A/C buyers, LG a/c review.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was lucky enough to get a hot deal on an air-conditioner unit made by LG. It was only used for a few months but the gringo went bankrupt and decided to head back home. I picked up the unit for cheap (a few thousand pesos less than the new unit price). I stored the unit away because it was a 220volt input power source and I was just too lazy to break a new square hole in the wall and bring 220volt power line from the meter. So I had the unit stored for a few months.
Finally yesterday I took advantage of work being done in the apartment in the back and employed the workers to install the unit in my room.
The unit is 220 volt LG electronics 12000 btu wall unit.
It runs quieter than my old unit and throws really strong gust of cold wind. To my surprise, the unit made my room so cold so fast that I was thought Im was living in canada. I had the temp. setting at level 7 (out of 9) and low cold. This setting alone made me feel like as if I was sleeping in meat freezer. I highly recommend this a/c unit. It is quiet and works very efficiently. You will feel the strong gust of cold wind instantly when you will turn on the unit. I believe scott (escott) has 2 of them installed in his apartment. I am sure he will have positive things to say about them.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Criss Colon said:
and let me add "LG" "TVs" and Refrigerators to that list!!!
CCCCCc
I have a LG microwave oven. Works like a charm for 5 yrs straight. It still seem new after 5 yrs of usage.
I think those koreans will pose a great competition to our japanese friends.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
LG 8000BTU 110volt wallmount
(demonstration model of Plaza Lama)

Almost 6 years !!! just clean twice a year the whole system and its cold
The plastic is not really white anymore but its cold here !!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been using an american brand a/c 120 volts for 7 yrs and it is still working in my guest room. I must add that always try to install a 220 volt a/c unit as it will consume 1/2 the amount of power as 110 volt unit. You will get more cold for less power consumption.
everyone in DR can get a 220 volt meter installed. many have it already and don't know it.
AZB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mucho bueno!

AZB said:
I was lucky enough to get a hot deal on an air-conditioner unit made by LG. It was only used for a few months but the gringo went bankrupt and decided to head back home. I picked up the unit for cheap (a few thousand pesos less than the new unit price). I stored the unit away because it was a 220volt input power source and I was just too lazy to break a new square hole in the wall and bring 220volt power line from the meter. So I had the unit stored for a few months.
Finally yesterday I took advantage of work being done in the apartment in the back and employed the workers to install the unit in my room.
The unit is 220 volt LG electronics 12000 btu wall unit.
It runs quieter than my old unit and throws really strong gust of cold wind. To my surprise, the unit made my room so cold so fast that I was thought Im was living in canada. I had the temp. setting at level 7 (out of 9) and low cold. This setting alone made me feel like as if I was sleeping in meat freezer. I highly recommend this a/c unit. It is quiet and works very efficiently. You will feel the strong gust of cold wind instantly when you will turn on the unit. I believe scott (escott) has 2 of them installed in his apartment. I am sure he will have positive things to say about them.
AZB
Those suckers are great. And expensive so I hope that you really got a bargain. There's a 10,000 btu's where I work for 400 dollars, with remote( hope you paid much less). I bought 2 for my kids rooms when they come to visit, 7,000 btu's and they are excellent.

LG also make the Goldstar line of a/c's.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
miguel said:
Those suckers are great. And expensive so I hope that you really got a bargain. There's a 10,000 btu's where I work for 400 dollars, with remote( hope you paid much less). I bought 2 for my kids rooms when they come to visit, 7,000 btu's and they are excellent.
Speaking of remote control units.
I have a split a/c in my office with remote control. When the lights go out (blackout) my a/c shuts down and when lights come back on, I have to turn on the a/c with remote. Now if you use this unit at home and at night if you experience a blackout (lets say for 2 hours) the a/c shuts down and stays off until you turn it on again from remote. Now this doesn't sound like a good idea if a/c shuts down and doesn't turn on automatically when lights come back on. It means you will sweat and wake up and wait till lights come back on so you turn it on yourself. My manual control a/c gets shut down when lights are out and comes back on when lights come back "on". So if electric goes out for 1 hr at night and comes back on, my a/c turns back on and I never know the difference.
Now my friend marc in santo domingo has many remote controlled carrier a/c split units that turns off and on automatically when lights go out and come back "on" again.
AZB