VERIZON - again...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Is anyone else STILL having issues with Verizon????

I cannot believe they are still having problems. It appears that I need to spend 1/2 my day tracking emails and responses. They just aren't getting through.

BTW, I could have asked this question directly to someone here but I thought others might like to hear the answers.....

I need a good drink......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've lost the occasional e-mail with no error message - very annoying when you can't guarantee that your messages are reaching their recipients.

One day no messages were delivered at all - you know something is wrong when there is not even spam in your inbox - and I missed out on a work commitment.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am losing so many emails going out, I can't even imagine how many I am missing coming in.

I have more than one account and any given day the problems are different!!! IT is making me crazy. And I am crazy enough already.....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Chirimoya said:
I've lost the occasional e-mail with no error message - very annoying when you can't guarantee that your messages are reaching their recipients.
I'm not familiar with Verizon's email system, but many systems have a return receipt option. This will let you know when the recipient has opened your email (assuming they have not elected to override the notification).

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I use two different methods to track, the first tells me it was received by the other server, the second is a request to the reader to let me know they opened it, which they can ignore if they want. The first is automatic and is not working currently. So, I am at a loss to know if they are getting through or not!

I'm now not even receiving my notifications from here! But it is Verizon not anyone else.....

Apparently there were so many problems at one point that Verizon from the DR was spam alert highlighted by yahoo! All emails from verizon.net.do were blocked by yahoo. That has been fixed apparently.

Now I have no idea what the heck is going on..... It is frustrating and annoying. I might have to go drink....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Escott said:
Ok folks, get a freakin web based email account and forget Verizon already.

You guys are just bashers! Viva Yahoo! Viva Google!
Escott is 100% right.
Hotmail, Google, Yahoo, whatever floats your boat.
Verizon not only has problems with it's e-mails, but it's widely known that they are virus prone, so a web based e-mail account is the way to go.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I understand what you are saying. I have other email addresses but my internet connection is via Verizon and there in lies the problems..... Half the time the damn thing won't go thru. For business I have to have accounts other then hotmail or yahoo....

IT is beyond my techno understanding......

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
planner said:
I understand what you are saying. I have other email addresses but my internet connection is via Verizon and there in lies the problems..... Half the time the damn thing won't go thru. For business I have to have accounts other then hotmail or yahoo....

IT is beyond my techno understanding......
Perhaps I misunderstood.
I thought you were using your Verizon account, and that was what was giving you trouble.
Could you explain a bit better what exactly is happening?
Perhaps we can help you fix it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Verizon have been having lots of DNS server issues the past few days.

This is why some peopel cannot access sites outside of the DR.
This also effects outgoing mail as the server cannot resolve the domains.

Best thing is to add a 2nd DNS that is based in the USA.
Look on Google for DNS server IP's that you can use.

Fortunatly DR1 has it's own DNS server based in Dallas, so we get to use that :)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Robert sent me an Invitation to Gmail a couple of years ago......Fantastic, No adverts, No pop ups and loads of Bandwith. I'm very happy and have about 40 Invitations left, So any DR1ers who would like an Invitation just PM Me and I will send you one (Depending on how long they last)

Gringo

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Verizon and Centennial have many issues with sending virusses and spam.
That mixed with the technical (in)competence of the (not so) english speaking tecnician, mixed with "who are you we know it better, pay your bill and don't bother us", mixed with frases as "if the virus bothers you install a virusscanner, we dont have problems with it" will make a tecnical solid and clientfriendly company :tired:

Their mailservers are blocked regularry by organisations as spamcop.net spews and many more.

We had a collision a few month ago (again) with Centennial and a client of us with a G3 internetcard

It was working for a week and after that DEAD
some frases of the conversation:

C>Your username and password are not correctly filled in
D>Sorry, everything according to your papers, but we found that your server are infected by a virus
C>we dont have virusses, you need to install a different version of windows
(client had XP and was changed to 2003 a month before this)
D>are you nuts? you have a virus and there as well your mailserver is blocked
---lots of BS on the phone ---
C>client has to come to the capital, we will fix it here in 30 minutes
D> grumble grumble ok than .... what else will be our future...
In the capital -- no technician -- out for lunch
Finally -- and the long waiting begins -- almost 19:00 there comes the laptop (30 minutes ??? from 14:00-19:00= 5 hours),
C>Sorry sir we need to keep the computer here, we need to install an windowsupgrade and we can do that tomorrowmorning, and your laptop will be ready at noon.
D>SH&^& FU#%$ ok ok stay calm
The client was running from and back to the Centennial office (La vega -> Santo Domingo) for THREE days, and finally he got his laptop, working slooooooooooowwwwww sloooooooooower, and stopped.
We checked the system, MORE THAN 540 VIRUSSES FROM MORE THAN 20 DIFFERENT KINDS !!!!!! and than ADD-AWARE found another 2000 backdoors/trojand/advertisements.
It took us a few hours to cleanup his pc again and we had finally internet.

