US Marriage Laws And DR Marriage Laws

SallyAnne

Jun 13, 2005
fading-stitches.deviantart.com
First. I have had enough of the "you cannot be serious" "omg this is the best one i have heard yet" or "you need to do.." blahblah blah. Look, I have been up on your Sankies Forum I have been doing my research I know what I am looking out for. I have been screwed into the ground before and it will never happen again. So, if you could please just stick to answering my question i would appreciate it. thank you :)

Now. US marriage laws are a bit different from DR. Not that this is important, but I thought i would lay out all the laws. DR is age 16 males 15 females to marry. In US the age at which you can marry varies from state to state. How do the US marriage laws effect my marriage in the DR?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
SallyAnne said:
Now. US marriage laws are a bit different from DR. Not that this is important, but I thought i would lay out all the laws. DR is age 16 males 15 females to marry. In US the age at which you can marry varies from state to state. How do the US marriage laws effect my marriage in the DR?

How old are you? If older than the minimum age in the DR or the state for the intended nuptials what is the question?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
SallyAnne said:
First. I have had enough of the "you cannot be serious" "omg this is the best one i have heard yet" or "you need to do.." blahblah blah. Look, I have been up on your Sankies Forum I have been doing my research I know what I am looking out for. I have been screwed into the ground before and it will never happen again. So, if you could please just stick to answering my question i would appreciate it. thank you :)
SallyAnne, don't pay any attention to all of the nay sayers.

It is perfectly normal to marry someone you have never met and plan to live in a country you have never visited.

Please keep us posted and feel free to add some wedding pictures to the gallery.

Congratulations and good luck.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
And your guy who wants to marry you, that have never met you is what?
You stated he is not a sanky, and you might be very right.
Ask yourself why a Dominican man, wants to find a girl on the internet and marry her, though he have not met her.
He can find plenty of love here in different shapes and forms,very beautiful girls, looking good or even better, knowing his culture, dancing like daughters of God...
Ask yourself what he is looking for by wanting a relationship/marriage with you as he have never seen you.
Ask yourself if his parents, family ( bonds are wide and strong here ) would accept to arrange a wedding.

He wants a gringa, he wants money - yes, many believes to the fullest you have money just because you are a gringa, not matter what you say,
and finally he wants a ticket out of this country.

Finally, if you are sure about this love of yours, you just need to move on,
get a lawyer, for instance www.drlawyer.com, Mr Fabio Guzman,
prepare your cedula so it is ready before you come.
When you arrive, after some time, buy your permanent residency, and live here. It is just a matter of fulfilling the terms of getting a residency and you can live as much as you want here.

But you must save for your ticket first.
Then save a few thousands US for your cedula.
Then save at least 4000-6000 more to be able to live here for 4-6 months.
Then also save the same amount to support his family, friends, himself to the kind of living he and them would expect when you arrive.
Also save for your touristcard, and departuretax and for gifts to bring.
Save a few thousand dollars for the wedding.

Go figure girl.

Last edited:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Why so many dreamers?

"I don?t understand that it is so many people just dreaming out there, that are so very far from reality that it is rather scary.

How can you seriously want to move to an island you might have visited a few times, staying at a resort?

Knowing nothing about the reality, how you will support yourself, knowing nothing about costs of living, medical care ....

I don?t get it how people are ready to put themselves in a situation like that." Carina

SallyAnne, all kidding aside, please read this.
http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=carina&e_id=153

This wisdom was addressed to people who had actually been to the Dominican Republic and who were not even engaged to someone they have never met.

It's possible that you two could live happily ever after but what the hell is your rush?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Malibook said:

It is perfectly normal to marry someone you have never met and plan to live in a country you have never visited.

Please keep us posted and feel free to add some wedding pictures to the gallery.

