pilot license

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
does anyone know if the dominican government requires a pilot license for hot air balloons?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think that they would require one for just one reason

I don't think that anyone in their right mind would try and fly a hot air baloon in the DR!!

REASON: The constant winds from the east southeast would push that baby all over God's creation, and you'd end up in Cuba or the Bahamas lickety-split.

In the Cibao Valley, you'd end up in the mountains or, if you got over them, in the sea....

This is just not a nice hot air place. Come and see for yourself.

And I am basing this on all the National Geographic films I have seen about the great baloon festivals in New Mexico and other parts of the US Midwest!....

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Some 11 years ago there was a hot air balloon excursion trip for tourists that used to run out of Puerto Plata. Guests would be picked up from their hotels at 06.30, be in place to 'fill' the balloon by 07.00 & the balloon would ascend at 07.30 latest. Winds were light (generally) at that hour & a flight of 30 minutes to max of one hour COULD be accomplished.

I do not know if archives of the old "Puerto Plata News" (part of the printed Santo Domingo News which was the predecessor of THIS webpage), but an article WAS written by one Ginnie Bedggood who took the trip one Sunday & wrote on the experience!!

Sorry, back to you question ........ YES, pilots licence WAS required, plus numerous bits of additional paperwork for a balloon flight only obtainable from a, or x, or y in various governmental departments & each requiring a few hundred pesos for filing the uncommon paperwork!! I can also advise that Puerto Plata air traffic controllers get quite animated if they do not flight plans & then see a blip of a balloon on their scanners!!! GREAT fun !! ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Having spent many morns

By the sea in Punta Rucia, I can agree that an hour's flight might be possible, but I would still like to be teathered before one of these.

HB scaredy-cat.......maybe....

a further note: Columbus, in his diaries, told the Spanish court that a sailor had to be offshore before 10 a.m. in order to be far enough at sea in order to be able to navegate the stron on-shore winds...FWIW

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Looking at the other posts Leominster has been making & the desire here to mispell what what clearly written Bedggood, why am I left with the imression that our old friend Brian Wales aka avocado, aka stubbins is back posting again?? Note the speed to attack the curmudgeon (unwarranted again). Note the speed to come onto a post I have made & have a go at Ms Bedggood (aka Margorie Proops to Brian Wales only). Join date of 26th inst?? A few days after trying to get back on here as Stubbins & failing, as he also failed on the other site???

Can some people NOT take the hint? ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
JDJones said:
What are you talking about? Did you post this on the wrong thread?
Sorry JD but you were asleep when it all happened! A certain person called Leominster came a calling. I recognised who he was & made comment - Robert has obviously removed the offending post or two AND the offending avocado/Wales/stubbins (this time called leomoinster!!)

I tell you, you blink on these forums these days & you have missed a whole episode of chat/debate!! ~ Grahame.