First time to DR

beachbound222

Jun 29, 2005
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on this board - I hope I am doing it correctly :)

My husband and I (we are 31 and 32) are planning a trip to the DR in July and after reading some of the reviews I am a little concerned. But I also think your vacation is what you make of it. We are in need of sandy beaches, tropical sunshine, blue waters and LOTS of cocktails!!!!!!

I have found several AI vacations (which we would like for our first trip) and we are considering Paradise Beach Resort, Bahia Principe Rio San Juan and Azzurro Club Cabarete.

We are low maintenance and are just looking to get away to the tropics - "I gotta fly to St. Somewhere" (for all you Parrotheads out there) :classic:

Any suggestions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Welcome to DR!!
It depends on where you'd like to stay.
I've stayed at Paradise twice just make sure you don't get there loft room with the spiral stairs, I avoided that. If you get a good deal take it I had no problem there. Room was clean.
I've been on day trips to Cabarete nice place and really nice beach big waves ! :classic:
I suggest you get out of the resort a bit and check out the DR. It's a beautiful place and the people are great!!!

Have fun I always do!! ;) :classic:

beachbound222

Jun 29, 2005
thanks for the info

Music said:
Welcome to DR!!
It depends on where you'd like to stay.
I've stayed at Paradise twice just make sure you don't get there loft room with the spiral stairs, I avoided that. If you get a good deal take it I had no problem there. Room was clean.
I've been on day trips to Cabarete nice place and really nice beach big waves ! :classic:
I suggest you get out of the resort a bit and check out the DR. It's a beautiful place and the people are great!!!

Have fun I always do!! ;) :classic:

Thanks for the info on the loft :laugh:

We are leaning towards the Paradise Beach Resort - great price :)

We would love to get out and see the island too. Any suggestions on snorkeling, diving and fun excursions!?!?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Have you decided for sure that you want to visit the North coast or are you open to other suggestions?

They ask because

if you want beaches then Punta Cana is your spot. Of the north coast resorts you have mentioned I personally would pick the Azzuro, decent beach and not in a compound of 15 resorts and easy access to the real Dominican town of Cabarete just a short walk away.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
beachbound222 said:
Why do you ask?!? :nervous:
Well, because I wouldnt make recommendations to people about other parts of the island if they are set on one particular place for whatever reason!!!!!
Is that ok?????

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Paradise

Did the Paradise resort in Playa Dorado two tears ago. I would highly recommend it, close to everything and at a good price
beachbound222 said:
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on this board - I hope I am doing it correctly :)

My husband and I (we are 31 and 32) are planning a trip to the DR in July and after reading some of the reviews I am a little concerned. But I also think your vacation is what you make of it. We are in need of sandy beaches, tropical sunshine, blue waters and LOTS of cocktails!!!!!!

I have found several AI vacations (which we would like for our first trip) and we are considering Paradise Beach Resort, Bahia Principe Rio San Juan and Azzurro Club Cabarete.

We are low maintenance and are just looking to get away to the tropics - "I gotta fly to St. Somewhere" (for all you Parrotheads out there) :classic:

Any suggestions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!

beachbound222

Jun 29, 2005
drloca said:
Well, because I wouldnt make recommendations to people about other parts of the island if they are set on one particular place for whatever reason!!!!!
Is that ok?????

We weren't necessarily set on one part of the island, however I found a great deal at Paradise Beach Resort, Bahia Principe and Azzurro which is why I asked about that area.

Just wondered if you knew something we should know :classic:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
All the 3 options you have made, are good deals.
Paradise though, is located in Playa Dorada, that is the nearest touristcomplex to Puerto Plata. It consists of 14 hotels, plaza, golf-club etc.
You need to get a taxi to get in to town.

Azzurro in Cabarete has, as mentioned, a good beach, and Cabarete is more of a touristic town with streetcaf?s, restaurants by the beach etc.
You can walk in to town any time...

I?d go for Azzurro... but I live in POP so I don?t go anywhere!!!
Please take me with you!!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
beachbound222 said:
We weren't necessarily set on one part of the island, however I found a great deal at Paradise Beach Resort, Bahia Principe and Azzurro which is why I asked about that area.

Just wondered if you knew something we should know :classic:
If you are interested in AI's check out Punta Cana, better beaches........what's a good price? You can do the Sunscape for about 900US per

cal7123

Mar 21, 2005
my 2 cents worth

I've been to the North Shore and had a great time in Cabrete but I really like the beaches of Punta Cana better. Depends on what you want to do - sit on the beach, snorkle, kayak, etc or excurrsions or if it's all about price. My personal favorite in Punta Cana is the Punta Cana Resort and Club but I've stayed at many other places and they have all been just as nice. Depends on the location you're looking for in Punta Cana - near all the other resorts, Bavaro, etc. Have a great trip! July is just a few days away....

beachbound222

Jun 29, 2005
booked our trip

cal7123 said:
I've been to the North Shore and had a great time in Cabrete but I really like the beaches of Punta Cana better. Depends on what you want to do - sit on the beach, snorkle, kayak, etc or excurrsions or if it's all about price. My personal favorite in Punta Cana is the Punta Cana Resort and Club but I've stayed at many other places and they have all been just as nice. Depends on the location you're looking for in Punta Cana - near all the other resorts, Bavaro, etc. Have a great trip! July is just a few days away....

Thanks to everyone who responded! :) We actually booked a trip to Paradise Beach today. I really appreciate everyone's input - this board is by far one of the best!!!

