Adoption of Dominican Children....

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
I am with my novia about 5 years now and I support the kids 100%. I was thinking that I would adopt them, get them US Passports and college educate them here in the US. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Regarding the question about adopting the kids, you probably should contact a Dominican lawyer, or post the question in the legal section. If you are going to do the latter, you may want to be clear on the following in your post:

• Was the father named on the children's birth certificates
  • Is the children's father alive
  • Do you plan on marrying your girlfriend
  • Do you plan on living in the DR or the US.
Those questions may be relative to the adoption process.

Regarding getting US passports for the kids, I'm not sure if they must be residents in the US for 5 years before they can become US citizens. You can either contact an immigration lawyer in the US or look for the information here: http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/index.htm

The site may also give you some information on obtaining student visas for the kids.

If you live in the US and your goal is to get your girlfriend and her kids to the US, the fastest way may be to get them here on a K1 visa.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If the mother is legally divorced from the father and has guardianship she probably can leave the country with them without the permission of the father. You need to double check on this with Migration to not be surprised at the airport. Otherwise, she will need the authorization of the father, and to go through the many steps for one of the parents to take a child out of the country without the other.

As said above, probably the easiest way to go about this would be by marrying your girlfriend.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Do a search of dr1 to read about adoption in the DR.

Otherwise, if you do not plan on moving the entire family...

May I suggest that you support the kids so they get an education in the DR. If they make it to university, and do well, they can apply for the many scholarships that are becoming available to some of the better universities in the world. Meanwhile, they should learn languages to widen their opportunities. All that they can achieve in the DR.

Actually, many people, even those who can afford to send their offspring abroad, are of the notion that it is better to get an education here and then do the masters or doctorate abroad.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
They go to Garden Kids school and hopefully will know English. In the field of accounting in the US they are bringing in 100's of foreign accountants on work visas. They need accounting degrees and be able to speak English.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Dolores said:
If the mother is legally divorced from the father and has guardianship she probably can leave the country with them without the permission of the father. You need to double check on this with Migration to not be surprised at the airport. Otherwise, she will need the authorization of the father, and to go through the many steps for one of the parents to take a child out of the country without the other.

As said above, probably the easiest way to go about this would be by marrying your girlfriend.

They are from the campo and were never married. Marriage is not an option.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Assuming you are willing to pay for their education, Dolores' advice about providing their primary education at a private school in the DR and having them go a university in the US, seems to make sense. Having them live apart from their mother (I'm assuming the mother does not have a visa), while they get educated in the US doesn't seem to make sense.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Jimmydr said:
...and education is the only way out of poverty there.
That's true but as long as you have money, it's possible to get a good education in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I read this from the top

And I think that if the kids are pushed, they can get the education that nobody in their entire family could even dream of. BUT, they will have to be guided with a strict hand.

Normally speaking, people like your novia take a very lackadaisical approach to education. They never had any and do not fully conprehend its value. So, if you are going to try and get these kids through grammar school and high school, you will have to be active and attentive. You are thinking good things for the kids, but that road is so very hard to travel here.

You'll have to set standards of acceptable work for them. Make sure they do their homework and make sure that they are not the "poor little kids" of their school...just normal types. Pencils, notebooks and books, uniforms and your constant attention. Believe me if these kids are young and active each one will need like four uniforms for a school year, plus two sets of shoes, one for sports and one for classes, plus a back pack etc etc...

And, many years down the line, they could well get to a university here and later perhaps graduate school in the US or Europe..This has happened before and you can make it happen again. At the least you can try...

I really wish you good luck..

HB :D:D:D

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
When I met my novia she was trying to finish HS at age 23. Last August she graduated and then went on to some sort of secretary school and finished that in March.

With out me those kids are doomed. With me they can go places. She knows what is best for them and we can do it, I believe.

They got 90's and I opened their first bank accounts with 500 pesos each.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, keep after them!

That is a big step up....but you'll have to do a lot of following up...

HB :D:D

Just a note based on over 40 years experience in Dominican education.
They can get 90s all the way through school and still not be able to read a newspaper. That's a fact. How good they turn out will depend a lot on you and your demands. This is especially true the further away you are from a major population center. (Yes, there might be exceptions, but not many.)

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Hillbilly said:
That is a big step up....but you'll have to do a lot of following up...

HB :D:D

Just a note based on over 40 years experience in Dominican education.
They can get 90s all the way through school and still not be able to read a newspaper. That's a fact. How good they turn out will depend a lot on you and your demands. This is especially true the further away you are from a major population center. (Yes, there might be exceptions, but not many.)

I think at Garden Kids school they learn to read. I know they both can count to 300.