All-Inclusive Cattle Herd

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
I was just wondering if anyone else the all-inclusives walking around with large groups of people that remind me of a herd of cattle. I saw a few weeks ago about fifty people walking down the beach in two by two formation and noticed that none of them would even look over in the direction of the shops. One person began talking to one of the shop owners and three of the others in the group began crowding around her and she quickly stopped talking or even looking in his direction. Although I have never been to the orientation I have have heard many people tell me about the things they tell their guests but this scene seemed to me as if they had brainwashed these people. What people in their right mind would let someone else tell them who they can talk to and where they can go? I still haven't decided whether the scene was comical or sad. A question I would like to pose to this group is do you think this practice would be allowed in the U.S. or Europe? My personal feeling is that the all-inclusives are a major detriment to the island.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Under what U.S. or European law would it be banned? Since you wonder if it would be "allowed". As long as there are gullible AI tourists afraid to travel on their own this will be a part of the joyful experience.

The description of some sort of cult-like prevention of freely shopping for crap at independent crap merchants vs. the AI's preferred crap merchants sounds quite contrived and as phoney as a honest sankie. I think you made it up.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I live here, and have never seen what you are describing.
50 people in a row to the beach???
The only time this happens is if there is a group of indivuduals that are going on a beach related trip, like on a catamaran, boat/snorkeling etc and they go together to the point of departure that would be the beach...
For shopping, exept for the beach vendors, that would be in the Plaza here in Playa Dorada and not the beach.. or in the city itself..
In Sosua it would be on the beach as well, as in the city... but not as a group... People can have arrived in a bus together for a daily tour, but to be told where to go/where to buy?? No. :cross-eye

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know about the US but Europe - especially in the summer - is full of bovine (or should it be ovine) herds of tourists meekly following tyrannical guides from obligatory site to site, shopping in souvenir shops and eating in restaurants recommended/approved by the tour operator (i.e. they get a cut).

'If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium'.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Always Wonder What Makes People Critisize The "AI" Experience???

"So What?" if some people go the "AI" way? It must not be "THAT" bad as there always seems to be customers.So people like to go "camping",some don't.That doesn't mean that "Campers",or "AIers" are wrong,just different!If this thread has a purpose,I for one,can't see it!
You say "Tomato" and I say "Tomaaaahto"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
AI or chartertourism is a way of spending a vacation, and a succesfull way, as so many people are buying the concept.
Its cheap in comparence to individual travel on the same level, you get group rate, even as an individual, most is fixed for you.. and this is what many people prefer on a week or 2 weeks vacation...

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Why would I make it up?

ricktoronto said:
Under what U.S. or European law would it be banned? Since you wonder if it would be "allowed". As long as there are gullible AI tourists afraid to travel on their own this will be a part of the joyful experience.

The description of some sort of cult-like prevention of freely shopping for crap at independent crap merchants vs. the AI's preferred crap merchants sounds quite contrived and as phoney as a honest sankie. I think you made it up.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This does happen. On our one and only and never repeated AI vacation, the guides held the group in check and shopping and eating was pre-arranged with certain venues and vendors. Richard and I bought a giant coconut chock full of rum and two straws and drank our way through this novel experience. The next day we skipped the tour and simply got the coconut!

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
I live here as well and most people who saw this phenomenon saw it in town as there has been hardly anyone at the beach lately. The people did not come in a bus they were from one of the local AI's and since you live here it should be very easy for you to figure out which one. As far as the question you posed and answered yourself I have a question for you. Do you think that telling people that the DR is a dangerous place and that people will get robbed is telling them where to go/where to buy?

carina said:
I live here, and have never seen what you are describing.
50 people in a row to the beach???
The only time this happens is if there is a group of indivuduals that are going on a beach related trip, like on a catamaran, boat/snorkeling etc and they go together to the point of departure that would be the beach...
For shopping, exept for the beach vendors, that would be in the Plaza here in Playa Dorada and not the beach.. or in the city itself..
In Sosua it would be on the beach as well, as in the city... but not as a group... People can have arrived in a bus together for a daily tour, but to be told where to go/where to buy?? No. :cross-eye

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
They would probably enjoy prison life as well.

carina said:
AI or chartertourism is a way of spending a vacation, and a succesfull way, as so many people are buying the concept.
Its cheap in comparence to individual travel on the same level, you get group rate, even as an individual, most is fixed for you.. and this is what many people prefer on a week or 2 weeks vacation...

