medical facility

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Live in SD and need a Facility or Doctor who may do Hernia repairs...anyone have an idea???
Bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Try talking to

Criss Colon, the guy who signs hsi posts like this : CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

He works at a maajor medical facility and will surely point you in the correct direction.

HB :D:D

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Criss Colon, the guy who signs hsi posts like this : CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

He works at a maajor medical facility and will surely point you in the correct direction.

thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I would think Clinica Abreu is a good choice and they have a web site. The OP lives in SD and has no idea where to get 1st world style medical care, that's interesting.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In a similar situation...

I have a cervical disk hernia which will need surgical replacement of the disk. I'm presently in Spain but I don't really want to do it here before leaving because of follow up and other reasons... So, I am looking for a possible solution in the DR too, but it's got to be top of the line in every way of the word, service, safety, quality and technology applied... I'm only ot turn 40 and I don't plan on being a cripple just yet ;)
So far I have gotten a hint to make contact with the military hospital (?)... The other options may be Mayo in Florida or Mount Sinaii. Price is always an issue but in this case I will prefer to go the safe and most future oriented route before bargaining on my neck.

Suggestions and experience reports welcommed... J-D.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jaguarbob said:
Live in SD and need a Facility or Doctor who may do Hernia repairs...anyone have an idea???
Bob

Contact Dr. George F. Riley, a urologist and surgeon at Clinica Abreu. Very capable and speaks excellent English. He is part Canadian. He is in the office Monday through Friday starting at 3 pm, 688-6834, or you can try cell 850-0751 to see if that is still correct. He has an excellent reputation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know George

He's a pretty fair golfer, too!

Mr. Sauser I would suggest that you have studies done when you get here and get several opinions. There are some excellent guys here that could do that work...But you'll have to do your homework.

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Mr. Hillbilly ;) , thank you very much for your post. What I basically wanted to know was, if some would think of considering doing it in the DR as an option as I do not know if they do have the (access to the) recent technology in general. In some way, I think you responded my question. Still, feel left a little in the dark here.
And by the way... I go by:
... J-D. Mr. Sauser that would be my Dad. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay J D

The deal is that they have very good people here but without the MRIs and so forth with which to make a decision, you can't make a choice. My own feeling is that if you establish a rapport with a surgeon, then he's your guy.

Otherwise you are a side of beef that needs to be dealt with. Heck, if tou can afford the Mayo there near Ft. Lauderdale or North Miami or Pembrook Pines (somewhere in that area, I have seen it,,,.)then why not. You won't have to question whether they have the latest..

Another thing. If you don't have someone of your family here with you, it is not any fun, and infact the clinics don't like it. They want somebody to be there with you during the time after surgery...

HB:D:D

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
MRI Facility

Sr. Sauser,

There is a MRI facility, forget the name, about one block distant from the Abreu clinic. The Abreu sends its clients there.

Regards,
PJT

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks!

Thank you "PJT".
I would guess that the place you mention is in la capital(?).
I think that?s a good place to start investigating clinicas y doctores... I think that what I need is a neuro surgeon (neuro cirujano).

Thanks! ... J-D.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Just a correction...urologists are "glorified plumbers" and dont repair cervical hernias.
A friend of mine had a cervical spinal fusion done at Clinica Abreu 2 years ago after a serious accident and I can try to see if his wife still has the name of the physician who performed his surgery and his care thereafter as he was in there several months. (PM me if you would like me to go ahead and get this info from her). BTW, this person did fantastically post operatively and disproved many physicians theories about his recovery (But entirely different circumstances like I said...from being paraplegic, he now has resumed use of his upper body).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
drloca said:
Just a correction...urologists are "glorified plumbers" and dont repair cervical hernias.

drloca, since I was the one that posted the name of the urologist/surgeon, I should make clear that I was responding to the first request for info, not to the request for info from the second poster, the one with the cervical hernia. I know the difference between hernias.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Ken said:
drloca, since I was the one that posted the name of the urologist/surgeon, I should make clear that I was responding to the first request for info, not to the request for info from the second poster, the one with the cervical hernia. I know the difference between hernias.

I guess its just interpretation..as the 1st one could be either, but no biggie so no need to get defensive...pleased to know you know the difference, hope the surgeon does too!!