Whoooo, low blow Rick!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Posted by Mr Guzman who is a Dominican Lawyer

If you are getting married in the Dominican Republic, the separate property agreement must be prepared by a Dominican Notary BEFORE the marriage (that?s why it?s called a ?prenuptial? agreement) and handed over to the Civil Registry Officer (?Oficial de Estado Civil?) at the marriage.
I am assuming that you?ll want the agreement to be enforceable in the Dominican Republic. If you don?t care about this but are only interested in its validity in your home country, then you?ll have to consult an attorney from home.

The prenuptial agreement is as simple or as complicated as the future spouses want it to be. A straight separation agreement is a very simple document. It will state in legal terms that whatever a spouse acquired before or during marriage will belong to him/her exclusively and that assets in a spouse?s name belong to that spouse exclusively.

If the spouses do not sign a prenuptial, their assets are governed by the community-property provisions of the Civil Code (Articles 1400 to 1496). Spouses are 50-50 owners of all matrimonial assets. These assets consist of the following:

1) All moveable properties (in essence, everything but real estate) belonging to either spouse at the time of the marriage or acquired by either of them during marriage, even by inheritance or gift unless the testator or donor has expressed otherwise.

2) All income from properties belonging exclusively for whatever reason to either spouse.

3) All immovable properties (real estate) acquired by either spouse during marriage.

To translate this into simple terms, without a ?prenup,? whatever money, stocks, bonds, vehicles, credits, etc. (everything but real estate) you may have on the day of the marriage, is split 50-50 with your spouse when you say ?yes, I do?. If your parents leave you $1,000,000 in their will and they do not expressly or implicitly state that this is for you alone, and not for your spouse, then your spouse will get 50%. (Fifteen years ago, I actually dealt with a case like this involving an American couple living in the DR).

You may ask why this is so. The answer is that we are, I believe, the only country in the world still governed by the original provisions of the Napoleonic Code, which dates from 1804, a time when wealth was almost exclusively ?immovable?, i.e., real estate, and therefore it was not considered of importance that all ?moveables? be part of the matrimonial community. In France, the code was amended a long time ago to include only properties acquired during marriage as community property.

During your marriage, income received from any asset goes into the matrimonial community, no matter whether the asset belongs to just one spouse or to both (Article 1401-2 of the Civil Code). After your demise, the personal asset goes to your heirs and so does the income from that asset.

Real estate acquired by one of the spouses before marriage remains the separate property of that spouse.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
More on Inheritance

Inheritance rights over real property in the Dominican Republic is governed by Dominican law.

Real estate purchased before marriage is not community property, meaning that if your father purchased it before marriage, upon his death, the property belongs to his children.

Forced heirship, in your case, means that since your father had 3 children, 3/4 of his assets are reserved to these 3 children upon his death. Any will giving to a third party (including the wife) more than the remaining 25%, will be reduced to the allowed 25%.

All children, legitimate or illegitimate, have the same rights in the inheritance.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well even if this is a joke it's a chance to bring up some of these laws that haven't been discussed for a while. ;)

May 31, 2005
This sounds like a high school student that does not know enough about the world as it is. What can you expect? Maturity? No. Stupid, irrational decisions are only expected.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Malibook said:

I concur, what are you going to name the babies? Are you going to take a poll on DR1 for choice of names? That will be fun and very enjoyable. You will probably boost the hits that DR1 gets and for that they will probably give you a big wedding present.

Congrats and don't forget to post pictures of the kids also.

Mazel Tov!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Escott said:
I concur, what are you going to name the babies? Are you going to take a poll on DR1 for choice of names? That will be fun and very enjoyable. You will probably boost the hits that DR1 gets and for that they will probably give you a big wedding present.

Congrats and don't forget to post pictures of the kids also.

Mazel Tov!

But you must save for your ticket first.
Then save a few thousands US for your cedula.
Then save at least 4000-6000 more to be able to live here for 4-6 months.
Then also save the same amount to support his family, friends, himself to the kind of living he and them would expect when you arrive.
Also save for your touristcard, and departuretax and for gifts to bring.
Save a few thousand dollars for the wedding.

I forgot in my last post... also save about 40.000 pesos for each child to be able to give birth at a hospital...