Sosua vendedores, putas y ladrones

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
There is alot more crooked and pushy people hanging around Sosua than I have seen in the past. The vendors are extremely pushy. I just tell them "no" and continue walking but sometimes, that is not sufficient. Sometimes, they insist on following me and yapping in my ear even if I am in the middle of a conversation with someone else. One got in front of my brother on our way to Sosua beach today and blocked his path because we ignored his pleas to enter his little hut. My brother almost hauled off and belted him. The vendor would have deserved it.

The putas are nastier and more forward than before. There are plenty of "hard core putas" hanging around plaza sosua and the discos at night. They approach you and ask for a drink. When you say "no" they wont go away. Alot of them look like drug addicts.

The worst thing is the pickpockets. There are so many now. I spoke to two different guys who have been pickpocketed inj the last week. One guy got on a motoconcho to go to his hotel. A girl got on a moto behind him and followed him. As soon as he got off the moto in front of his destination, she got off her moto and ran up to him and started hugging him. He realized she had picked his pocket but she was alreadt jumping back on her motoconcho and he sped off. Another guy who was staying in the condo above mine was pickpocketed on the beach. He told me the girl had undone the botton on the back pocket of his shorts and removed his wallet within seconds. He was smart enough to check for his wallet as soon as she walked away and upon discovering it was gone, grabbed the girl and dragged her behind one of the vendor huts and made her strip. After searching her thoroughly, she didn't have his wallet so he dragged her back to the spot where she had approached him. There, tossed off to the side under a tree was his wallet. She was intelligent enough to pick and dump it in case he caught on like he had. Then of course, she was going to come right back for it.

I am not trying to paint a bad picture of Sosua. I just want people who are coming here to be aware of the bad elements. There are plenty of good people here too.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Yes, Ken, I remember that one. I can definately see how the permanent residents of Sosua would be in favor of a crackdown.

Larry

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
last year when i was there..i was walking up the block from ocean place towards that fresh fruit stand across from eddys..11am..2 girls on a motoconcho pulled up in front of me..1 jumped off and ran away and then towards me..wrapped her arms around my neck..hugging me..propositioning..i pushed her off me ..and she was gone..with my gold chain..123.and i didn't even realize it until 1 hour later. happened so fast. my fault...should not wear a gold chain to a third world country. the worst experience was yet to come...reporting it to the police in sosua..getting a report..WASTE OF TIME..more corrupt than the ladrone who stole my chain. never got the report..didn't want to pay off..my homeowners covered it without the report.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh boy!

My sister-in-law, a blond Argentinian (meaning that she is easily mistaken for a gringa), who happens to travel to Cabarete every single month from the US to hers and my brother properties, against my advices and the advices of others to stop going to Sosua since it seems that it's getting worse each month, was robbed and pushed/shoved a few weeks ago.

She was coming from shopping with her daughter and before she got into her car, someone on a motoconcho took her cell phone, her bags and her pulse. He also shoved her and she landed on her ax.

What amazes me the most is that she and my brother have more connections than God and still the police have done crap.

Maybe now she will start listening and not go to that "Ho" town, like she calls it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes, Larry, the writing was on the wall...

when Boca Chica cracked down on their situation. This is where these elements are migrating from. I posted a thread about the change in the general ambiance of Sosua that I noticed from last year to this year.
When I was there last summer, I had a beautiful time. The chicas treated me very well, never even TRIED to rob me and some of them have become good friends. The motoconcho drivers that I met were also extremely helpful and appreciated a little conversation and a good tip.
I even met a guy who works on the beach who RETURNED a tip when I was hanging out with him when I went into a store to buy something and realized that I had left my money in my room. He settled for a Presidente beer and even came to say goodbye when I had to go to the airport.

This is what took me by surprise about Boca Chica. It was unfriendly and the girls were just nasty and really hard. You can just tell that alot of them are on drugs. And the hustlers on the beach left me wondering who in the world would want to keep coming back to this dump. Well, Boca Chica was cleaned out a little bit but now Sosua is feeling the brunt of it.

The story about the girls hopping off a motoconcho to hug someone and then leaving is so typical. When it first happened to me I immediately put my hand in the pocket where my money was, even though I was'nt immediately aware of the purpose of this chicas' unsolicited affection. But I caught on fast. The girls at the Haligali bar filled me in the first night I was there, and to them I owe a debt of gratitude.

Even though I enjoy Sosua and will visit again this summer, the type of behavior exibited by the natives and the police is what drives people into the all-inclusives. I always felt that this acceptance of generalized corruption and tigerismo that seems so culturally ingrained in the DR will come and bite them in the rear end one day. The authorities will not come to their senses until a tourist is killed in a violent clash with a thief and it reflects on the level of tourism to Sosua. Why is it not like this in Cabarete?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Berzin said:
Why is it not like this in Cabarete?