We got a trip for 7 nights for less than $1400 USD total with an upgrade to first class on the plane!! Hopefully, we can upgrade our room once we get there, but we are VERY excited about the trip.

Any suggestions about snorkeling or diving? I hear the safari trip is a blast.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Have fun!

Great for you!
You can buy tours directly at the hotel, from the tour reps and from the sellers at/around the hotel as well as in the Plaza.

Safari tour is really cool, great way to see the beautiful countryside too!!
Spend a day on a catamaran, with lunch, swimming and snorkeling in Sosua Bay..
Golf is close if you are in to that.
Horsebackriding is a blast in this country, also great way to explore the Dominican nature..
Deep sea fishing is another popular outing!

Take a day or at least half to go in to Puerto Plata and explore the little town!
You can see the fortress from 1570, located by the ocean, Central Park that is the heart of the city, maintained and kept in original view since 1872..
By the way, the guide at the fortress ( he is over 90!!! ) is the son of the architect to most of the Victorian houses youll see in town, as well as to Central Park..
Have an Italian icecream by the park at Mariposa, or a beer by the ocean..
Check out the House Of Culture just beside the part, visit the department store Casa Nelson or the sport store Jimenez...
Take a walk to the Amber Museum... follow the same street and you end up in at the local market... a mix of yucca, carrots, pinapple and souvenirs!!

Most of all, have fun, explore and have an open mind, the Dominican people are a generous people and you will love your vacation!!!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
beachbound222 said:
Thanks to everyone who responded! :) We actually booked a trip to Paradise Beach today. I really appreciate everyone's input - this board is by far one of the best!!!

We got a trip for 7 nights for less than $1400 USD total with an upgrade to first class on the plane!! Hopefully, we can upgrade our room once we get there, but we are VERY excited about the trip.

Any suggestions about snorkeling or diving? I hear the safari trip is a blast.
You did VERY well for that price.....you WILL love it.

beachbound222

Jun 29, 2005
ggn420 said:
You did VERY well for that price.....you WILL love it.

You guys are amazing!! The info. we've gotten has been great! We are REALLY looking forward to our trip and can't wait to explore DR and meet the wonderful people everyone has been raving about. Sounds like a wonderful place to get amber jewelry (one of my favorites), rum (who doesn't like that!) and a beautiful tan!!!!!!

I am thinking of taking a diving trip while down there. Any certain guide I should look (or look out) for? Do you think we should book our excursions like the safari trip, snorkeling, etc. at the hotel?

beachbound222

Jun 29, 2005
beachbound222 said:

You guys are amazing!! The info. we've gotten has been great! We are REALLY looking forward to our trip and can't wait to explore DR and meet the wonderful people everyone has been raving about. Sounds like a wonderful place to get amber jewelry (one of my favorites), rum (who doesn't like that!) and a beautiful tan!!!!!!

I am thinking of taking a diving trip while down there. Any certain guide I should look (or look out) for? Do you think we should book our excursions like the safari trip, snorkeling, etc. at the hotel?

OOPS!
Thanks Carina!! After I sent this I read your message again and realized you addressed my question of where to book tours - I was so caught up in thinking about which excursions to take I missed the first line :laugh:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am gonna nominate Carina for POPster of the year!

Well put Carina!

Look folks, if you want to take a look at some of the things you can do there, just look up some posts by Robert: "Damajagua Falls" and Sliver Ghost ( he was drunk when he made up his nickname!!) and Gray Ghost (same guy a bit more sober)..

Robert posts a well written and beautifully illustrated tour of the Damajagua Falls, one great outing.

Sliver Ghost relates his adventures on different trips including the catamaran.

All are good reading.

That said, I do have to plug Santiago de los Caballeros, just an 1:15 ride from POP and the Heart of the Country.
We have the biggest and newest cultural center in Latin America, a Folklore Museum, and a "real" Dominican town. Not many tourists, so it has notlost its Dominican flavor.
We also have great cigar tours for those that are aficionados...

HB :D:D

See my post in Living: Dixieland Jazz Band Concert

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
beachbound222 said:
Any suggestions about snorkeling or diving?

Try the guys in the plaza. If you enter the plaza from the front then its on your left hand side. If you book with the people in the hotel after having the introductory hour then you will pay almost double for scuba diving. The guy who helped me was called Felix - very nice guy.

if you fancy just snorkelling then jump in some transport and head for Sosua bay, 20 mins east. Its far better there than Playa Dorada for seeing fish - this time last year i saw my first turtle :)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Cool HB

Also a little addition to POP...

All the way down on Calle Beller, almost by the harbour, a few guys have opened a cigarfactory. They have a wide selection of cigars, they produce cigars and you can make your own cigar... They even have a try-out corner, just try and chose what you like!
These people are great locals, and they have decorated their little factory with wood, leaves and done everything to make it a special place to visit.
They even greet you with a little rhum!

If you want to experience the rhum more, make a visit at the Brugal factory!
They have tours.

Diving is a blast too, SeaPro Divers is represented at your hotel, and a day with diving will be an everlasting memory!! Introduction lessons are free.

Also, just walking in Puerto Plata will make you see this Caribbean pearl for real.. all small, not always well maintained Victorian houses, telling us about a time that passed... Bright colors.. and on the patio you will see well-used wooden rockingchairs... giving you the message that life is for living, not for being worned out!!!

Just go with the flow, and you will have an amazing stay here!