Digital cameras in the DR

Nov 5, 2004
How many places are there in the DR that sell digital cameras? (In general...is it easy to find a good digital camera?)

Does anyone have an idea on the price ranges in the DR for example
-entry level digital (easy to use, less features)
-mid range digital
- high end digital
- pro digtal

I know often times electronics are more expensive in the DR....

And accessories for digtal cameras...memory cards, chargers...etc. How easily accessible are they?

Thanks everyone for your help and input!!! ;)

p.s. Let me just clarify in my first post, because I think some ppl only read the first post. I am not looking to buy a digital camera, I will have some avalible and wanted to know what the prices/market would be like.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

PeachezNcream84 said:
How many places are there in the DR that sell digital cameras? (In general...is it easy to find a good digital camera?)

Does anyone have an idea on the price ranges in the DR for example
-entry level digital (easy to use, less features)
-mid range digital
- high end digital
- pro digtal

I know often times electronics are more expensive in the DR....

And accessories for digtal cameras...memory cards, chargers...etc. How easily accessible are they?

Thanks everyone for your help and input!!! ;)
Peach, listen to this and listen very carefully: DO NOT BUY A DIGITAL CAMERA IN THE DR. Let me spell it out for you: D.O N.O.T B.U.Y A D.I.G.I.T.A.L C.A.M.E.R.A I.N T.H.E D.R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

You will pay much, much, much more over there.

I went to get some digital pics developed at this place in SD and they were selling a piece of crap digital cam, Samsung of all namebrands, 2 or 3 mega pixels for, get this, over 9,000 pesos (more than 300 dollars).

Ask AZB about the Sony that I had(gave it away) when he saw me , I paid less than that(where I work) and it's 50 times better.

Nowadays, you can get a fairly good ditigal cam for very little money.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Another no no

Tamborista said:
Check out slickdeals.com.

Add the link through an RSS feed and keep on the lookout for a deal (coupons, MIR's, etc.). If you're patient you can score huge for around $150.

I learned of a "in-store purchase only" at Office Depot for the Canon A510, for $150 on sale. There was Canon MIR (mail in rebate) for $20 (or $70 if you bought a Canon printer as well).

I found a printer on buy.com (lead was listed with the Office Depot camera deal on the site) for $69 and change (- an additional buy.com MIR for $17). So roughly $52?with free delivery.

Total: for the camera AND printer = $132.

I had to wait about 3 weeks for the buy.com MIR to come in, and about 2 months for the Canon.

A little more 'leg' work, but if you have a po box and are patient, these deals pop up all the time.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I seriously do not know why I bother responding on here?

That sounds like a great camera set up you got there, is that 1.2 or 2.0 megapixels? Good luck with your MIR's and clipping coupons!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not for everyone.

I was looking for a long time, so the wait for the return wasn't a huge concern.

It's 3.7 megapixels.

My second Canon, my experience has been stellar with their products.

Printer is still in the box, not much use, but I'm sure it could be turned over or "re-gifted".
Tamborista said:
I seriously do not know why I bother responding on here?

That sounds like a great camera set up you got there, is that 1.2 or 2.0 megapixels? Good luck with your MIR's and clipping coupons!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am a big fan of Canon as well.
'Just got my Dad the 5.0 MP PowerShot SD400.
The quality is unreal. Check out the 8.2 Megapixel EOS 20D, now that's a Camera!

Nov 5, 2004
Sorry. I should have clarified...

I am not looking ot buy a digital. I have a few digital cameras.

And I have access to reallllllly cheap not brand new, but refurbished to factory standard digtal cameras...from entry level digitals - pro level digitals...(They are all in perfect working condition, basically brand new, most are just store returns that somone bought to use over the weekend took the pictures and returned it.)

I was just wondering what the market would be...If whatever the camera is worth in Canadian prices is a fair price...

It's not like I will be setting up a store, just bringing a few extra cameras down with me...

Nov 5, 2004
Tamborista said:
Peachez:

Why don't you rent digital cameras by the day on the beach!