A few weeks later the client had again problems with his email, and correct , centennial was on the blacklist again, i send the report to them, no answer, send it another 2 times, no answer, finally i called them and the answer was "sorry we don't read those emails because they are in english" - STUPID TECHNICIAN !!! -

I am happy that our internet connection is not through cable or telephoneline ..... Only bad weather conditions can interrupt my connection and not the arogance and unwillingsness of some telephonecompanies here.

This was centennial , but we have some stories from the Verizon front as well.

My friend in La romana i use to call with nr 246-1234
One day when he wanted to pay his Verizon bill, the prolems started
"Sorry sir you give me the wrong number, your number is 246-4321"
WE were a bit confused and look at another bill, this one had the right number, another bill the wrong number.
So we called his house (in front of the girl so she could see it) with 246-1234, and his girlfriends picks up the phone
Than we called the other number , no connection at all
Still she did not belive us, and she even tried both numbers for herself. S(h)ame result

V>"Our computers don't make mistakes, i will send a technician"
D>No don't, that number i have for 6 months and it works ... please don't change anything
Next day his DSL went down - calling Verizon - number is incorrect - but they will resolve it - in the afternoon DSL come back online, number? 246-1234
Next month bill 246-4321 , codetel office "That is not possible"

I need to stop here alse my article will end upin the clows-bin (but there is more)

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not only is my verizon e-mail losing messages and receiving erratically, I can't log into my hotmail which I use as a back up. To the poster who advised me to track messages using return receipt, the verizon additional e-mail account webmail does not appear to have that feature.

Maybe I should get one of those famous gmail addresses once and for all.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for all this information! Gringo can you send me one of those invites please??? I need to do something here.

I've got a Verizon account, and 3 other accounts as well. I need to make changes so that I can access my email when I need to - which is pretty much all the time!!!

Thank goodness I am savvy enough to have firewalls, ad aware and spy bot software. But, I am sure there is more I can be doing!!!

Thanks everyone.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Call Verizon...

220 11 11 and make a reclamation again if done it before.

Here everything works fine, no problems at all either with the verizon account or hotmail accounts.

Make sure your settings are ok ( pop3 and also mark "my account requires authentication ) in the properties of the account.
Also make sure you have changed codetel to verizon.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Carina, I've done all of that already! Made another report again today. I think they are sick of hearing from me!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You need to require them to check the dsl and if that is working, then to send a technican to your office.
They don?t send one if you don?t ask for it.

Basically if you can use internet without a problem, and your other accounts are working, then it is not the dsl that is a problem, but your email authorization, either at your place or at Verizon.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My internet is working no problems at all, the email is intermittent!!!! YEsterday I got hardly any emails thru at all. This morning lots but then nothing. None of my electronic receipts are coming thru at all....

I'll call them again and request a technician but that scares the hell out of me - I hate it when they touch my system. I automatically assume they don't know what they are doing...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
planner said:
My internet is working no problems at all, the email is intermittent!!!! YEsterday I got hardly any emails thru at all. This morning lots but then nothing. None of my electronic receipts are coming thru at all....

I'll call them again and request a technician but that scares the hell out of me - I hate it when they touch my system. I automatically assume they don't know what they are doing...

What program are you using for email? Outlook, Netscape, Microsoft office???
The settings are different for all of them, maybe there is something in the settings there? At least check.

At www.verizon.net.do there are pictures and steps how to authorize your accounts. Try to reinstall it by followint the steps.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
planner said:

Most of them still got their jobs trough family/friends
I absolutely agree with you fears
If your PC is in english it will be Spanlish when they are done (no-joke)
and there is always "mister-know-it-all-better" who will be your worst nightmare

And this is not only for Verizon, but:
A communication Company who ignores software updates in English, has technicians "studing" and playing with the master-computers but don't understand nothing because the only english they know is yes and no, accepts virusses in their network because it does not bother them, is regulary on blacklists for sending those virusses (thanks again for another NimDa attack - it did not work again-), and have technicians running around who thinks that microsoft is the only operating system and billgates invented the internet...
I would not trust them at all .... just figure how it is possible that your connection can be screwed

And another point is the dominican .do domain registration is not alwasy (or always not) synchronised with the rest of the world, its very easy to get lost if you want to lookup a name
(And we all know that this country likes to change cellphonenumbers on daily bases, with the IPaddresses it is almost the same)

BTW hotmail is also not free of lost emails, and evenso other companies who use a (sorry to say) microsoft mailserver (yes Direcway as well)

Yahoo and Gmail gives the lesser problems with free emails, Google is doing ok as well with their new system and for protected emails you can try hushmail.com