Calling All Cooks!

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Calling all cooks! I love to cook for my friends and family; so I am asking, if you are willing, to PLEASE share with me your FAVORITE Dominican recipe's. If they are TOP SECRET will you PM me? I want any and all recipe's from appetizers to dessert. Please be explicit with the details, even down to which type of dishes to serve them in; presentation is everything! I want to 'knock their socks off'' with my culinary expertise!
Thanks in advance,

Yvette

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a contributor to

www.dominicancooking.com, let me say that, in general, Dominican cooking is very "down to earth good eating"

there are rarely any sauces or decorations beyond a nice serving dish.

For example: The only way to "kick a sancocho up a notch" is to make sure you have some "eye brow sweating, nasal and sinus clearing, Barbados hot sauce" for those that like spicy foods.

Our secret here at home is to use fresh ingredients. As fresh as they come.

Happy cooking.

HB :D:D

May 31, 2005
Plus, whenever someone tries to change or add something in order to kick it up a notch it just butchers the whole recipe. Traditional Dominican food should stay traditional. I love dominicancooking.com. I actually use the spanish one cocinadominicana.com because I understand the ingredients more in spanish. It is the same website, just in English and Spanish. Same recipes, same everything.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Damm, HB

With such details I'm dripping from my mouth. Can I, please come to the hovel, as you call it, for some down to earth cookin'. :nervous:
I don't eat much. I'll swin for the cold ones... by the case. :eek:

Zeus (primus non glutumus) :nervous:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I made the Dominican cake yesterday from the website above. It's delicioso ;)

I've also made habicuelas and pan de aqua. All were good.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Hillbilly said:
www.dominicancooking.com, let me say that, in general, Dominican cooking is very "down to earth good eating"

there are rarely any sauces or decorations beyond a nice serving dish.

For example: The only way to "kick a sancocho up a notch" is to make sure you have some "eye brow sweating, nasal and sinus clearing, Barbados hot sauce" for those that like spicy foods.

Our secret here at home is to use fresh ingredients. As fresh as they come.

Happy cooking.

HB :D:D
Thanks Hillbilly, fresh ingredients is the way I always go!
Yvette

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Dragonfly32837 said:
Plus, whenever someone tries to change or add something in order to kick it up a notch it just butchers the whole recipe. Traditional Dominican food should stay traditional. I love dominicancooking.com. I actually use the spanish one cocinadominicana.com because I understand the ingredients more in spanish. It is the same website, just in English and Spanish. Same recipes, same everything.

Dragonfly,

I hear you, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"
Joyfully cooking,
Yvette

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Ohhh!!

I thought you were calling all idiots, ahh never mind!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
I have a maid that cooks for me all the time. I have turned up the heat even when she does the cooking and everyone loves it.

I have taken and twisted many traditional Dominican Dishes and have only gotten RAVES about my cooking from both Dominicans and others.

Escott

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Escott said:
I have a maid that cooks for me all the time. I have turned up the heat even when she does the cooking and everyone loves it.

I have taken and twisted many traditional Dominican Dishes and have only gotten RAVES about my cooking from both Dominicans and others.

Escott

Thanks Scott, maybe I can bring something new to the table too!
Yvette

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
!

yvette said:
Thanks Scott, maybe I can bring something new to the table too!
Yvette
Robert (from DR1 fame) Larry (from DR1 fame) Larrys brother (with no fame yet) Dawnwil (from DR1 fame) and myself just finished dinner which was Rice, beans, yucca soup El Dente Dawnwil, Chicken fried rice El Escott, 3 bean salad de Dawn, Yucca Fritters de Escott and a nice 1990 California Red Wine via Nueve York and 3 day old 5 bux a gallon cheap crap to drink after!

Escott

May 31, 2005
Escott said:

Escott
Ok Escott. More power to you. I was just talking about keeping the traditional food traditional. There is nothing wrong with adding your own twist to it. I personally like new tastes. I also like to keep traditional food traditional. But I'm always up for different tastes. We have to keep in mind that everybody has a different sazon.

Last edited:

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Escott said:
Robert (from DR1 fame) Larry (from DR1 fame) Larrys brother (with no fame yet) Dawnwil (from DR1 fame) and myself just finished dinner which was Rice, beans, yucca soup El Dente Dawnwil, Chicken fried rice El Escott, 3 bean salad de Dawn, Yucca Fritters de Escott and a nice 1990 California Red Wine via Nueve York and 3 day old 5 bux a gallon cheap crap to drink after!

Escott
Scott,
Sorry I'm late responding, but your meal sounds just yummy, I think it might be a hit with my friends and family too!
Thanks,

Yvette