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Hmmmm

How did they get there then all the AI are in Playa Dorada or Costa Dorada, Cofresi or the Riu Hotels by Mamon which would be a long walk.

jstnorv05 said:
. The people did not come in a bus they were from one of the local AI's and since you live here it should be very easy for you to figure out which one.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
I absolutely agree with you if the choice is made with good information. What I am talking about is the AIs practice of using fear and playing on the ignorance of tourists to create a glorified prison. The only people I have met so far who have chosen AI over a regular vacation who know this country well fall into two camps. Those who are with their families and want to spend most of their time in the hotel with them and those who get firesale prices and use the place as a base camp to go out and explore. Most people I have met who have gone outside the prison walls for the first time and meet the people who live here swear they will never go back after all the lies they were told.

Criss Colon said:
"So What?" if some people go the "AI" way? It must not be "THAT" bad as there always seems to be customers.So people like to go "camping",some don't.That doesn't mean that "Campers",or "AIers" are wrong,just different!If this thread has a purpose,I for one,can't see it!

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
There are no AIs in Sosua?

oldschool said:
How did they get there then all the AI are in Playa Dorada or Costa Dorada, Cofresi or the Riu Hotels by Mamon which would be a long walk.

jstnorv05 said:
. The people did not come in a bus they were from one of the local AI's and since you live here it should be very easy for you to figure out which one.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AI's suck and YOU have to have a herd mentality if you go to one in my opinion. I always shake my head when people say they are going to one. Food is terrible at best, price here in the DR is more and the experience is less.

I have NOT seen large herds of AI's grazing in Sosua or POP but that is not to say it doesn't happen.

Escott

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Ahhhh....

I was thinking you saw them is Puerto Plata my bad. In that case then I WOULD warn them about going into town as well Sosua is what you call a "Tourist Trap"

jstnorv05 said:
There are no AIs in Sosua?

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
You would warn them about how dangerous Sosua is? That's laughable.

oldschool said:
I was thinking you saw them is Puerto Plata my bad. In that case then I WOULD warn them about going into town as well Sosua is what you call a "Tourist Trap"

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Maybe you don't understand my meaning of the expression "Tourist Trap". It has nothing to do with danger. It is in reference to the price scale of goods and services.

jstnorv05 said:
You would warn them about how dangerous Sosua is? That's laughable.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
People should be on the lookout for that everywhere in the world. People shop around for the best prices when they are at home and they should do the same while on vacation.

oldschool said:
Maybe you don't understand my meaning of the expression "Tourist Trap". It has nothing to do with danger. It is in reference to the price scale of goods and services.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Criss Colon said:
I always go AI and I certainly do not have a herd mentality nor do I fear travelling around.

The food is plenty good enough for me, especially at Fun Tropicale and Jack Tar.
The couple of times I have gotten sick were from eating elsewhere.

The AI is simply a home base for me.
I am coming and going all of the time and actually spend very little time just hanging around, and I spend absolutely no time at all being herded around.

I have only attended a couple of the orientations but never have I heard any fear mongering.
In fact they always encourage people to go out and see the sites, meet some people, and spend some money.
Yes, they do try to get you to buy tours from them instead of others but this is simply a matter of sales.

Going to an AI and just staying there is not for me but for those who do enjoy this, good for you.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
jstnorv05 said:
They would probably enjoy prison life as well.

No need to judge people like that.
The wonderful part of DR touristwise is that there are choices... The AI on various places, several guesthouses, ordinary hotels.... backpackers inns..
There is something for everyone...

I agree with Malibook, the touristreps do repeat to their tourists it is better to go on excursions than on your own. They simply want to sell their tours and grab their comission. Simple as that.