Could do something like that..that might be a good idea...BUT...the biggest "camera killers" are water and sand....and the beach has a lot of both...

That is a very good idea would ahve to work some of that out...

Wonder if there is anyone who would be intrested in renting pro cameras anywhere....(perferrably not by the beach...lol)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Tamborista said:

I shop B and H but for some brands they won't in fact ship to Canada under agreements with the distributors. Nikon is a prime example.

Anyone in Canada won't save a lot over B&H (plus taxes and shipping) if they shop at Henry's in Toronto, in person and haggle a bit. I have a regular sales guy there who discounts their list and sale prices for me routinely. Of course I have 5 digital cameras so they do OK.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think I saw one of your movies on a website, "The Grand Pollo does Duarte."

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And here I am, needing a digital camara

I was going to suggest reading David Pogue in the New York times. He reviews gizmos like this all the time and did a great article on digital camaras under $300 a while back.

Seems that Kodak was one of the better buys!! Go figure.

Anyway, I do need one of these things with a memory card or two.

So Peaches, bring a couple down here, please...

And don't try to rent them....just too many risks...

HB :D:D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
miguel said:
Peach, listen to this and listen very carefully: DO NOT BUY A DIGITAL CAMERA IN THE DR. Let me spell it out for you: D.O N.O.T B.U.Y A D.I.G.I.T.A.L C.A.M.E.R.A I.N T.H.E D.R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

You will pay much, much, much more over there.

I went to get some digital pics developed at this place in SD and they were selling a piece of crap digital cam, Samsung of all namebrands, 2 or 3 mega pixels for, get this, over 9,000 pesos (more than 300 dollars).

Ask AZB about the Sony that I had(gave it away) when he saw me , I paid less than that(where I work) and it's 50 times better.

Nowadays, you can get a fairly good ditigal cam for very little money.
There is also a good chance that the Camera is "refurbished", but selling at new.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Do you have any SLR digitals?
5 Megapixels or higher?

I can always use lenses.

PS: If you sell any on here, you owe Robert a big kiss for advertising!

Nov 5, 2004
Tamborista said:
Do you have any SLR digitals?
5 Megapixels or higher?

I can always use lenses.

PS: If you sell any on here, you owe Robert a big kiss for advertising!

Now Now...don't scare Robert like that....!!! That's not nice. LOL..

Well as you notice I wasn't very clear in my first post, because I didn't want to be advertising :nervous:

It's not like I am bringing a suitecase full to sell..only a few...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The alleged scam here is that they will sell you a new camera in the box, but without the warranty/guarantee papers. You get the camera for a reasonable price (an acquaintance just bought a Nikon Coolpix 4.6 for under US$250) and 'they' allegedly make a compensation claim. That is, according to a little bird who tells me these things.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have Been Buying From eCost.com

They list up to 10 suppliers of the same article,with all their prices.Prices vary as much as 100%!!! I have it shipped here by "EPS".So far so good!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Perhaps a bit off topic...

...and only for a select few of the gadget-heads.

My Canon eats AA batteries like Dominicans eat rice. However, I've found that there is still oodles of life left in the batteries. The newer generation digi's won't allow you to run on half-life batteries.

If you get a warning, first thing to do is turn off the LED screen.

Further, if you aren't high on replacing batteries all the time, you really shouldn't use the LED unless you're actively reviewing or deleting, otherwise use the viewfinder to compose shots. This approach will extend your batteries AT LEAST 2-fold.

The real twist is this: If you have something that's not an energy hog (like an mp3 player, or pocket vibrator) you can re-use what your camera told you was dying.

IPods are rechargeable as far as I know, but if you own a Nomad or Rio or the like, save those digi-cam batteries.

I usually get a 10-12 hrs. from one (duracell) AA in my Creative Designs Nomad II MP3 player. With the 'dead' batteries I get nothing short of 8 hours?that's downright theivery.

Just an FYI, assuming most of this wasn't common knowledge already.

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Camera Repair

I have an Olympus camera that I need to get fixed. Does anyone know any reputable place to have it fixed in Santo Domingo?