 pesos. I guess the establishment realizes that single male tourists will buy plenty of drinks for the local women and they are exploiting the situation to the max. If you are here for any length of time, shop around and you will save a lot of money.

Larry

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Victor Laszlo said:
Most gracious on your part to endorse a competitor and provide the location of his establishment, no less.

Good competition is good for everyone, specially for Sosua in general.

Arnold has always operated great restaurants. He's the type of guy who doesn't mind getting right into the kitchen to make sure all is well.
Some people may remember him operating PJ's for 4 or 5 years, and that was the only epoch where PJ's had great food and was always packed.
The place is always packed at night-time, and busy enough during the day.

If more businesses upheld the standards set by Bailey's, Super Super & Northern Coast Diving center, Sosua would double in tourism in no time at all.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Rocky said:
Good competition is good for everyone, specially for Sosua in general.

Arnold has always operated great restaurants. He's the type of guy who doesn't mind getting right into the kitchen to make sure all is well.
Some people may remember him operating PJ's for 4 or 5 years, and that was the only epoch where PJ's had great food and was always packed.
The place is always packed at night-time, and busy enough during the day.

If more businesses upheld the standards set by Bailey's, Super Super & Northern Coast Diving center, Sosua would double in tourism in no time at all.

Just think, 50 places like this, SOSUA would be number 1!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Jimmydr said:
Well July 4th I am back and am looking forward to hanging at Bailys and drinking my hot chocolate with my buddies. I know it will still be in business.
Didn't you just start a new job a few weeks ago?
How do manage to get a vacation within a month?
What's your secret formula?