Fishing in Punta Cana

garretk

Sep 25, 2004
Deep Sea Fishing in Punta Cana area

I am looking for names of companies that provide 1/2 day deep sea fishing charters in the Punta Cana area. I will be in the area in early Nov. and would like some idea of what fish are in season then as well as the cost per person for a 1/2 day charter. Thanks

crappies23

Jun 8, 2004
Has anyone been to resorts close to Natura Park Eco Resort and done some fishing from the beach (surf fishing) lately? What kind if fish can I expect to catch? HELP! ANYONE???

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Fishing

You willNOT do much from the beach, the barrier reef is out a couple hundred yards....very shallow.I have never seen anyone fishing from the beach. There are numerous charters available for "deep sea" fishing, you can check with your hotel reps...
Have a great timeand remember to bring something for sea-sickness...the water is VERY rough going outnto the Mona passage...QUOTE=crappies23]Has anyone been to resorts close to Natura Park Eco Resort and done some fishing from the beach (surf fishing) lately? What kind if fish can I expect to catch? HELP! ANYONE???[/QUOTE]

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There is no beach fishing in Punta Cana or elsewhere here on the island organized for tourists.
There are trips of 4 -6 hours for deepsea fishing, that are really cool.
You can buy the trips online, at the beach, at the hotel or by a tour rep.
Check out www.caribbeanoceanadventures.com for example, they are one of the deepsea fishing organizers in Punta Cana, probably the biggest.
On the fishing page, below to the left you can chose calendar on the menu and see what fish you may catch depending on time of visit.
Enjoy!

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
bring your breakdown rod (bass rod)

crappies23 said:
Has anyone been to resorts close to Natura Park Eco Resort and done some fishing from the beach (surf fishing) lately? What kind if fish can I expect to catch? HELP! ANYONE???

I keep reading negative things about surf fishing in this country.
I don't know why. I do pretty good here!! unfortunatly I don't go as often as I'd like.

I always bring my bass rod and spinning reel with a handfull of a veriety of lures.
I"ve never fished where you're talking about or been there. But come prepared. Everywhere I have been I've seen decent places to toss out at. Was talking to an old local pescador today and scoping out spots in Cabarete ?Caberete? He said he gets some decent size fish (but was getting skunked when I was talking to him though) Also see a lot of good "gameable" fish when ever I snorkle. (found myself crying a few days ago because I didn't have my gear with me durring a snorkle trip)

Don't know what you might catch as it seems to be different around every cove. But even the small guys will give you a good fight. Just plan on light/med. tackel (12 lb test at most)

I find the "Pangaderos" here over priced compared to Mexico and not nearly as productive from what info I've gathered and personally prefer to go at it myself off the rocks. Other option: rent a kayak to get on the outside or middle pockets of the reefs and rocks, if you do this, bring an apropriate sized folding anchore and rope incase the wind isn't blowing the way you want. Try www.texaskayakfisherman.com for kayak fishing tips and rigging.
They'll give you an idea of the type of anchor to buy (worth the price and not so heavy)
Good luck!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
pescador said:
I keep reading negative things about surf fishing in this country.
I don't know why. I do pretty good here!! unfortunatly I don't go as often as I'd like.

I always bring my bass rod and spinning reel with a handfull of a veriety of lures.
I"ve never fished where you're talking about or been there. But come prepared. Everywhere I have been I've seen decent places to toss out at. Was talking to an old local pescador today and scoping out spots in Cabarete ?Caberete? He said he gets some decent size fish (but was getting skunked when I was talking to him though) Also see a lot of good "gameable" fish when ever I snorkle. (found myself crying a few days ago because I didn't have my gear with me durring a snorkle trip)

Don't know what you might catch as it seems to be different around every cove. But even the small guys will give you a good fight. Just plan on light/med. tackel (12 lb test at most)

I find the "Pangaderos" here over priced compared to Mexico and not nearly as productive from what info I've gathered and personally prefer to go at it myself off the rocks. Other option: rent a kayak to get on the outside or middle pockets of the reefs and rocks, if you do this, bring an apropriate sized folding anchore and rope incase the wind isn't blowing the way you want. Try www.texaskayakfisherman.com for kayak fishing tips and rigging.
They'll give you an idea of the type of anchor to buy (worth the price and not so heavy)
Good luck!
I have never seen a person surf-casting in the DR..ever, you do see locals fishing off the town piers, but organized deep sea fishing via your tour agencies seems to be what most people do.I don't think it's a case of "you can't" I think people don't do it because it's not productive, otherwise you would see more locals doing so in the non touristy areas.

crappies23

Jun 8, 2004
Fishing from beach in and around Natura Park resort in Punta cana

Will be going to Punta Cana at the end of August and want to know if we can do any surf fishing. Will be staying at the Natura Park resort. Any help / information will be greatly appreciated.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To the best of my knowledge there is no surf fishing in Punta Cana beach. The hotels can connect you with deep sea fishing.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
MikeFisher said:
there never been catched a 600+lbs marlin in front of punta cana.
you read too much magazines of other destinations, you should learn about fishing your local waters first

Don't know why you're answering posts from last year but what the heck. Here's a picture of a marlin that was caught last year in one of PUNTACANA's tournaments. The next day, they caught an even bigger one that didn't fit under the scale lift. See Picture

So you tell me, are there or aren't there big Marlins around Punta Cana?

CDT

Mar 28, 2006
Contact Cesar Toledo at 809 345-3993, he knows every thing there is to know about fishing in the Dominicanr Republic, from Bass fishing, surf fishing and Snook and Tarpon at our rivers delta