Voluntary Work

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Im looking to stay in the DR for about 6 months towards the end of this year or maybe beginning of next.

I have money to support myself for this time and im interested in doing some voluntary work within either Puerto Plata or Sousa as i will be staying half way between both of them.

I have at moment very little Spanish but i am taking lessons. I have good admin/business/customer service skills as i am at the moment an office manager in customer services for a large golfing company.I also enjoy working with children and am not adversed to getting my hands dirty either !!.

I would hopefully use this experience to improve my Spanish and to contribute something to a country that i love so much.

Any advice or help would be gratefully received.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You can volunteer at schools, the public schools always welcome people who have some time and want to work with the kids on a longer period.
You can teach them English, or handle some sport/activitites.
Or volunteer with only sportactivites. There is for instance an American guy living here, he is a couch for one of Puerto Plata Basketball teams for children.
Or raise money.

One possibility would be to contact Fundacion Patria when you come.
This foundation is dedicated to help schools in Puerto Plata.
The head is the manager of Hotel Fun Royale in Playa Dorada,
Mario Mattana. He speaks English and his email is MMattana@FunRoyale-Tropicale.com, and phone 809 320 40 54.