predatory animals

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As for a real answer (not that I don't approve of that one)

We only have feathered predators: hawks mostly .
Of course, we do have mongooses (? mongeeses?) but they are rarely seen.

No feline predators at all, except alley cats...

HB :D:D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
1) the jur?n (Mongoose), was brought to the island around a century after the Conquest. They were trained to hunt small game. However, once they got into the wild they completely obliterated several species including rodents, snakes, rabits, etc. That's why this island is practically safe to treck in the wild without danger.

2) the guaraguao (hawk), that wrecks havoc on poultry and birds, also prays on small rodents.

3) wild cats, one of the major hen killers...

4) the bak? of infamous fame (sorry for the alliteration)

5) and last but not the least, a species of primate that goes by the scientific name Homo sapiens dominicanis ;)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
thank you hillbilly and mirador...

another question; what about extinct predators?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Slight correction

the mongoose was brought in towards the latter part of the 19th century as an attempt to fight the rats that were eating the sugar cane. This was done at the same time as this happened in Hawaii.

The problem was that the mongoose is a diurnal animal and the rat is nocturnal. Of course the mongoose will kill anything it finds but they rarely ever met.

As far as extinct predators, I have not heard of any.

HB :D:D

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
It's not abundant at all, I know........

How about the 'chupacabra'?

Mirador, help me out here..............

Bok

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
the mongoose was brought in towards the latter part of the 19th century as an attempt to fight the rats that were eating the sugar cane. This was done at the same time as this happened in Hawaii.
The problem was that the mongoose is a diurnal animal and the rat is nocturnal. Of course the mongoose will kill anything it finds but they rarely ever met.

You are extrapolating the Hawaiian situation with Hispaniola. What we have here is a ferret (jur?n or hur?n), and it's a noctural carnivore. The tradition of hunting rabbits and other small game with ferrets was brought to Hispaniola from Spain early in the Conquest. Ferret hunting is as ancient as Falconry or hunting with hawks. The DR never had the rat problem with sugarcane as Hawaii.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
the chupacabras (also confused sometimes with bak?)

How about the 'chupacabra'? Mirador, help me out here.....

Bok, I've witnessed the chupacabra's carnage to goats, and also witnessed the predator itself. It's an animal with highly sophisticated mimetic abilities that go beyond mere camouflage, histrionics or simulation. An approaching chupacabras, without being aware of my presence, produced electrical disturbances in my home lighting, and most dramatically, psychosensorial distortions on myself and members of my family. Whatever it is, it has mostly feline MO.

Apr 26, 2002
aegap said:
what are the most abundant predatory animals in the Dr?
By far the most abundant is the Dominican Sanky (Sankius Dominicus). It's range is limited to the coastal areas of the North, South and East of the country.

Though of the rodent family, it looks incredibly human. It prefers to latch onto North American and European bankers, stock brokers, doctors, teachers, office workers and others and doesn't let go. It eats through both leather and synthetic wallets and purses, consumes plastic credit cards and can even worm its way into ATM machines. If bitten, seek the assistance of Hillbilly or AZB immediately, before it's too late!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
By far the most abundant is the Dominican Sanky (Sankius Dominicus). It's range is limited to the coastal areas of the North, South and East of the country.

Though of the rodent family, it looks incredibly human. It prefers to latch onto North American and European bankers, stock brokers, doctors, teachers, office workers and others and doesn't let go. It eats through both leather and synthetic wallets and purses, consumes plastic credit cards and can even worm its way into ATM machines. If bitten, seek the assistance of Hillbilly or AZB immediately, before it's too late!
Now, that's clever.:)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:

Vacation Club OPCs and salespeople are a close second.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:

That's Hillarious!!! :laugh: :laugh:

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Let's all be honest

Plenty of men and women have been hurt, asking for advice on what to do.
Some situations are crazy, and need to be dealt with accordingly, but there are many that really do need help not knowing which way to turn.

When they hear some of the comments that are totally negative, I just imagine how they feel ,afterwards to them.... even worse.

I understand a spade a spade, but there are people that need good advice on what to do,(stay or get out). And that is for the people on this board that really care of someone's self being in a relationship to help them out.

I must give credit to Duncan in trying to help people, because he really truly means well, but also make himself look good in the end. ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Very sorry for my mistake

I meant to post in experience other than predators, nothing to do at you Duncan at all.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Owls

I'm sure there are owls in the DR, over 250 species known to man, and what a great predator. Talking about mice and rats, they will downright clean house on fields, and have been brought into certain areas to do just that, and the population of mice and rats were diminished to bear minimal... happy harvesting. ;)