Now that's an excellent question!

Maybe it's location?
Maybe the local business community has some coordination/power and keeps the crap out?

The only people that will save Sosua are the people of Sosua.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The time of the year possibly has something to do with it. I know all statistics say that tourism is up, but this is not our experience in Cabarete and in Sosua. The streets are dead.. very few tourists around. So, no tourists, no money and the ladies and men that live from tourism, get desperate and grab onto anything on legs. I've also noticed the aggression from the vendors. It is there in Cabarete as well, more hidden however. One sees it between the vendors and the storekeepers fighting for the few customers out on the streets.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Robert said:
Now that's an excellent question!

Maybe it's location?
Maybe the local business community has some coordination/power and keeps the crap out?

The only people that will save Sosua are the people of Sosua.

Caberete is only 15 blocks long.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Chris said:
The time of the year possibly has something to do with it. I know all statistics say that tourism is up, but this is not our experience in Cabarete and in Sosua. The streets are dead.. very few tourists around. So, no tourists, no money and the ladies and men that live from tourism, get desperate and grab onto anything on legs. I've also noticed the aggression from the vendors. It is there in Cabarete as well, more hidden however. One sees it between the vendors and the storekeepers fighting for the few customers out on the streets.

Some puta was dragging a gringo down the block when we jumped in. I waved a Polutur down and he carted her off to jail.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Cabarete, just before the Esso station on the left approaching town is an out and out whorehouse that has been operating for many years. On any given night there are 20 to 30 or more putas there. This may explain the lack of putas on the streets of Cabarete.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
SKY said:
In Cabarete, just before the Esso station on the left approaching town is an out and out whorehouse that has been operating for many years. On any given night there are 20 to 30 or more putas there. This may explain the lack of putas on the streets of Cabarete.

You have an EXACT address for this, um, establishment? ;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Jimmydr said:
Some chica was dragging a gringo down the block when we jumped in. I waved a Polutur down and he carted her off to jail.

Is this what I have to look forward to when I go this summer? Funny, because when I went to Sosua in late April aside from one obnoxious UBH at the Disco Classico noone bothered me at all, especially at the bars and out in the street. I guess things have changed alot in 2 months.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This ?establishment? has no visible name. It is blue and is all stone. It is right before Nanny?s on the left coming into town. If you go there, make sure you eat your dinner first, because the girls there could haunt houses on Halloween and earn more that they will in this place. It is a bar with a dance floor.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
New pickpocket experience today

This was an interesting one. Today, my brother and I were on Sosua beach. We decided to leave our chairs to go for a walk along the little shops that line the beach. We left our towels and flip flops unguarded at the chairs as we correctly assumed no one would bother stealing them. We took what little money we had on us and our room keys with us. I kept my money and key in my hand as we walked. Along the way, about 3/4 of the way down the beach nearing Los Charimicos, two girls approached us and one handed me a sheet of looseleaf paper. On it, written in English was a letter which began with the line, " I am sorry that I didn't come to your apartment last night". I didn't read anymore of the letter because I realized the girls were into their routine and my attention was on their hands. One girl had moved behind my brother and the one who had handed me the letter, shifted behind me, wrapping her right arm around my waist as we walked. Then, with her arm around me, she bent down and kissed my left nipple in an effort to draw all of my attention away from her right hand which dipped into my right pocket. I didn't stop her. All my valuables were safe in my hand and I wanted to see exactly how she was operating. Within seconds, she realized that she had struck out and they both began walking away. I then said to her in my best Spanish, " Oye, ahora to sabes que no tengo nada en mis bosillos. Mis cosas estan en mi mano. Tu eres una mal ladrona". The two of them both looked at me with a bewildered look as if they had no idea what I was talking about and then turned and continued to walk away.

These girls were very, very good. They had their act down to a T. They first tried to draw my attention to the curious letter. Then the body positioning and the kissing of my chest to draw my attention and vision away from my right side so her fingers could slip into my pocket.

I understand the methods these girls use and recognize these situations as they are unfolding but I am sure that most people do not. I hope that my relaying this story and the others that I posted earlier in the thread will make people aware of their tactics.

These girls are like cockroaches. They are everywhere.

Larry

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Berzin said:
Is this what I have to look forward to when I go this summer? Funny, because when I went to Sosua in late April aside from one obnoxious UBH at the Disco Classico noone bothered me at all, especially at the bars and out in the street. I guess things have changed alot in 2 months.

If you don't talk to them, they won't bother you.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
these petty crimes are against dominicans as well..snatching cell phones..pocketbooks etc, from moving motoconchos...stay on the sidewalks..don't walk in the street...listen.

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Well I thought it was just me being paranoid but I have never felt so uncomfartable in the DR as when we visited Sosua. I couldn't wait to leave the place.
Caberete and Puerto Plata I felt totally safe.

Regards Ray