Communication System for Apartment Building

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The condo where I live is studying various ways to improve security for the residents. At present time the stairways to our buildings are open and anybody can enter. We are talking about controlling entry by erecting a door for each of the 3 entryways and requiring occupants to open the door to visitors they want to let in. To make this work, we need a means of voice communicaton between the entry door and each apartment. Are systems like this available in the DR and, if so, who can I contact for information and prices.

We don't want a buzzer system, just voice communication. This means the occupant has to open the door after seeing who is calling, but better this than to have a lazy occupant push the buzzer to let in the undesireables we are trying to keep out. If an undesireable pushes enough buttons he is sure to find a lazy occupant that will open the door with the buzzer.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Same in POP

... more and more apartment buildings have this, especially the new buildings that are built.
Also started to be common on Malecon in those buildings where apartments are owned, not rented.
Mostly just voice, but I?ve seen a few with video & voice as well.

Before I found this house, where I live, several years ago, the apartment that I rented downtown had voice comunication and we opened for visitors with a button.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
I'm sure... hundreds of apartment buildings in SD have a similar system. Some with voice, others with voice and video. All depends on your budget.

You can also buy online and have it shipped here and installed if you cannot find exactly what you want here.

http://www.quantometrix.com/

http://www.tektone.net/tekentryapartment.htm

Robert, thanks for the links. Are these systems wireless or wired?

Carina, how did the system where you lived previously work? Did the person wanting entry call or buzz the apartment? I worry about a system where the occupant of the apartment buzzes to open the door for fear a careless occupant, maybe a renter only here for a week or two, might automatically buzz to open the door without checking. I like the idea of somebody having to go to the door to give entry, but that would mean people on the 3rd floor would have to do some walking. But, since the system would be installed for security reasons, I'd like to be sure it does gvive security and not just the illusion of it.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Ken said:
Robert, thanks for the links. Are these systems wireless or wired?

Carina, how did the system where you lived previously work? Did the person wanting entry call or buzz the apartment? I worry about a system where the occupant of the apartment buzzes to open the door for fear a careless occupant, maybe a renter only here for a week or two, might automatically buzz to open the door without checking. I like the idea of somebody having to go to the door to give entry, but that would mean people on the 3rd floor would have to do some walking. But, since the system would be installed for security reasons, I'd like to be sure it does gvive security and not just the illusion of it.

They called to a phone, installed inside the apt. I could chose to open the door with a button to buzz.
Unfortunately it was destroyed very often, by people playing with the buttons by the entry... maybe better now, at that time it was a mess... I usually went out to the balcony instead to see who it was and went down and opened the door.