Barahona Hotels and Transportation

mozart

Jun 26, 2005
Hello DR Aficionados:
My husband and I are planning our second trip to the DR in July. We went in February to the North Coast and Samana which we loved. This time we're going to Santo Domingo and take a bus to Barahona. I'd really appreciate some recommendations on hotels and car rentals. I thought we'd 'go local" and not rent a car until we get to Barahona but I'm a little nervous about landing at a bus stop and not knowing where to head to first! Any suggestions. I do like my hot water but other than that we're flexible.
I'm not willing to pay $90 for a couple which is want to eco tour peopel want!
Thanks so much.
Kathleen Mozart

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
I visited Barahona last year for a few days. Basically there is not much to do there, you'll hardly find a restaurant there, and the surroundings is very dry. You won't find the nice palmtrees and the white beaches there, but only cactus. But I haven't been outside Barahona, so I can't really comment on that, besides what I saw from the bus back to Santo Domingo. I have been told there must be a nice small beach town towards the south of Barahona.
Barahona doesn't have a lot of choice in hotels, but as Barahona is very small, all hotels are relative close to each other. So, don't worry from the busstop, all hotels are close by. I picked my hotel last year from the Lonely Planet. There is a Barcelo resort close to Barahona, I think this is the best hotel in the wide surroundings. Besides Barcelo, there are not many tourists, so the people are very nice. That is the big advantage of this area in my opinion. When you are there I would advice to also make a trip to San Juan de la Maguana. The travel there is a wonderful trip (from Azua to San Juan): mountains, palm trees, lakes, rice fields etc.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Barcel? Bahoruco Beach Resort

It's closed (bank foreclosure), great beach (...for beachcombers, no sand, mostly quartz gravel, some larimar pebbles to be found...). ...It mostly catered to tourist from Port au Prince (about 1.5 hrs drive away)

mozart

Jun 26, 2005
Barahona

Dear European Guy:Thanks for the reply. I couldn't figure out how to find the reply until today! Anyway, I'm hoping the lack of tourism makes up for the obvious lack in surroundings. My husband is a surfer and we're going to check out the area around Barrahuco. Also, I think I have a few local contacts that might help. I read some horrible reviews about hotel Gran Brahahona and red ants so I guess we're forewarned. On another topic, we're booked at an expensive hotel in the Colonial zone the first night - the Sofitel Francis - do you have any other recommendations for hotels in
Santo Domingo?
Kathy
europeanguy said:
I visited Barahona last year for a few days. Basically there is not much to do there, you'll hardly find a restaurant there, and the surroundings is very dry. You won't find the nice palmtrees and the white beaches there, but only cactus. But I haven't been outside Barahona, so I can't really comment on that, besides what I saw from the bus back to Santo Domingo. I have been told there must be a nice small beach town towards the south of Barahona.
Barahona doesn't have a lot of choice in hotels, but as Barahona is very small, all hotels are relative close to each other. So, don't worry from the busstop, all hotels are close by. I picked my hotel last year from the Lonely Planet. There is a Barcelo resort close to Barahona, I think this is the best hotel in the wide surroundings. Besides Barcelo, there are not many tourists, so the people are very nice. That is the big advantage of this area in my opinion. When you are there I would advice to also make a trip to San Juan de la Maguana. The travel there is a wonderful trip (from Azua to San Juan): mountains, palm trees, lakes, rice fields etc.

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
Thanks Mozart for your reply. Santo Domingo is a very expensive city regarding hotels. But in calle Danae there are a few cheap hotels. This is close to the colonial zone. You can do best a search for calle danae on this forum to get some names. For good hotels for around US$50 it is best to see on websites like expedia.com, travelocity.com etc. Also colonialtours.com.do has good prices, although more oriented towards resorts.
Sofitel is beautiful located. The colonial zone is an area with very nice restaurants, bars. When I'm in Santo Domingo it is an area which I come sometimes in the weekends. But also a very expensive area in SD. I spend always my time in the Naco area. Here you will find nice restaurants, shops, houses, some big shopping malls close by. It is a modern, rich part of SD close to the major reads with the buses. Also some hotels in this area, for example Hotel Naco. SD has no beach itself. For this you need go outside SD, for example Boca Chica. Here there are some cheap hotels. But Boca Chica has a nice beach, but in the evening not very recommendable, as Boca Chica is famous for prostitution. Better stay in SD for hotels, evening nightlife and make a trip to Boca Chica during the day for the beach.

mozart

Jun 26, 2005
Calle Danae

europeanguy said:
Ok, I'll check Calle Danae - this Forum is amazing! We have a contact in Samana who recommended Hotel Naco as well but I wanted to be in or near the Colonial Zone if I'm in Santo Domingo at all. I hear the area outside of Barahona is very nice and interesting but no white sand beaches. I'll check in after our trip and let you know what we've found. Thanks again for all your help.
Kathy

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
and others

mozart said:
europeanguy said:
Ok, I'll check Calle Danae - this Forum is amazing! We have a contact in Samana who recommended Hotel Naco as well but I wanted to be in or near the Colonial Zone if I'm in Santo Domingo at all. I hear the area outside of Barahona is very nice and interesting but no white sand beaches. I'll check in after our trip and let you know what we've found. Thanks again for all your help.
Kathy

Venus bar and grill/hotel
www.condo-parque.ch.vu/ about 35 a night 2blk from colonial zone
809-682-6430

Feb 15, 2005
barahona

There are great Cabana rentals on the beach just outside of the town. I'm not sure how much. There are great kiosks in San Rafael (10 minute ride from town) see castillosdelcaribe.com.

You can definately find things to do see there i.e. Polo Magnetico, San Rafael, Bahia de Las Aguilas.

Rich