Terry McMillan divorcing 'Groove' sankie

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm not sure if this has been posted before?

I guess life with a sankie isn't all roses :)

Author Terry McMillan has filed for divorce from the man who inspired the 1996 novel "How Stella Got Her Groove Back," which chronicled the romantic adventures of a 40-something woman who falls for a guy half her age....

He did good :) That's my boy!

McMillan to pay Plummer $2,000 a month in spousal support and $25,000 in attorney's fees until the case comes back to court in October.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/06/29/people.terrymcmillan.ap/index.html

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Robert said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted before?

I guess life with a sankie isn't all roses :)

Author Terry McMillan has filed for divorce from the man who inspired the 1996 novel "How Stella Got Her Groove Back," which chronicled the romantic adventures of a 40-something woman who falls for a guy half her age....

He did good :) That's my boy!

McMillan to pay Plummer $2,000 a month in spousal support and $25,000 in attorney's fees until the case comes back to court in October.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/06/29/people.terrymcmillan.ap/index.html
I nominate "Jonathan Plummer" as SANKIE OF THE YEAR not only did he live in the lapse of luxury for 6 wonderful years, he's going to end up with a sizeable "Alimony" to boot!
When does his book come out? "My Life as a Sankie"

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes Robert someone did post about it. We are all broken hearted. There goes out role model :laugh:

fortywater

May 4, 2005
DR Related?

Just a quesiton, but what does this have to do with the DR? Was either one of them Dominican? Did they meet in the DR? That seems to be the current litmus test for acceptable posts on this board, so I was just wondering.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
fortywater said:
Just a quesiton, but what does this have to do with the DR? Was either one of them Dominican? Did they meet in the DR? That seems to be the current litmus test for acceptable posts on this board, so I was just wondering.

Oh no, Robert didn't follow the rules. I'll have to give him two points as soon as I can find his button :laugh:

This subject of how Stella Got Her Groove Back has been discussed and compared to what happens to women when they go to the DR. So now we can put that theory to rest since it bombed. We'll never have to talk about it again.

Any more question? ;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, Anna

The theory didn't exactly 'bomb'...

A marriage of 6 years is not a laughing matter...with a Sankie or not!

I was married for 15, and my marriage went kaput...so I think the fact that they lasted that long is something wonderful...

Nothing lasts forever, right? Isn't that the saying? At least she enjoyed herself for quite a while...

What I don't agree on is the fact that now she has to support HIM, wasn't he from a well to do family also?

Just my 2 cheles...

MQ
Oh, my God...I guess nobody read the report...I just realized that she says that:
In papers filed in Contra Costa County Superior Court, McMillan, 53, says she decided to end her 6 1/2-year marriage to Jonathan Plummer, 30, after learning he is gay.
The revelation led her to conclude Plummer married only to get his U.S. citizenship, she said. McMillan met Plummer at a Jamaican resort a decade ago.
"It was devastating to discover that a relationship I had publicized to the world as life-affirming and built on mutual love was actually based on deceit," she said in court papers. "I was humiliated."
In response, Plummer maintained McMillan treated him with "homophobic" scorn bordering on harassment since he came out to her as gay just before Christmas.
McMillan is seeking to have the marriage annulled; Plummer has asked the court to set aside a prenuptial agreement that would prevent him from getting spousal support.

Now, that IS a good reason to end the marriage, and if they can prove that he used her to get to the US, they might even be able to annul the marriage as she wants.

WOW, now that is something to worry about!!

Last edited:

VermontDR

May 12, 2005
turns out he's gay

I saw an interview with him yesterday - turns out he's gay.

OH MY! Gives new meaning to the title "How Stella got her groove....back" :eek:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
King Sankiette Plummer on Oprah

This 'guy' looks gay, dresses gay, talks gay .... so I guess Ms. McMillan was really blind with lust.:cross-eye

Sep 19, 2005
she earned her money from the book AFTER they were married, right?....not before....he should file for entitlement to half of her earnings on the book......if she had written the book ( basis for her increased income I am thinking) before they were married...different story.........they lived in america I gather.....it will depend on the state for sure.. then on the judge.... there really is no equity in divorce in america anyway.........bob

Betty1

Nov 22, 2003
Jersey Devil said:
Didn't she have a pre-nup?

JD

Caught it briefly on Oprah they did have a pre-nup, seems he wanted to contest it anyway. As for the book she claimed to have finished prior to his arrival in the States.

Betty

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
If I am not mistaken - she did finish the book before they were married and sold the rights for the movie before they were married. (according to People Magazine)

Besides why should he get any money for her hard work and the lifestyle she introduced him to - (I am also opposed to alimony for women too).

He lied to her about who he was so maybe she could file a civil suit for misleading advertisement.

TorreCellini

Oct 17, 2005
They were on Oprah on other day, he looks very gay. Didn't she recognise that from the beginning when she met him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It was the buldge in his pants that caught her attention... Elemental Sankie 101

HB :p

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Lost opportunity

He should be compensated for lost opportunities. Who knows how many other women and men were deprived of this sankie/sankiette/whatever pleasure? Besides, he inspired her to write the novel so, he's entitled to all proceeds from the book and movie.

Now he's out of the closet, he can't serve both genders ... he's entitled to mucho dinero. Ms. McMillan should pay up pronto so our sankiette can start enjoying the fruits from his hard work. :)