How does a Canadian female go about getting dual citizenship by marrying her DR man?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
click here for info about citizenship

Also some info from another thread:

If you are getting married in the Dominican Republic, the separate property agreement must be prepared by a Dominican Notary BEFORE the marriage (that?s why it?s called a ?prenuptial? agreement) and handed over to the Civil Registry Officer (?Oficial de Estado Civil?) at the marriage.
I am assuming that you?ll want the agreement to be enforceable in the Dominican Republic. If you don?t care about this but are only interested in its validity in your home country, then you?ll have to consult an attorney from home.

The prenuptial agreement is as simple or as complicated as the future spouses want it to be. A straight separation agreement is a very simple document. It will state in legal terms that whatever a spouse acquired before or during marriage will belong to him/her exclusively and that assets in a spouse?s name belong to that spouse exclusively.

If the spouses do not sign a prenuptial, their assets are governed by the community-property provisions of the Civil Code (Articles 1400 to 1496). Spouses are 50-50 owners of all matrimonial assets. These assets consist of the following:

1) All moveable properties (in essence, everything but real estate) belonging to either spouse at the time of the marriage or acquired by either of them during marriage, even by inheritance or gift unless the testator or donor has expressed otherwise.

2) All income from properties belonging exclusively for whatever reason to either spouse.

3) All immovable properties (real estate) acquired by either spouse during marriage.

To translate this into simple terms, without a ?prenup,? whatever money, stocks, bonds, vehicles, credits, etc. (everything but real estate) you may have on the day of the marriage, is split 50-50 with your spouse when you say ?yes, I do?. If your parents leave you $1,000,000 in their will and they do not expressly or implicitly state that this is for you alone, and not for your spouse, then your spouse will get 50%. (Fifteen years ago, I actually dealt with a case like this involving an American couple living in the DR).

You may ask why this is so. The answer is that we are, I believe, the only country in the world still governed by the original provisions of the Napoleonic Code, which dates from 1804, a time when wealth was almost exclusively ?immovable?, i.e., real estate, and therefore it was not considered of importance that all ?moveables? be part of the matrimonial community. In France, the code was amended a long time ago to include only properties acquired during marriage as community property.

And:
During your marriage, income received from any asset goes into the matrimonial community, no matter whether the asset belongs to just one spouse or to both (Article 1401-2 of the Civil Code). After your demise, the personal asset goes to your heirs and so does the income from that asset.

Real estate acquired by one of the spouses before marriage remains the separate property of that spouse.

eso_mami

Jun 1, 2005
great info

Hi Carina,

Thanks for the great information - will have to let my parents know this to have that put in their will. I tell ya, if you don't ask questions, you won't get the answers you're looking for. Thanks again Carina

eso mami

eso_mami

Jun 1, 2005
one more thing...

what documents will I need to bring with me other than that Carina? this is something I've been wondering...will I have to pay off any loans I have before going there to get my dual citizenship? ANY other great information would be great as well...

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
I'm missing something

Anna Coniglio said:

I read the link but I still don't get if there is anything special a girl has to do other than marrying a Dominican. The link says you are eligble if you marry and the next paragraph says if you don't meet the above (being married to a Dominican) this is what you have to do. But, what steps would someone married to a Domincan take. Is it as simple as going to the Ministry or finding a good lawyer and saying I want citizenship or is there something else? It seems, according to the link, there are some rules (such as length of living there, etc) for those not married but it doesn't really state anything if you are married. Are there documents or requirements not listed? I admit, I may just be blind in this case and not reading it correctly. Please, mickey mouse it and spell it out for us that don't know.

Thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I believe the only advantage to marrying a Dominican is that you don't need these two requirements

Evidence of solvency such as bank deposits, property titles, vehicle registrations or a work contract;
Notarized letter of guarantee from a Dominican person or corporation or a permanent resident;

But do check with a lawyer.

Here's the link to DRLawyers

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
eso_mami said:
Hi Carina,

Thanks for the great information - will have to let my parents know this to have that put in their will. I tell ya, if you don't ask questions, you won't get the answers you're looking for. Thanks again Carina

eso mami
Dammmmmm!!!!!!! Are you another peachez? .......Why don't you girls just finish growing up as well as school before you have these guys suckling on your parent's mammary.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Would a certificate....

that you are mentally capable, or have never been to the loony house, be good to have as well?

BRPasha

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
pasha said:
that you are mentally capable, or have never been to the loony house, be good to have as well?

BRPasha

Nice to see you're still alive and kicking Bill. What part of the world are you in now?

eso_mami

Jun 1, 2005
Mr_DR said:
Dammmmmm!!!!!!! Are you another peachez? .......Why don't you girls just finish growing up as well as school before you have these guys suckling on your parent's mammary.

WHOA! First of all Mr DR, you should not say things before you know what you are talking about. I am not a child nor am I in school - I work full time for a great company and I don't need my parents money as I have plenty myself. I was under the impression that no matter what, you should have your parents support and help if/when the time comes.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Short story

Anna Coniglio said:
Nice to see you're still alive and kicking Bill. What part of the world are you in now?

Hi Anna/all - out of Iraq and in Dubai, but have been spending a lot of time in one of the world's garden spots: Djibouti [think Haiti, but expensive as hell], on the Horn of Africa. That's what I get for speaking Arabic and French. Anyhow, almost no net connect down there and when you get it, it's 60 US cents a minute. Am trying to weasel my way to Cairo for the long haul.

DR1 still my favorite site....but even after long hiatus it's funny to see that the two principal themes remain the same: love-torn women and women who are love torn.

Hope you and all the other regulars are keeping well and out of trouble. I think of you often.

Best, Bill

Nov 5, 2004
Mr_DR said:

What the he-l-l is that supposed to mean????

I've had a long bad day..and this jsut pissed me off..normally I don't respond to idiotic posts like this...but I have had a really grumpy day.

Didn't realize it was a problem to have supportive, kind and caring parents who help you out with things when they can....

And what does school have to do with it? I have finished all the schooling I care to have at the moment. If I want to go back for further college or university..I can do so at the time I choose to.

Maybe it was just something you were lacking as a child and haven't gotten over.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Mr_DR said:

Guy you got some small balls saying that kind of ****...

You make it seem like you know everything about her ....
... so she can say she knows you well too and clearly say that you do have small balls and if you were to use your dick as a kick stand you'd just fall over......

Next time you wanna say a low blow or something stupid like that think about it twice.... what comes around goes around !

Nov 5, 2004
la_barbie said:
Guy you got some small balls saying that kind of ****...

You make it seem like you know everything about her ....
... so she can say she knows you well too and clearly assume that you do have small balls and if you were to use your dick as a kick stand you'd just fall over......

Next time you wanna say a low blow or something stupid like that think about it twice.... what comes around goes around !
hahaha
I love it.

I hope that reply doesn't "disspear."