Rio San Juan to Samana

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'm planning a trip to the DR in August and would like to visit Rio San Juan before I go on to Las Galeras. Can someone tell me how I can get the Caribe Tours or Metro from Rio San Juan to Samana? Will be necessary to go to Sousua? And if so, is there a guagua? TIA.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RonS said:
I'm planning a trip to the DR in August and would like to visit Rio San Juan before I go on to Las Galeras. Can someone tell me how I can get the Caribe Tours or Metro from Rio San Juan to Samana? Will be necessary to go to Sousua? And if so, is there a guagua? TIA.

You need to get to Nagua. I believe that there is a Caribe Tours bus from Rio San Juan that passes through Nagua on the way to Santo Domingo. Take that bus to Nagua, then get a Caribe Tours bus or Metro bus from Nagua to Samana. Caribe Tours has more buses during the day than Metro.

I'm almost certain I'm right about getting to Nagua from Rio San Juan on Caribe Tours, but if I'm not, take a guagua from Rio San Juan to Caribe Tours in Nagua and get one of the buses passing through Nagua on the way from Santo Domingo to Samana.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No CT from Rio San Juan to Las Galeras

Ken said:
... take a guagua from Rio San Juan to Caribe Tours in Nagua and get one of the buses passing through Nagua on the way from Santo Domingo to Samana.

Only way to do it.
There is no service from Sos?a to Nagua.
CT route from SD via Nagua ends at Santa Barbara.
From there Las Galeras is serviced by guaguas.

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks guys! I'm most grateful and am looking forward to a great time in Rio San Juan and Las Galeras, my first trip to both towns.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Morning Ron!!

Just a question: Where are you starting from?

You can get local buses that go from R?o San Juan around to Nagua all day long.

I am positive that there is a CT bus that goes through RSJ early in the morning on th way to Nagua and Sanchez, too.

No matter. You can do the trip in a morning using local mini buses. It will be a very interesting experience.

Once you are in Sanchez, you can get a bus to Saman? and from there another one to Las Galeras..

I am sure there are more ways to skin this cat...

HB :D:D

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Just a question: Where are you starting from?

You can get local buses that go from R?o San Juan around to Nagua all day long.

I am positive that there is a CT bus that goes through RSJ early in the morning on th way to Nagua and Sanchez, too.

No matter. You can do the trip in a morning using local mini buses. It will be a very interesting experience.

Once you are in Sanchez, you can get a bus to Saman? and from there another one to Las Galeras..

I am sure there are more ways to skin this cat...

HB :D:D

Thanks HB! I'll be in the capitol for a few days before doing the trek North and really would like to stop in Rio San Juan before going on to Las Galeras. I really wouldn't mind taking the local bus, but would much prefer the comfortable, although frigid, CT. Do you know if the CT has a regular stop in RSJ or will I have to try to flag it down?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You know, you could....

Do it the "other way around?"

Take the metro bus to Saman?, the local out to Las Galeras, and then back to Saman? where you can get connections to Sanchez, Nagua and R?o San Juan.

To your question. I do believe from something that I think Ken wrote some time ago, that the bus leaves rather early from POP and goes around to Saman?. I could be way off. Why not send Ken a PM (Private Message?)...so naturally it would have a regular stop there in RSJ.

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a Pink bus that goes through Sosua at about 7:10 A.M. every day but Sunday. This bus goes to Samana. I am sure you could flag it down. You will have to guess the time though. I know it gets to Nagua at about 9 AM if that helps.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
SKY said:
There is a Pink bus that goes through Sosua at about 7:10 A.M. every day but Sunday. This bus goes to Samana. I am sure you could flag it down. You will have to guess the time though. I know it gets to Nagua at about 9 AM if that helps.

I should have mentioned that bus. The bus is maroon and has a big Puerto Plata-Samana sign on the front. My guess is that it passes through Rio San Juan about 8 am, but to be safe, I'd start waiting about 7:45 am. Better early than late. Just flag the bus down. It gets to Samana about 10:15 am. If you can g get that bus, it would be the easiest way to get to Samana. It is one of those Japanese buses, not as big or as comfortable as Caribe Tours or Metro but bigger, more comfortable and faster than the guaguas.

Sorry I didn't mention it in my first response. Sleeping at the switch, I guess.

N.C.

Oct 18, 2004
k

the metro its not working right now... take a caribe tour or public transport

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
RonS said:
Thanks HB! I'll be in the capitol for a few days before doing the trek North and really would like to stop in Rio San Juan before going on to Las Galeras. I really wouldn't mind taking the local bus, but would much prefer the comfortable, although frigid, CT. Do you know if the CT has a regular stop in RSJ or will I have to try to flag it down?

Yes, Caribe Tours has a a small terminal in Rio San Juan. It is on the main highway just before the main intersection on the north side of the road. The schedule is posted on the window.

The bus to San Fransisco may also stop in Nagua.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
DianaC said:
Yes, Caribe Tours has a a small terminal in Rio San Juan. It is on the main highway just before the main intersection on the north side of the road. The schedule is posted on the window.

The bus to San Fransisco may also stop in Nagua.

Excellent! Many thanks!